My field service group leader wants to meet me

by Powermetal4ever 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Unless you are interested in an informal dose of guilt, fear and obligation, then I wouldn't go.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Practice a few stock phrases that you can use as appropriate.

Oh wow, I wish I could, but thanks for the invite anyway....(don't elaborate). Smile!

It's just not a good time for me right now, but thanks for the invite. Produce a (very slightly) apologetic smile.

I wish I could, but I have another commitment (must see TV) but I will get back with about a better time, apologetic smile.

The main thing to remember is you owe these people nothing,. They don't give a rat's a$$ about you, they are just being guilted into going after the missing, so don't feel guilty yourself and you will break the vicious cycle in play here. The minute they break you down into an explanation they own you, because then they can judge if your explanation is worthy. Don't give them that power.

I am an introvert, it took me thirty years to learn to do this, until then people freely took advantage of me, so learn from my mistake, it will be very useful later in life.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

The minute they break you down into an explanation they own you, because then they can judge if your explanation is worthy. Don't give them that power.

These words by LisaRose are so true. I wish I had learned that before I did what I did. It would have saved me a lot of frustration, pain and bitterness. You are so wise to their ways Lisa.

• sir82
    sir82

My guess:

Based on the recent Watchtower study articles, he thinks you are a "learner".

He wants to invite you to see why you are a "20-something" who is "disengaged" and is not "reaching out" for "privileges of service".

If you want to play with his mind, pull out the recent Watchtower article and ask him if he thinks you are "disengaged" like the article mentions. Ask him if he sincerely wants to know you better, or if he is doing all of this out of a sense of obligation planted in his mind from the WT article.

Or, even better: Just ignore him, tell him you are busy, sorry, can't go. etc. After a week or 2 he will have some other obligation thrust into his mind from some other WT or KM article and will forget all about you.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    If you go and you have a few beers make sure you don't start opening up about your feelings too much.
  • Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever

Update on the matter

He must have forgotten to call me or something. So nothing happened,and I am very happy about that.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Typical, they're all talk no follow up.

Good news for you though.

• steve2
    steve2

Why go to the trouble of saying, "No thank you"? It would be far too hard for you. You'd feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. Coming face to face with uncomfortable emotions is the last thing you want to do.

Instead, go to the barbecue. Be stuck for words. Nod when he says, "Let's meet for field service next weekend!" Go out in field service with him next weekend.

Repeat over and over: "This is my life. I don't ever need to say 'No'. This is where I belong."

When you look back on your life in several decades time, be grateful that you never learnt to say "No."

You will have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

La-la land is like that. Best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit