H20 vs JWD

by Amazing 25 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

sigh. I used to be a apologetic member at the old h20 when I still believed in a reform that I thought was already going on. I remember my first comment with the pseudo "Waiting". Man, was I excited and feared to be traced by the elders. ;-)

It was some kind of secret in the beginning: I remember first there really ought to be JW in somewhat good standing only. The Sysops remained anonymous. I was like a fifth coloumn. :-) Soon, the Top Apostate like Kent et al entered. That was a change, I remember some were offended but the board lived in.

I remember some fights I had with Kent et al. :-) (p. 141 of Kings, The Nazi State and the New Religions). I was not a regular contributor but I read it almost every single day. (Same with JWD.)

h20 helped me to think about some things and discuss my thoughts anonymously. I would not be the guy I am today without h20.

When h20 went down I came here. I don't remember if that was after some time and how I learnt about this place.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

H2O was fantastic in its day. Kind of an idiosyncratic place that really helped me when I started going there about 1996. It really saddened me to see the other post about Simon and moderation, it's what started to happen on H2O. This forum has an edit feature that H2O never did, so self-moderation is possible once you've recovered from a rush of blood!

H2O got to be really silly when the focus of the place went to it's internal politics instead of JW issues. Eventually I tired of the nonsense and stopped going. A year or so ago somthing brought the good things of it back to mind and I hunted and hunted for H2O eventually finding this unfamilier place. I did more hunting and found this place with pleanty of familier names and a good feel. So I started reading and occasionally posting and now read it each day posting when I feel like it.

I hope this place dosn't decend into such a mess. I doubt it will.

Cheers, Max

• Farkel
    Farkel

Amazing,

: Now Enters Farkel

I get blamed for everything!

Just because I'm demonized is no reason to rub it in!

Farkel

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I was never on H2O...but from what I have seen of the defenders/moderators I would not have lasted much longer than a day.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Farkel: yep, your're deeemonizzzzzed alright ... rub it in rub it in ... yea! Btw: You asked on another thread how I have been doing. I am doing okay actually ... no real chest pain in the last two weeks, and no need to take nitroglycerin since then either. I am not totally out of the woods, and I get a little tired, but day to day, I am basically okay. My only headache are the remaining bills, and the next step to find insurance so I can have the by-pass surgery.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Amazing,

H20 was a "man's" place, a place where both men and women were required to be men and to speak and attack as men do.

JWD, is a "women's" place, a place where feelings are given their due importance. Here both men and women are given the respect to think as they choose to, whether that is like "women" and or like "men", with intellect and feeling.

When Farkel and the rest of the H20 "men" left, that board lost its spirit because he and the other "great" men there had PULL, and they knew that the departure of the great males on that board would be the end of H20. Here though they do not have the same kind of influence because this board tends to be more balanced than H20, it gives heed to both the stereotypical "male" voice as well as the stereotypical "female" voice.

JWD is more aligned to the real world than H20 ever was!!

IW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

IW,

I had not thought of things quite that way. In doing so I think that you are correct. This Board is more about 'tone' than personality and subsequently it can lose personalities without the 'tone' altering.

Good observation - HS ( the spiritual hemaphrodite....lol )

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi IW and HS: Interesting point of view. I likewise never thought of H20 as a man's place. When I joined there were many women there who had a strong voice and highly respected, like Ros. I just saw H20 as fun because some of my friends were there, like AF, who I knew from Oregon --- before the Internet, and before we left the JWs. I guess H20 had a tone that was affected by a certain core group --- but I came along long after it had grown into a large forum --- and I just didn't notice any particular tone.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Amazing,

When I joined there were many women there who had a strong voice and highly respected, like Ros.

Yes, "a strong voice" was respected but not the "little" voices! I know because I posted as "Alice" on H2O and "Alice" was put down because she did not go along with the "big" voices on H2O, she tried to speak her mind as small as it was! Waiting once commented on the flow of testosterone on H2O, it's true testosterone was well respected there. Any woman who spoke as if she too had the "elixer of life", was also respected! :)

IW

• AGuest
    AGuest

Hmmm... "'Now Enters Farkel...' 'I get blamed for everything!'" Uhhh, not QUITE, Daddy-O...and peace to you my dear one! "NL2 was taken over by AGuest aka Shelby who wanted to speak messages of peace from God that no one wanted to hear..." And not quite to you, too, dear Amazing (and, of course, peace to you, too, my brother...). NL2 was set up by NewLight2 as an alternative place for ANYONE to speak "freely", when such speech was not permitted on H20. Although claiming to be a sight 'directed by Christ' (or something to that effect), H20 had a hard time with what the Spirit was saying to them; (those of Israel who visited that sight) and about the Society (who the H20 "leaders" now KNOW to be 'false', which was NOT the case initially). When AGuest aka Shelby... aka me... was "publicly reproved" by the H20 'leaders' and had my "privileges revoked"...for 30 days... for the second time... for speaking the truth (okay, not all accepted that, but it was the truth), I was invited to NL2 to continue speaking... to those who would hear... And there were some, many, in fact, who came there and we continued our interchange(s). As to the ultimate demise of H20, however, on several occasions during my time there, I cautioned H20 and its 'leaders' regarding their hypocrisy: they were chagrined because they couldn't speak openly and honestly within the Organization, but instead had to 'hide' and operate undercover, for fear of reprisal (many wouldn't reveal their true names for some time, as it is here)... Yet, on their forum, they were demanding the same thing from their members that ones say only what they approved of, and if not, such ones ran the risk of "private reproof"(a personal email from a moderator/administrator); "marking"(deletion of a thread and a post on the board stating, in code, why. Which, in effect, labeled such one as a troublemaker); "public reproof" (where the poster was prohibited from posting for a period of 30 days... or more); and ultimately, "disfellowshipping" (banning from the sight altogether). Although many could not SEE this (perhaps because although protesting they did not, they still had their WTBTS "blinders" on), the site had the same qualities as the Organization, "elders/moderators" who trusted in their OWN understanding as to what was right and/or true; yet, such ones while sitting "in judgment" were/are imperfect themselves. This led to bias, prejudice, and in some/many cases, contempt, if not outright hatred of some and what they were saying. Although what was said could not be disproved or discredited, many tried. Ultimately, before being 'disfellowshipped' myself, I was directed to issue a warning to the leaders of H20 that with the same judgment that THEY had judged... and the same condemnation... silence...which was done in opposition to the VERY thing that THEY desired (to be able to speak truth and in the WTBTS... and not be judged, condemned and killed/ostracized for doing so)... they would BE judged. Truly, although many will not confess remembering it this way (for to do so would be, what... RIGHT?! And we can't have THAT, can we?!)... what was spoken to them by means of holy spirit.....has come to pass. And now I see that the same argument that arises here on JW.com from time to time has resurfaced: should the site be moderated? Truly, it already has a moderator, it's designer, Simon, who is, in my humble opinion, a very level-headed person... (Problem is, though, Simon, when you start asking for... and taking... "donations". Because it is a very difficult thing to ask folks for money, and then censor them. Sooner or later, someone's going to be upset with that. It's what happens when people pay for something: they demand that certain rights come with their purchase.) Personally, I LOVE JW.com... and all of those here. First, for its/their tolerance of me and granting me freedom of speech. There is a certain amount of love in that, undeniably. Yes, it gets pretty 'colorful' from time to time, but that's the risk I run coming here... I know WHERE I am... in the 'world'. But I also know WHO I am... and so I don't have to be LIKE the 'world'... whether that 'world' consists of people who need to be vulgar or crass, or people who need to hateful... and/or hypocritical. I only return to 'rolling in the mire' when I do AS they DO. Otherwise, I do my 'thing', as my Lord has seen fit to direct me. Second, I love jw.com because of its diversity in topics. True, my topics tend to be along the same vein, but from time to time, I deviate. And I have met some GREAT people through this medium. So, I would just state to all... sit back and enjoy the ride. If it gets a bit too fast or bumpy for you, get off (or ask the 'operator' to let you off)... permanently... or until it calms down. Which it ALWAYS does. Or, alternatively, pick which subforum you would be better suited to visit. This one, though, "Friends" is about the fastest "ride" in Simon's "park", excluding a couple others. But your options are not limited, thanks to Simon. He had the insight to understand that we are all different, and, therefore, may need different... ummmm.... forums... wherein to express ourselves. I bid you all peace! YOUR servant and a slave of Christ, SJ

corrected formatting - simon

Edited by - Simon on 17 August 2002 19:4:48

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit