Secrect of your Marriage

by Crystal 45 Replies latest social relationships

• Crystal
    Crystal

Who here has been married...10 years or more?Is it a great marriage and what is the secret of keeping it together?

• Crystal
    Crystal

oops ..sorry ..just noticed i put this in the wrong place.

• larc
    larc

Secret of a long marriage? Don't try to control or change the other person. Accept them as they are, with all their beauty and all their warts, both physically and interpersonally.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

15+ years here.

Secret? Why ME of course! Who would want to divorce me?

Seriously, I still like to hang out with the guy. We still laugh a lot. We have common goals and interests.

I remember hearing something on the radio about the secrets for a long marriage. One of the reasons sited was that in long term happy marriages, the husband tends to idealize the wife. True? I'm not sure, but it's something to ponder.

Andee

• Englishman
    Englishman

28+ here.

We're good friends. I like it best when she's with me. I fancy her like crazy.

Then there's her secret smile.....

Englishman.

• badwillie
    badwillie

11 years for us. agree with everyone else.

lots of time together helps.

• LB
    LB

27 years here. I'm sure it's the best thing that's ever happend to her. No secret. Just be nice.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have been together almost 40 years (December 29). We have often talked about why we are so good together, and have boiled it down to these things:

1. We communicate. I mean we TALK.............about everything. (almost everything.......see #4)
    2. We are careful about trying to control the other one (this one takes a lot of time.............decades!!!)
    3. Allow the other one their own interests, and don't feel slighted when they want to be alone sometimes.
    4. Privacy..........you are allowed private thoughts, and private conversations. If I have a friend who asks me to keep a confidence, then that includes keeping it from David.
    5. Every night, when he gets home from work, we sit down together and talk about our day for just a little while, before dinner.
    6. We hug and kiss every day and tell each other "I love you". Everyone needs to hear it and feel the hugs!

I think #1 is the most important. I am amazed when I talk to my friends, and find out that they rarely talk to their husbands.

I don't think these things are secrets, and we just fell into our lives, but it works. We are very happy together, and I can't imagine a life without him. He feels the same way. I love hearing him tell people how much he enjoys my company.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

November 27th will be 20 years for Bill and I!

We have a good marriage and I think it is because we are best friends first and formost, we are also compatable which helps tremendously because we don't get on one anothers nerves very often.We communicate well and are honest with one another too.

We just have lots of fun together no matter what we are doing.

LOL, Life is never dull with Bill.

Sheila Bowen

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

almost 15 years....

What Mulan wrote--same for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit