Ethics Discussion of WTS Blood Policy

by Marvin Shilmer 33 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Scully
    Scully

Lee & Sam:
    >>>"Another important aspect of this case had to do with the congregationand the elders. They would come in, especially during her lastadmission, to visit her. We felt like they were checking upon her. They would come in to watch and to ask questions andto see what we were doing and to see what we were hanging. Ifwe went in and hung the bovine hemoglobin while they were there,she would say to them, "This isnt blood." She would haveto clarify what was being hung. We felt like we were being watchedto make sure that we were doing the right thing according totheir beliefs. When she went to the MICU, there was always someonethere, watching to make sure that no one would hang blood. Therewas a lack of trust."<<<

It's really sad to see this deeply ingrained and entrenched lack of trust for the medical profession by JWs. To call it a "lack of trust" is probably the nicest way of putting it though. More often than not, it's a case of outright DISTRUST, or the assumption that medical staff are "out to get" JWs, and will ambush, pressure or even trick the JW into taking blood. This kind of paranoia makes it difficult for the health care professional to form a working relationship with the JW patient. Many of them would prefer to get their health information from the pages of the Watchtower rather than from doctors and nurses who are trained in the field, and think they know so much better than people who have spent years in training and gaining expertise in their professions. (After all, reading the Awake! is supposed to be the equivalent of a college degree, right??

I've had to explain this mentality to my colleagues on more than one occasion. They find working with JWs to be very frustrating. Other than trying to inform my colleagues about where this underlying attitude comes from, I can't think of much else to do to make the situation better.

Love, Scully

• waiting
    waiting

This is such a GREAT thread!

My husband's jw mother just had a stint put in, and eye surgery a couple of weeks before that. Her elder son or his pioneer wife was by her side the ENTIRE time. We just thought they were kinda weird about it.......but the elder kept saying "It's a good thing I was there (on several different occasions when it was totally unnecessary - even by his wife's standards) because I could talk to the doctors about her medications and the blood issue."

What was remarkable was that she had checked NO BLOOD on her long WT document and was unaware of the WT changes. So was elder (and he's only 52). A jw nurse came in with the 2-page WT article (well worn and xeroxed) explaining to them (mother was drugged by then) that the mother could take so many components NOW. Nurse whited out mother's initials, and son initialed for mother........and everything was hunky dorey - mother never even realized that *she* had received New LIght and agreed with it!

Lol........the mother was secretly tickled that 3 nurses realized it was her 82 Birthday, ordered her 2 pieces of special cake, and then came in and sang Happy Birthday to her. Mother told us (the apostates) and not her elder son about this though. She fussed about the pagan ritual.......all the while smiling because it was the first Birthday Song she had ever received.

I've been reading this thread outloud to my husband - total amazement at the discrepancies in the WTBTS that we believed had The Truth. Like Sam said "All lies."

waiting

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

As a nurse, I often deal as patient advocate and I couldn't help but notice this bit.

She was very scared. Shed say to us, "Please help me. Please pray for me." It was very difficult for us to watch as she declined.

Sh e was so unsure of what she was doing, how frightening for her. It was o bvious that she didn't find solitude in the prayers of the 'glorious ones' - or the unusual sacrifice.

But they had drilled her well enough to keep control of her body. I haven't dealt with jovies on the ward yet - pray that I give them a serious and shame inflicting arse kicking when I do.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 10 September 2002 4:28:44

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Paduan:

As a nurse, I often deal as patient advocate and I couldn't help but notice this bit.

She was very scared. Shed say to us, "Please help me. Please pray for me." It was very difficult for us to watch as she declined.

Sh e was so unsure of what she was doing, how frightening for her. It was o bvious that she didn't find solitude in the prayers of the 'glorious ones' - or the unusual sacrifice.

But they had drilled her well enough to keep control of her body. I haven't dealt with jovies on the ward yet - pray that I give them a serious and shame inflicting arse kicking when I do.

I didn't realize that you are a nurse too! Lots of us on the board, I think.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit