possible baseball strike - your opinion?

by jack2 7 Replies latest social physical

• jack2
    jack2

Ah yes, Major League Baseball is about to shoot itself in the foot again, as the Player's Union has set an August 30th strike deadline.

Personally, I feel that these bozos (owners and players included) can't be so dumb as to actually jeapordize this season, just as they ruined the 1994 season. Or can they?

How do you feel about a possible baseball strike? Do you care? Were you one of those who 'left' as a fan after the 1994 work stoppage? Do you feel that baseball has already been ruined by greed and disregard for the fans?

Edited by - jack2 on 17 August 2002 9:16:57

• mike047
    mike047

I don't know,JACK......

MIKE

• outnfree
    outnfree
    How do you feel about a possible baseball strike?

I feel they are shooting themselves in the foot (again!!!)

Do you care?

No.

Were you one of those who 'left' as a fan after the 1994 work stoppage? Do you feel that baseball has already been ruined by greed and disregard for the fans?

Yes and yes.

• LB
    LB

Makes you wonder how many homers players like Bonds would have ended up with in his career had there not been so many work stopages.

Then again Willie Mays missed 3 seasons total because of military service and still got 660.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I live in MINNESOTA, and as such am a big Twins fan. For those who don't follow it, this has been the "big year" the low-budget Twins have been building for. They are ahead in their division by 13 games, with 39 games left in the regular season.

And now we're on the verge of losing a dream season because of... what? The owners and players cannot decide how to divide a growing income stream? The OWNERS already have their luxury tax AND a form of revenue-sharing between rich teams and poor, so why are they insisting on a salary cap too? Why can't they simply exercise fiscal restraint?

There is enough greed and enough villains on both sides -- millionaire players and billionaire owners, conspiring to take our September pennant races and October playoffs away. FOO on them all! This will be NINE work stoppages since 1972.

C'mon major league baseball -- remember 1994 when there was a similar work stoppage, and no real changes were made. Only thing that happened -- the Montreal Expos (another low-budget team) got cheated out of a chance to win the world series.

• neyank
    neyank

It's pathetic how much these guys make playing a kids game.

That's right. A kids game.

Sure it's a fun sport to play but, when you are
    paying guys millions of dollars to hit and catch a ball there's something that gets lost in the game.

Let these guys go on strike.

That way, people who love to play for the fun of it will get a lot more enjoyment as well as attention for playing.

ie: high school and college teams, pick up games as well as orginized town leagues.

neyank

• jack2
    jack2

Gopher, good points made from the perspective of a Twins fan. I have been watching the FOX broadcast of the STL - Phil game today, and the announcers were just commenting on the effect the strike could have on the Twins fans, who first had to endure the possible folding of the team, and now have to deal with the possibility of a great season being ruined by the strike, should it happen.

• heathen
    heathen

This is totally sicking ,it took me years before I could stand to watch baseball after the last strike ,I am so sick of watching these greedy basturds raking the fans over the coals and screwing us out of world series .I say the hell with them and let's get the hockey and football underway.By the time they're done you will be paying 10$ a beer .I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit