Indian Paradox

by fulltimestudent 17 Replies latest social current

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Krishna or Buddha is not seen as a prophet even by ahmadiya Muslims. There is an understanding that there is truth in most religion which is attributed to humanity starting out with truth and it getting mixed with falsehoods. So if a non Muslim religious person speaks with wisdom or truth, it is accepted as such.

there is usually a lot of religious interaction and acceptance in India and elsewhere. It becomes a contentious issue when other aspects of society lose their stability. Folks then want a scapegoat.

Y

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

On the issue of marriage tradition in India, (as well as Iran). My (Punjabi) Indian Sikh neighbor's sister was here for an extended time and her adult son and daughter, she said, were of marriageable age and she felt it was time to get them married off. ( early 20's each of them) So she wrote ads for each, came to me for help in writing and faxing those ads to the proper publication for such things in India.. It was enlightening for me as I didn't know this was the accepted way to marry in that religion/community.

I also know some Muslim Iranians, one brother married in the US to a southern Baptist ( Ok, now that was one very different wedding to say the least!.) The other went back to Iran for his arranged marriage then brought her back to the US.

Both are still happy in their marriages decades later.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Reference the comments on niquab versus burqa, I used the word (burqua) used by the writer in the web journal that ran the image.

Whether use of the descriptive word 'burqa' is based on local usage, or ignorance on the part of the writer, is something that i am unable to answer.

Wikipedia can hardly be considered the final authority on such a matter, but the Wikipedia entry is interesting:

A niqab (/nɪˈkɑːb/; Arabic: نِقابniqāb , "veil" or "mask"; also called a ruband) is a cloth that covers the face as a part of sartorial hijab. It is worn by some Muslim women in public areas and in front of non-mahram adult males, especially in the Hanbali Muslim faith tradition. The niqab is worn in theArab countries of the Arabian Peninsula such as Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, and the UAE. The niqab is also worn in countries such as Somalia,Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh as well as some parts of Palestinian-ruled territories, southern provinces of Iran, and additional areas with sizeable Muslim populations. Because of the wide variety of hijab worn in the Muslim world, it can be difficult to definitively distinguish between one type of veil and another. The terms niqab and burqa are often incorrectly used interchangeably; a niqab covers the face while a burqa covers the whole body from the top of the head to the ground. The Quran instructs Muslim men and women to dress modestly and to guard their private parts. Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niq%C4%81b

An Australian ABC (government owned) media website illustrates the issue.

What are the differences between the burka, niqab and hijab?

Its an issue in Aussie 'red-neck' circles, as it is claimed the full length gown could be used to hide explosives. An interesting matter, as the JWs magazine "Consolation" later re-named as "Awake" made the same claim about Catholic Nuns in the 1930's.

But in goes on to say that:

Why do some Muslim women wear burkas?
    The Koran calls for both men and women to 'cover and be modest'.
    As with many other religious scriptures, the reference to dress is open to interpretation and has been shaped by centuries of cultures in different nations.
    "The Koran does not explicitly say you have to cover yourself in this manner," Dr Ismail said.
    "Some scholars argue that it is a religious obligation, particularly the more conservative factions within the Muslim world. There are many variations and interpretations."
    Dr Ismail is a Muslim and has been wearing her hijab since she was a child.
    "I'm so comfortable wearing it that I can't imagine myself without it. I wear it for cultural reasons, but there are many women who wear it for religious reasons." Reference: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/why-do-muslim-women-wear-a-burka-niqab-or-hijab/5761510

However, there is a possibility that burqa rather than niquab is local usage in India, as the closeness of the two cultures surely means some familiarity with local Muslim usage. On the other, since the journal appears use English, it may simply be a translation issue.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I never really liked the Cowboy and Indian things.

Rub a Dub

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

nor me, rubadub

jwdaughter, I expect that there is controversy about this but here is a quote from a speaker at a Muslim Ahmadyya centre in the UK. For centuries as in Britian, in India too scholars and theologians have used Quarnic verses that are open to interpretation to generate peace and commonalty amongst religions. I think he is probably making the same point as you but is putting it more strongly

https://www.alislam.org/library/links/00000158.html

In short, according to the Ahmadiyya belief, Hadhrat Krishna (as) was a holy Messenger of Allah. He used a language of symbols to convey to the world of that time some truths and if you read the Bhagawat Geeta in detail, it is not just an account of war between two factions. It is, in reality, a masterpiece of description of goodness pitched against evil, or evil pitched against goodness. A battle between darkness and light.
    So these are the fundamental signs which are shown by all the major Prophets of the world that they have become identified with an eternal Super Being and in them you find the 'Alpha' and the 'Omega' and the 'door'. I hope this will be sufficient for you to understand our viewpoint on this issue.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

fulltimestudent

here is another more tongue in cheek pic from that site

http://www.newsnation.in/photos/entertainment/only-happen-in-india-1021/slide7#more

in India only people do not wear dress

Jumbo with jeans

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Ruby456 - fulltimestudent- here is another more tongue in cheek pic from that site.

Thnx Ruby! I note the dress-up is complete with painted toenails. It leaves us wondering whether the elephant is male or female?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

fulltimestudent

in India the elephant is prolly both (tongue in cheek)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit