Should I Go To College?

by joeshmoe 29 Replies latest jw friends

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Like a typical witness goody-goody-two-shoes, I eschewed college in favor of "theocratic pursuits" when I was a teen (i.e. over 5 yrs at bethel). Now, at age 26, with my eyes opened and purged of the witness insanity, Im thinking about college again.

Im not really interested in some diploma that will help me earn more on the job market. Im fairly content to be in the modest income bracket. Id really just like to learn more about the world and myself. Besides, I truly dont know what I want to do with my life (although college may not necessarily help with that!).

My big problem is tuition costs. I skipped out on a free ride when I was in high school (accepted to University of Texas with a full/partial scholarship option). It makes me a little sick to think about now.

I know some on this board have gone back to college. How did you afford it? Did you find any kind of financial aide available?

I also cant decide if I should go all out (as in a four-year, live on campus, do the sorority thing, all-out college experience) or just take a few classes at a local community college/night school type thing. I'm not even sure what I would need to do to get accepted to a major college (I'll be researching this).

My options are pretty wide open. Im currently unemployed, but I can always answer phones or wait tables in a pinch (and its getting close to a pinch!). I am tied to an apartment lease in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for another 6 months, but after that...who knows?

Anyway, any suggestions, ideas, feedback either posted or emailed are greatly appreciated!

-Joe

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

make like i did....go to Bethel...have no reportable income for a few years..

than apply for student aid....you get just about anything...

• joelbear
    joelbear

Take it one step at a time. Start at a community college and get the hang of it. Apply for all kind of financial aid, there are people at the college that will spend time with you figuring out which one you may qualify for.

Don't put it off, GO GO GO.

I'm 44 and back in school. There are people in their 50s and 60s in my classes. The more you learn, the more you will want to learn.

Take care

Joel

• Carmel
    Carmel

Man Joe,

Just write to TU and explain your situation and petition them to re-offer you the scholarship. That, along with the automatic Federal free monies, you've virtually a free ride. Whether or not it gives your life direction, you'll be really "living" with everything paid for four years and the likelihood of doing well being funded for a masters or beyond. Remember, you've nothing to lose by asking, but do more than ask, "request". That kind of acertiveness will get you miles further than a meek inquiry.

Best of luck what ever you do.

carmel

• roybatty
    roybatty

Just a sugestion but almost all schools have individuals who can help you weigh the pros & cons. Make an appointment to meet with one. You're also likely to find out if credits are transferable. It would really suck if you went to local college for a year or two, only to find out that the school with the 4-year program won't accept your class credits.

Regarding paying for tuition, I worked during the school year which paid for my books and stuff and took out loans for tuition. Took a long time to pay back the loans but it was well worth it.

Good luck!

• Valis
    Valis

Dude, why don't you try community college first...take a few classes at first and see how you like it. I teach at El Centro in downtown Dallas and will be glad to help you with counseling and financial aid. You can take a 3 hour class for less than $100. I can also help you get a couple textebooks if I have to.You need to get your financial aid stuff together ASAP, before you do ANYTHING. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

here's the link to our local Community College district

http://www.dcccd.edu

here's a link to a great place to get started on financial aid and to find scholarships of all kinds

http://www.fastweb.com

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Adjunct Faculty" class

• Black Man
    Black Man

Hey Joe,

DO THE COLLEGE THING, MAN. When I left Bethel I had various skills and aptitude but no degree left me behind in a lot of ways that only now am I catching up to. Musto is right about all those years of non-reportable income. You should be able to get aid. Flood the market with scholarship applications and student loan apps. Be prepared to be focused for about 3-4 years to start and finish the college thing. Don't way another few years. You're still fairly young and unattached. The dynamics completely change when your family circumstances change.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

GO! GO! GO! GO!

never look back........you are still young

to fullfill any dreams you may have.

That is one of my deepest regrets... I cant go now....... 3 kids in school... and they are going to college ... even if it kills me.

darn JW 's

• larc
    larc

Check with Social Services. When my daughter was down and out, they gave her food stamps, some money for rent and paid her tuition, plus she was allowed to earn some money working part-time. She graduated and now has her own business.

• Larry
    Larry

You already know the answer to that question :) I'm about to start college in September and I'm 38 - I can't wait :) Like you, it's not about the money or career, but it's another thing I've always wanted to do in life. Shoot for the stars :)

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit