Why would God want/need worship from you?

by sleepy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    He knew my points were valid. His only response was, "I WILL see my parents in the new order."

Heaven,

That is your uncle's "Teddy Bear in the sky".

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Sleepy,

In born tendancy to worship, my arse.

I havent got one

Nonesence, I'm sure you have an arse. An old Moldavian saying says "A horse without an arse is full of horse sh***"

Sleepy, I'm not saying every individual has an inborn craving to bow down to an idol or some supreme being. Nor do I feel it is as simple as our quest for answers to lifes questions. There is something spiritual built into our nature. Mankind has INVENTED religion from the beginning of time. Early cultures worshipped the stars, the moon, sun and eventually lifeless idols. I know of no ancient culture that did not invent a god and worse, a code of worship.

What historic man has made of his spiritual need is as repulsive to me as it probably is to you. Research into the "God spot" in the brain hopefully will eventually explain this tendency. Meanwhile we have it, just like we have a conscience.

Jst2laws

• sleepy
    sleepy

jst2laws

Research into the "God spot" in the brain hopefully will eventually explain this tendency

I've read some interesting stuff on this before "Phantoms in the brain" by V.S.Ramachandran has a good chapter on it .He found that people with a certain type of epilepsy seemed to have a hightened sense of spiritual awareness and this was linked to an area in the temporal lobes.

Maybe some due todifferent Brain structure do have a desire for "spiritual" things.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Not that people who do have this need have something wrong with them ,they are just different.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I think many feel the need to worship God because of the rewards they may be granted for doing so.

I agree, Heaven. For many if not most religions that's their main purpose in worshipping God. They feel that by following some ritual down to it's exact detail or by doin exactly what he says, that they will be in line for blessings. That's pretty much a universal concept.

Stripped bare of all the embellishments. What's the difference between some priest tellin folks in his village 5,000 yrs ago that if they did thus and so their crops would be abundant and a GB tellin folk that if they do thus and so that they will live forever.

• Solace
    Solace

Else & Bigboi

I feel its almost out of greed. I mean, worshipping or respecting something only for personal gain. If Im going to respect or worship someone or something, its going to be out of admiration or love, not for materialistic or selfish reasons.

• Valis
    Valis
    (W.A.) Bretrand Russell

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi Xena,

You said: As a parent I do expect respect from my daughter....but then again..I take care of her, I talk to her, I listen to her and I try to always be there for her.

Parents who do not interact with their children, who do not respond to them usually end up with children that rebel and act out and ultimately might end up hating their parents and denying their existance.....

hhhmmmm perhaps God needs some parenting lessons???

LOL. How old is your daughter? It doesn't matter how you interact with her while she is young, she will still think you are full of shit when she gets to be a teenager. Don't worry though, she'll eventually get over it and realize that you are an awesome mom.

Love ya Xena,

Robyn

• Xena
    Xena

I don't know Robdar I never considered my mom full of shit......now my DAD on the other hand.....

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This has been a REALLY interesting thread.

We have read for so long about man's innate desire to worship. And I have to agree with many here that I don't believe it exists. The last thing a genuine god would want is to be worshipped. Now psycho-pathic humans - they LOVE to be feared and worshipped.

I think we confuse the way we've tried to deal with our desire for answers about the reason for our existence (by creating gods and religions) with the actual desire itself. I don't believe we have any inborn desire to worship a god. I think the human mind seeks answers - and some in our cultures have created religions. Buddhism is perhaps the greatest example of a spiritual discipline NOT based on worship of a god. That hasn't prevented many forms of Buddhism from embracing some type of god-worship, but it's unnecessary.

God-worship seems more like a diversion to keep simple minds from worrying too much. You're born, you live life depending on the invisible daddy to make everything OK, you live thinking that you'll have a better life somewhere else once you die, and then you die.

Unfortunately, that also means religion's biggest fault is that it can keep you from ever really living inthe here and now.

So perhaps the best answer on the thread was the one from Jesus Christ. And I figure, he ought to know!

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit