NEWSPAPER ARTICLE ON SHUNNING, DF'ING, SILENTLAMBS

by ErieGuy 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• abbagail
    abbagail

Great article and well-researched! Thanks for posting it Erie Guy!

I too am surprised we did not get more critiques of JR Brown's comments by forum posters.

Where can we get more info on this voting in Venezuala? That would be good info to pass around to current-believers.

The article was printed in the Floridian section. Here's the email addy in order to send a whopping THANKS to reporter Tubbs and her researcher Cathy Wos: write to: Floridian: [email protected]

Well, here's my Very Non-Scholarly CRITIQUE OF COMMENTS by JR BROWN in THE ST. PETERSBURG TIMES' article, FWIW!

ST. PETE WROTE: "Jehovah's Witnesses believe disfellowshipping is an act of love, intended to INSPIRE sinners to change their ways so they eventually can apply to be readmitted to the faith."

Grits: How INSPIRING is it when, even if you do have a change of heart, there is no one to help you. Your former JW friends cannot talk to you, nobody will study with you. It's "all on your own" or forget it.

ST. PETE WROTE: "Elders disfellowship 50,000 to 60,000 Witnesses around the world each year, Brown said. 'It's not an unusual occurence, as far as we're concerned, he said.

GRITS: That struck me as funny! If DF'ing is NOT an "unusual occurrence," what does that say about the religion itself and its "faithful adherents"?

ST. PETE WROTE: "In interviews, Jackson and several others said Witnesses are not allowed to socialize with non-Witnesses unless they are proselytizing. Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman, said this is not true..."

GRITS SAYS: Brown is a flat out liar. The PRESSURE and STRONG IMPLICATION taught at the K.Hall and in all of the WTBTS literature is that having any "wordly friends" is a BIG RISK and a BIG "NO NO" because you will become spiritually weak; or you will pick up their bad habits; or they will draw you away from the JW religion. If you have any worldly friends, and the JWs know it, you will be LOOKED DOWN UPON as being "weak." No 'ifs' 'ands' or 'buts' about that.

ST. PETE WROTE: "She became even more disillusioned in the mid 1990s when, she said, elders dismissed her suspicions that a fellow Witness was sexually abusing his 8-year-old daughter. No one called the police.

GRITS AGREES: THIS IS RAMPANT ALL OVER THE COUNTRY & THE WORLD. JR BROWN IS A LIAR WHEN HE SAYS CHILD ABUSE IS INVESTIGATED AND HANDLED. Sure, they "investigate," and find out the only "witness to it" is the one child, and then they say, "Tough Stuff, nothing we can do about it," and that is how it is "HANDLED." More like MAN-HANDLED, Over & Out!

ST. PETE WROTE: "One charge was 'speaking out against a brother' with regard to the child molestation, she said. She said they told her to stop cavorting with her non-Witness friends. And someone had told them what she had said about not feeling God's presence in the Kingdom Hall.

GRITS SAYS: SEE? These elders told her to stay away from her worldly friends, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what JR Brown (Media PR MAN for the WTBTS) said above!

ST. PETE WROTE: "As far as the Watch Tower is concerned, that means Witnesses can't take action against someone unless at least two people can verify an offense happened.

GRITS SAYS: The WTBTS "strains out the gnat (ABUSE VICTIM) but gulps down the camel (MOLESTERS)" by picking and choosing which of the Hebrew laws it wishes to use. In this case of pedophelia, it looks more like they want to "COVER THEIR HIDES," just like the Catholic Church. IMAGE and protecting their money (by not getting sued) is what it boils down to.

ST. PETE WROTE: "That standard is difficult to meet in cases of child molestation, where often only the victim and perpetrator are present."

GRITS SAYS: Yes, can you imagine Jesus himself, after being approached by a child telling Jesus of being abused/molested -- can you see Jesus telling the child, "Run along now. There's nothing I can do about that, because you are the only one saying it. Go on back home now with your [abuser] and suffer some more, and come back and see me when you can PROVE IT at the mouth or two or three of your little playmates once they also have been RAPED by the same individual."

ST. PETE WROTE: "When Bowen described the situation, he says he was told there was nothing to be done -- the man had denied it, so there weren't enough witnesses. He would have to "leave it in Jehovah's hands."

GRITS SAYS: I believe Jehovah God expects us to help children when we hear of it. This "leave it in Jehovah's hands" is another way of saying, "Don't ruffle feathers. Don't make any waves for us." Does Jehovah God expect us to take our own garbage out of our houses and put it on the street for the garbage man to collect? Then why would we expect that Jehovah would not want us to get the GARBAGE OUT of the congregations and put them on the STREET for COLLECTION by the AUTHORITIES? Or should we say, "I am waiting on Jehovah to come INTO MY HOUSE and take out MY garbage for ME." Well, that is exactly what the WTBTS has done... waited and waited... decade after decade, while the atrocities of child rape and molestation continued to grow and spread, like PILED-UP Garbage! And now we can only hope the authorities WILL GO INTO THE HOUSE (of the WTBTS) and TAKE OUT THEIR GARBAGE all the way to jail (i.e., demand they turn over the names of the 23,000 abusers on file at headquarters, etc.).

ST. PETE WROTE: "Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman, ... scoffed at allegations that Witnesses protect child molesters."

GRITS SAYS: JR BROWN is full of baloney. The 5,000+ indivduals who have contacted Bill Bowen and Silent Lambs PROVES BROWN IS A LIAR. In other words, no support and ENCOURAGEMENT, but "keep it quiet, there were NOT two eyewitnesses, so if you speak of this to anyone, you will be disfellowshipped for slander." There are hundreds of accounts of this very thing at the Silent Lambs website and thousands more who have contacted Bowen directly.

ST. PETE WROTE: "The Watch Tower does keep records of people accused of molestation, but the number in the database is far fewer than 23,000, he [Brown] said, declining to give a specific figure.

GRITS SAYS: Funny how Brown had no qualms with stating Specific Figures for how many are Disfellowshipped each year (50,000-60,000). And he had no qualms about stating how many "come back to the truth" each year (30,000-40,000). So why is JR SHY about telling the real figure of Molesters on File at HQ? If the number is so much LOWER, then WHY HIDE IT?? Wouldn't you think Brown would be EAGER to tell this Much Lower Number?? I find this VERY ODD. The man can NOT BE TRUSTED. He speaks with a FORKED TONGUE.

ST. PETE WROTE: "After the Dateline program aired in May, Bowen, Anderson and Anderson's husband were disfellowshipped. A couple who said their daughter had been abused by a Witness were also threatened with excommunication."

GRITS ADDS: If you're speaking of the Pandelos, they WERE disfellowshipped.

ST. PETE WROTE: "The denomination's governing body and a workforce of other Witnesses operate a massive and well-organized religious base with a legal department, publishing house and printing facilities that ship Witness literature and Bibles all over the globe."

GRITS ADDS: And please don't forget the PUBLIC RELATIONS DEPARTMENT! (Which is basically a SCHMOOZE DEPARTMENT for the media and the current JWs who have little contact with the outside world or the internet, so they still believe whatever HQ & Brown tells them).

ST. PETE WROTE: "The governing body also establishes policy for Witnesses to live by that it says is based on the Bible. Witnesses cannot vote, receive blood transfusions or salute the flag, among other restrictions"

GRITS ASKS: Wasn't JR Brown quoted in the not-too-distant past as saying that that voting was a matter of conscience? Or was that military service? As far as blood transfusions, there are certain parts of blood that now ARE ALLOWED. SIDE NOTE: I found this link about the voting issue. JR Brown told a NY radio station that voting was a "matter of conscience." http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/spokesman.htm ----- and this one about the blood: Then there is the case of the "Blood in Bulgaria" where the Society's lawyers agreed that blood transfusions are a matter of conscience! Say WHAT? http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/euro_blood.htm

ST. PETE WROTE: "Brown said Witnesses believe that sexual activity between men and women should "follow the normal course" of things. "We feel that oral or anal intercourse would go beyond that."

GRITS ASKS: I THOUGHT THE WTBTS FINALLY DECIDED TO GET OUT OF THE BEDROOM A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO?

ST. PETE WROTE: "By 1980 ... a march at Watch Tower headquarters. ... nothing more than "false prophets."

GRITS ADDS: Make that False PROFITS.

ST. PETE WROTE: "Brown says disfellowshipping INSPIRES wrongdoers to come back to the religion. Those who want to reapply can do so, but they must adhere to Witnesses' policies. They are allowed inside the Kingdom Halls but are IGNORED by the other congregants until readmitted to the faith."

GRITS SAYS: Who in their RIGHT MIND thinks BEING IGNORED EQUALS INSPIRATION? WAIT! I'm having a REVELATION!! NEW Scriptural Light: Jesus said, "IGNORE your neighbor as YOURSELF." And this New Scripture: "There is MORE HAPPINESS in IGNORING than there is in LOVING." Or how about this one: "Truly I tell you, the ANGELS IN HEAVEN before my Father REJOICE over one sinner who is IGNORED." And this: "TOUGH LOVE (IGNORING) promotes FINE WORKS." Or this one: "For God LOVES a CHEERFUL IGNORER." Oops! Another one just popped into my head: "Broad and Spacious is the road leading off to the IGNORERS, and MANY are participating in it; but narrow and cramped is the road of the IGNORED, and few if any are putting up with it." Seriously, how did things go for JR or anyone else for that matter, when they IGNORED THEIR MATE, IGNORED THEIR BOSS, IGNORED THEIR KIDS, IGNORED THEIR DOG, for any length of time? Yes, it works WONDERS when we IGNORE people! Great Human Relations Tactic! The WTBTS should get the Nobel Peace Prize for that bit o' T.L.C. Wisdom.

ST. PETE WROTE: "Each year, Brown said, 30,000 to 40,000 are reinstated, having 'come back to their spiritual senses.'"

GRITS SAYS: Yes, and those that do, do it WITH NO HELP and NO THANKS, THANK YOU, from their "TRUE CHRISTIAN" Brethren who are supposedly KNOWN BY such LOVING FRUITS of IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE, while we SNORE & SNORE & SNORE. -- Seriously, who believes that number? 50,000-60,000 are DF'd each year, yet 30,000-40,000 turn right back around and go back in? With the advent of the internet, I bet that figure is much less.

END OF COMMENTARY by GRITS.

• witchywoman
  • witchywoman
    witchywoman

Got a copy to show to my family at the appropriate time. Thanks, I really needed it.

witchywoman

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    "No matter what they tell you, you will always be my daughter and I will always love you," Jackson recently wrote in a letter to her daughter, to no avail.

Mrs Ozzie and I could relate to this. Mrs Ozzie has written the same letter to her children.

Cheers, Ozzie

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Here is the article for when it can no longer be acced from the site.

Spiritual shunning

When Jehovah's Witnesses
    excommunicate, or
    ''disfellowship,'' a member,
    even the closest human ties
    can be severed without
    question.

By SHARON TUBBS, Times Staff
    Writer
    St. Petersburg Times
    published August 22, 2002

ST.
    PETERSBURG --
    As far as her
    children and
    6-million people
    around the world
    are concerned,
    Shirley Jackson is
    as good as dead,
    has been for seven
    years.

In 1995, Jackson, a
    home health care
    worker and a
    nanny who lives in
    St. Petersburg, was
    "disfellowshipped,"
    or
    excommunicated,
    from Jehovah's
    Witnesses.
    Disfellowshipping
    is among the Witnesses' highest forms
    of discipline, reserved for those who
    disobey religious teachings and will
    not repent.

Witnesses are told to immediately
    shun the disfellowshipped, who are
    said to be certain to die at
    Armageddon. Witnesses must pass
    them on the street without so much as
    a hello. Sons, daughters, mothers and
    fathers are expected to cut off
    relatives, making exceptions only in
    cases of family business or
    emergency.

"No matter what they tell you, you
    will always be my daughter and I will
    always love you," Jackson recently
    wrote in a letter to her daughter, to no
    avail. Rather than strengthen families,
    Jackson says, the Witnesses tear them
    apart.

Disfellowshipping is little known to
    outsiders, who recognize Witnesses
    only as the people who pass out
    magazines on Saturday mornings. But
    scandal in the denomination has
    opened a door to its core beliefs and
    operations.

In recent months, at least three
    Witnesses were disfellowshipped
    after talking to Dateline NBC about
    church leaders' handling of child
    molestation allegations. The action
    made national headlines and spurred
    former Witnesses worldwide to step
    forward with their stories.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe
    disfellowshipping is an act of love,
    intended to inspire sinners to change
    their ways so they eventually can
    apply to be readmitted to the faith.

The sanction is based on I Corinthians
    5, which directs Witnesses to
    "remove the wicked from among
    yourselves" and is necessary, said
    Witnesses national spokesman J.R.
    Brown, to preserve the religion's
    "moral integrity and cleanliness" in a
    corrupt world soon to be destroyed by
    God Jehovah.

Jehovah's Witness elders -- all are
    men -- are the equivalent of ministers
    in other religions. Though unpaid,
    they take on responsibilities such as
    teaching Bible lessons and passing on
    denomination policy. They also
    investigate Witnesses accused of
    committing crimes against other
    Witnesses. In some of these cases, the
    police are never called.

Among the elders' primary tasks is
    serving on small judicial committees
    that hear confessions and decide
    whether an offense is worthy of
    excommunication.

Excommunications are announced to
    the congregation, but elders never say
    why a person was expelled. Witnesses
    can only guess from a long list of
    offenses that range from smoking
    cigarettes to manslaughter.
    Homosexuality, fornication,
    drunkenness, slander, fraud,
    gambling, apostasy, fits of anger and
    violence, and adultery are others.

The excommunication announcement
    tells members to begin shunning that
    person. If they don't, they, too, risk
    being disfellowshipped. Fear of being
    disfellowshipped is gripping for many
    Witnesses. Because they believe that
    only Witnesses will be saved from
    death, many don't associate with
    non-Witnesses.

Being disfellowshipped, then, means
    losing your circle of friends, not to
    mention family members who remain
    in the faith.

Elders disfellowship 50,000 to 60,000
    Witnesses around the world each
    year, Brown said.

"It's not an unusual occurence, as far
    as we're concerned," he said.

Jackson, 54, had been a Witness for
    nearly 20 years when she began
    having doubts.

In 1993, she said, her husband
    gathered his belongings in the middle
    of the night and abandoned her as she
    and her children slept. She said he
    had been violent, and she decided to
    divorce him. But Witnesses told her
    the only biblical justification for
    divorce is adultery, which she could
    not prove he had committed.

Jackson was also on shaky ground
    with the Witnesses because she had
    close friends who were not in the
    faith, she said. In interviews, Jackson
    and several others said Witnesses are
    not allowed to socialize with
    non-Witnesses unless they are
    proselytizing.

Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman,
    said this is not true, although differing
    interests sometimes make such
    relationships difficult.

After her husband left her, Jackson
    continued going to the Kingdom Hall
    five times a week and performing 10
    hours of door-to-door service each
    month, but she didn't feel very
    spiritual. One day while going door to
    door, Jackson mentioned to another
    Witness, "When I go into a Kingdom
    Hall, I don't feel God's presence is
    there."

She became even more disillusioned
    in the mid 1990s when, she said,
    elders dismissed her suspicions that a
    fellow Witness was sexually abusing
    his 8-year-old daughter. No one
    called the police.

But law enforcement authorities
    eventually got involved, and the girl
    was found in a trashed home, having
    eaten ketchup sandwiches to quell
    hunger, Jackson said. Some months
    later, Kenneth Donald Weaver was
    arrested and placed on community
    control in 1995 for sexual activity
    with a child. Weaver, who has a
    lengthy criminal history, is now in
    prison.

Wavering in her beliefs, Jackson
    decided not to attend an annual
    assembly for Witnesses.

Her daughter was upset and told
    elders. They went to her home for a
    visit. They had charges against her,
    Jackson said:

One charge was "speaking out against
    a brother" with regard to the child
    molestation, she said. She said they
    told her to stop cavorting with her
    non-Witness friends. And someone
    had told them what she had said
    about not feeling God's presence in
    the Kingdom Hall.

The elders told her she had 24 hours
    to change her ways, Jackson said. She
    refused to comply and was
    disfellowshipped, her name
    announced in front of the
    congregation. She was not present.

Her daughter was 17 at the time. She
    moved out to live with other
    Witnesses, has not held a
    conversation with Jackson since and
    is now married and living in Alabama.

Two of Jackson's three sons are also
    Witnesses and don't speak to her, she
    said.

[AP photo]
    William Bowen, a former Jehovahs
    Witness elder, stands near the Kingdom
    Hall in Marshall County, Ky., where he
    worshipped before he was
    disfellowshipped for criticizing the
    churchs handling of child sex abuse
    allegations.

As with the Catholic Church, child
    molestation cases have brought the
    inner workings of Jehovah's
    Witnesses to the forefront. One case
    in Kentucky prompted former elder
    William Bowen to start asking
    questions.

At the center of the cases is the
    two-witness rule. The Witnesses
    abide strictly by their Bible, the New
    World Translation. The translation is
    published by the Watch Tower Bible
    and Tract Society, the nonprofit
    organization in Brooklyn, N.Y., that
    acts as the Witnesses' headquarters
    and overseer.

Deuteronomy 19:15: No single
    witness should rise up against a man
    respecting any error or any sin, in the
    case of any sin that he may commit.
    At the mouth of two witnesses or at
    the mouth of three witnesses the
    matter should stand good.

As far as the Watch Tower is
    concerned, that means Witnesses
    can't take action against someone
    unless at least two people can verify
    an offense happened.

That standard is difficult to meet in
    cases of child molestation, where
    often only the victim and perpetrator
    are present.

About two years ago, Bowen began to
    suspect that a fellow elder in his
    congregation near Paducah was
    abusing the elder's daughter. In a
    review of Witness files, Bowen found
    that the elder had previously been
    accused of molesting someone else.
    Bowen says he got further proof that
    the daughter might also have been
    molested.

In keeping with Witness policy, he
    called the Watch Tower's legal
    department in Brooklyn for guidance.
    The department is staffed with
    lawyers who are Jehovah's Witnesses.

When Bowen described the situation,
    he says, he was told there was nothing
    to be done -- the man had denied it,
    so there weren't enough witnesses. He
    would have to "leave it in Jehovah's
    hands."

Other former Witnesses who served
    as elders around the nation have since
    reported similar experiences.

Disgusted, Bowen resigned as an
    elder and started a nonprofit
    organization and a Web site for
    Witnesses who were victims of
    molestation.

Thousands logged onto his "silent
    lambs" site, he says. Many told stories
    of abuse that elders did not believe.

Bowen, 45, went public with his
    story. He and several other Witnesses
    were featured on Dateline NBC. One
    woman, Barbara Anderson, had
    worked in the Watch Tower's
    research department and was
    concerned that the organization
    wasn't following up on abuse cases.

Bowen contends that tipsters told him
    the organization keeps a database
    with the names of 23,000 accused
    molesters.

Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman,
    would not discuss specific cases, but
    he scoffed at allegations that
    Witnesses protect child molesters.
    Yes, Witnesses believe in the
    two-witness rule, he said, but that's
    not the only way wrongdoers can be
    caught.

"It cannot be said that we will do
    nothing unless there are two
    witnesses," Brown said. He said
    Witnesses are not required to report
    crimes to elders before calling civil
    authorities. Victims and their families
    are free to call police at will, he said,
    although some don't choose to.

Elders' investigations work
    hand-in-hand with what Witnesses
    sometimes call "Caesar's law," Brown
    said. "We're not handling the
    criminality of this," he said. "We're
    handling the sin."

The Watch Tower does keep records
    of people accused of molestation, but
    the number in the database is far
    fewer than 23,000, he said, declining
    to give a specific figure.

Watch Tower officials use the
    database to ensure that a person
    against whom a credible allegation of
    molestation is made won't be elevated
    to positions of authority. Also, Brown
    said, if a person is accused in separate
    incidents, Witness officials have a
    record of that history and will look
    into the matter seriously.

After the Dateline program aired in
    May, Bowen, Anderson and
    Anderson's husband were
    disfellowshipped. A couple who said
    their daughter had been abused by a
    Witness were also threatened with
    excommunication.

The modern Watch Tower Bible and
    Tract Society began with a small
    group of Bible students near
    Pittsburgh and was incorporated in
    1884. Back then, about 50 believers
    traveled door-to-door full time,
    spreading their beliefs.

They were largely successful in the
    next few years in convincing people
    that the end of the world, or
    Armageddon, was imminent and that
    only Jehovah's Witnesses would
    survive.

Witnesses don't believe in a burning
    hell. Non-Witnesses will simply be
    killed in the end. The vast majority of
    Witnesses will live forever on Earth,
    which will become a paradise once rid
    of the evil perpetuated by a society of
    nonbelievers. A select group of
    Witnesses -- 144,000, to be exact --
    will live in heaven with Jesus Christ.
    This, based on a passage in the Book
    of Revelation, is referred to as "the
    heavenly hope."

The denomination's governing body
    and a workforce of other Witnesses
    operate a massive and well-organized
    religious base with a legal department,
    publishing house and printing
    facilities that ship Witness literature
    and Bibles all over the globe.

The Watch Tower keeps detailed
    accounts of the number of hours each
    Witness goes door-to-door, the
    number of home Bible studies
    completed and records of those who
    have been disfellowshipped.

The governing body also establishes
    policy for Witnesses to live by that it
    says is based on the Bible. Witnesses
    cannot vote, receive blood
    transfusions or salute the flag, among
    other restrictions.

Not even the marriage bed is beyond
    the Watch Tower's purview.

Brown said Witnesses believe that
    sexual activity between men and
    women should "follow the normal
    course" of things. "We feel that oral
    or anal intercourse would go beyond
    that."

Couples are often counseled
    accordingly before marriage, Brown
    said. Guilt-ridden Witnesses have
    gone before judicial committees to
    confess wayward sex acts with their
    spouses.

The Watch Tower predicted several
    times in the 1900s that Armageddon
    would occur. The organization grew
    as people were baptized Witnesses,
    hoping to join the only "true" religion
    before it was too late.

Joseph F. Rutherford, once the Watch
    Tower's president, was convinced that
    1925 would mark the year that
    forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
    would return to earth. Rutherford had
    a large mansion built in California so
    they would have a place to live. The
    mansion was later sold.

Decades passed. Then Witnesses
    declared that the end would arrive in
    1975. Some sold their homes, packed
    up and hit the road, going
    door-to-door to recruit as many
    people as they could. Young adults
    refused to go to college. Couples put
    off having children.

Diane Gholson of Spring Hill was
    among those anticipating
    Armageddon. In 1974, she feverishly
    wrote letters to her husband's Baptist
    relatives, begging them to become
    Witnesses before it was too late.

"When it didn't come, my husband
    said, 'Maybe they're off by a year,' "
    she said.

They waited. And waited.

By 1980, Gholson said, they'd had
    enough. In 1982, they were part of a
    group of Witnesses who participated
    in a march at Watch Tower
    headquarters. Watch Tower leaders,
    they charged, were nothing more than
    "false prophets."

Gholson was disfellowshipped.

Shirley Jackson, who had been
    baptized in 1974 in case the end did
    come, was unswayed, however. She
    accepted the Watch Tower's
    explanation that the "light" of God's
    word was getting brighter.

Brown says disfellowshipping inspires
    wrongdoers to come back to the
    religion. Those who want to reapply
    can do so, but they must adhere to
    Witnesses' policies. They are allowed
    inside the Kingdom Halls but are
    ignored by the other congregants until
    readmitted to the faith.

Each year, Brown said, 30,000 to
    40,000 are reinstated, having "come
    back to their spiritual senses."

Jackson now goes to Glad Tidings
    Assembly of God church in St.
    Petersburg. She is happy there and
    says she can sense God's presence in
    the sanctuary. She regrets ever
    believing what the Witnesses taught
    her.

Only her youngest child, a
    17-year-old son, was not baptized a
    Witness. He lives with Jackson and
    her new husband.

"It hurts," Jackson said of her broken
    family. "But I'm not bitter. I want to
    help people who are going through
    this."

-- Times researcher Cathy Wos
    contributed to this report.

• ErieGuy
    ErieGuy

TWO Letters To The Editor regarding this article: (Tab to bottom.)

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/27/Opinion/Keep_children_at_the_.shtml

• ErieGuy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit