Baptism - The Issue of Consent - for children

by Lady Lee 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Lady Lee,

This is an excellent thread. I think of it along with those "pre-nup" agreements that some married people, as adults, are literally "forced" into signing. The word coerce comes to mind.

Wouldn't this also apply to a young person, who is prodded and pushed into a act so that they will "survive" the world's end at Armegeddon?

When I was thirteen, there was an all out effort by the Congregation Overseer, who was studying with us at the time, to get me baptised. I was told that because I "knew right from wrong", that I was at the "age of understanding", and so I must be baptised in order to be saved during the tribulation.

This great fear of a horrible death loomed over me and was the main reason why I was baptised the following year, at fourteen. I didn't realize then that this great "truth" changed back and forth, and that people were cut off from family and friends, and that my questions would be considered apostacy.

There is just no way we can make a good decision about something, unless we have all the facts. JW's don't give all the facts. They keep so much hidden. Then you are trapped and cannot leave without having to pay a terrible price.

I remember how I felt when I was baptised--protected and secure. It lasted only for a short while, until the society released new "light". It was explained that even though we were baptised, we still might die a horrible death. This shocked me and hurt me and the explanation was that Jah's avenging angels would be so busy at Armegeddon, that accidents would occur--but not to worry--we would be resurrected.

That was just the beginning of how "the truth" changed, and I was expected to accept it and move on. If children are not allowed to be considered adults in this world until they are 18-21, why are such very young people getting baptised? It isn't a good thing.

How many of us at 18-21 made mistakes that we wish we could undo? All of us. Even at 30-40, we are still growing, still being shaped and molded. I would say that most of us really don't find ourselves until we reach our 50's or later. We are all emotionally scarred from our own early cognition, and it usually takes us a lifetime to figure out "who we are". How can we possibly be making life and death decisions regarding an obligation to a certain religious belief system until we have lived enough of life to have some foundation of experience and knowledge.

The WTBTS is wrong to allow such life altering commitments to be made through baptism, when the person is very young. And, if we do get baptised, even as a young adult, or an older adult, and we then come to realize ourselves that it is not what we thought, or our beliefs change, we should not be punnished when deciding to "leave".

Love and LIght,

Sentinel

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

excellent points Sentinel

• Bang
    Bang

I wanted to reiterate to the ex-jws that it is wrong that the wtbts bind young people with their baptism, but it is their baptism.

As for the Lord's baptism, there is no bad thing to fear from it at all. On the contrary, take your babies - only good can come from it.

bang

• garybuss
    garybuss

The problem with it all still can be reduced to the snubbing/shunning requirement. If there was no shunning, we all would not be writing here about baptism. The baptism is just a part of the shunning practice. The shunning practice is the whip used to control the slaves.

The only enforcement a high control group has is the compliance of it's members and their willingness to shun and snub those they can hurt by doing it.

gb

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gary and yes that is the bottom line - the DFing and shunning that comes from not following every unwritten letter of this contract a child makes with an organization

• Pwned
    Pwned

i got baptised when i was 12 or 13 pretty much just to fit in, "all the kids were doing it", in fact they had to make an announcement to refrain from cheering and making the arsenio hall woop, woop cheer during baptisms cause the majority of people getting baptised were kids and they all had their friends cheering them like they had just scored a touchdown in the super bowl. i never got dfd/da'd that i know of but because of my actions i was pretty much da'd, my family shunned me at first but i told my elder father that i didnt believe that my baptism 'counted' because i was just doing it to fit in and didnt really know what i was getting into and that in fact in the moment of actual baptism when you are presumed to have dedicated your life to god er the wtbts, i didnt do it. well i guess he agreed cause he has been cool with me ever since, i also told him that i didnt think that jesus would treat anyone in his family like that and i think that got to him too.

(sorry to resurrect such an old thread but well whatever)

• Golf
    Golf

Greetings Lady Lee, so your computer problems are solved? How about that foot of yours?

As to children being baptized, my 'only' question is, what age was Jesus baptized?

Side note:

Here's a beauty, young servicemen can kill at 18 but can't 'legally' drink or buy beer until 21 in the U.S.

Golf

• sawakist
    sawakist

That's easy. Just wear swimsuits and go into pool.But it was little ashamed for me.

In my case decision was made by my parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit