WT Speaks Out On Apostasy

by stevieb1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• NewWay
    NewWay

"In the first century, such individuals as Hymanaeus, Alexander, and Philetus, were advocating ideas that did not fit "the pattern of healthful words. (1 Timothy 1:18-20; 2 Timothy 2:16,17)"

What was the "pattern of healthful words"? That which was what Jesus himself had spoken and what the Christ-appointed Apostles spoke by means of God's Spirit. Since the WTS cannot prove that they have been directly appointed by Christ (which the Apostles were by means of "various miracles" - see Hebrews 2:1-4) then this scripture cannot be used to give some sort of authority to what is said in their publications. "Those walking in accord with the example they had in Paul and other faithful ones were able to recognize and reject anything that did not conform to the pattern of truth they had been taught. (Philippians 3:17; Hebrews 5:14)"
    What was the "pattern of truth" they had been taught? That which was what Jesus himself had taught and what the Apostles under inspiration had taught. Since the WTS don't (to my knowledge) even claim to be inspired by God then this scripture cannot be used to give some sort of authority to what is said in their publications.

"Instead of being "mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words," they continued moving ahead in their positive course of godly devotion. (1 Timothy 6:3-6) We do the same thing when we keep on putting into practice the truths we have learned..................." This attaches a label to those who disagree with the society, and not a pretty one as it asserts that those who so disagree are not of sound mind, and therefore cannot be taken seriously. It amounts to 'dirty fighting' (i.e. no sense of fairness), is designed to make people reel back in horror, is the type of "he has a demon" verbal attack which the Pharisees used. The Greek word rendered "mentally diseased" in the NWT is "noseo" and means "to be sick, i.e. (by impl. of a diseased appetite) to hanker after (fig. to harp on)" (Strong's Greek definition 3552). I don't believe that honestly questioning the society's beliefs and practises constitutes one being "mentally diseased". Let's actually look at this scripture in context. Verses 1-2 deal with the matter of Christians who are 'slaves' in the secular sense, and exhorts them to give due honour to their 'masters'. If their 'masters' are also Christians then they should not use this as an excuse not to show proper respect. At the end of verse 2, Timothy is told to "teach these things". In verse 3, Paul then says that if anyone teaches "different doctrine" (i.e. other than what he has just taught), and does not agree with the "healthy words of our Lord Jesus Christ", then that one could be considered "mentally diseased". Trying to extend the application of those inspired words included in the Bible to the uninspired words found in the society's publications is certainly going "beyond the things that are written" (1 Corinthians 4:6 - NWT), something which Governing Body member Ted Jaracz said "we" don't do. "Satan tries to break our integrity through the sowing of doubts about what we have been taught. Today, as in the first century, apostates and others seek to destroy the faith of guileless ones. (Galatians 2:4; 5:7, 8) Sometimes they have used the media to spread distorted information or even outright lies about the methods and motives of Jehovah's Witnesses................"
    The words of Galatians 2:4 and 5:7, 8 are transfered almost effortlessly from the first century to the present day. The implication is made that "what we have been taught" via the uninspired WTS publications) is on an equal footing with what the Galatians had been taught via the inspired teaching of Jesus Christ and his apostles. By using the emotionally charged word 'apostate' (like 'mentally diseased') in connection with the 'media' and the spread of "distorted information or even outright lies", the psychological image is re-inforced that anyone who speaks unfavourably about the beliefs and/or practises of the society or JWs is on the same level as a deserter of scriptural Christian teaching, and whatever s/he says one can take with a pinch of salt. "...............Whatever stumbling blocks were involved, some evidently preferred falsehoods over the truths of God's Word. Soon they stopped practicing the things they had learned, and this was to their own spiritual detriment. - 2 Peter 3:15, 16"
    The expression "the truths of God's Word" carries the implicit meaning "what we have been taught by the society". There are two levels at which the mind is reached. On the surface is the appealing counsel to not foresake the inspired Bible and the truths found there, which of course is what a Christian would be pleased to listen to. Below the surface is the command to avoid those who would question the "truths" as proclaimed by the WTS via its uninspired publications.

"We can avoid turning aside to false stories today if we scutinize and are selective about what we listen to and what we read........"And modern-day apostates keep on trying to sow seeds of doubt in order to subvert the faith of Christians..........So we need to be careful."

The assumption is that anyone who questions the beliefs and/or practises of society or JWs is an 'apostate' and one whose motivation is to damage the faith of "Christians". Labelling is used again as intellectual intimidation and again two messages are sent. On the surface level, JWs are given the appealing counsel that the faith of Christians is at stake. However, below the surface is the implicit understanding that whenever the word "Christians" are used this applies only to those with the label JW, hence anyone who speaks out against JWs (which is often in real terms the society) is deemed to be damaging the faith of the followers of Jesus Christ. The expression "So we need to be careful" logically translated means: "So don't listen to anyone who has a 'bad' word to say about the society (and avoid the Internet like the plague!)".

"..............If our ears are inclined towards disgruntled ones, we need to analyze ourselves prayerfully. (Psalm 139:23, 24) Are we inclined to find fault with Jehovah's people? If so, why?........"

Psalm 139:23 & 24 speak about God examining David and his heart, for God to know his concerns, to make sure he is not on his way to ruin, and to guide him on the road of eternity (paraphrased from the New Jerusalem Bible). Extremely good advice that can be applied to concerns about the WTS - yes there is also another side to the coin! An assumption is made that JWs are "Jehovah's people" which is both an emotive appeal to loyalty, but also a veiled threat that God will not take kindly to any who find fault with those he favours (translated as JWs and the WTS). However, we would do well to consider that example of those in Ezekiel's day who were 'sighing and crying' over the detestable things that were going on amongst the Israelites. Of particular interest is that being recognised as one who was not happy with the current situation among "Jehovah's people" was a requirement for being marked for survival.

"Rather than being critical, let us maintain a spiritually healthy view of the information received through personal study and congregation meetings. (1 Corinthians 2:14, 15) And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first-century Beroeans who examined the Scriptures closely! (Acts 17:10,11) Then, let us act on what we learn, turning down false stories and clinging to the truth."

Of note here is verse 15 of 1 Corinthians, where it shows that a "spiritual person" is able to "discern all things". Such a person is also a spiritual "adult", who according to Hebrews 5:14 (NWT) is able, through the use of their "perceptive powers", to distinguish between right and wrong. So a spiritual person is expected to act according to what s/he perceives as wrong, which is obviously a "spiritually healthy view" as it is concordant with the inspired Scriptures. Being loyal to what is good requires at times that we speak out against what is bad. This is obviously not questioning God's Word. Indeed the Beroeans are a fine example of Christians who did not take Paul's words at face value, but made sure that what he said was in harmony with the then established inspired writings. What we learn from the inspired words of the Bible can help us turn down false stories that come from uninspired sources and help us to cling to what is really the truth.
  • SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

They say

instead of questioning God's Word

And then

have the attitude of the first-century Beroeans who examined the Scriptures closely
    Would not "examining closely" involve some questioning? Typical WT reasoning.

There was a post here not so long ago from a WT article about the Beroeans... Something to the effect that "examining closely" meant reading the scriptures from a perspective of *trying* to prove to themselves the things the Christians were preaching to them. A "hopeful perspective," or some such junk, wanting to believe that it was so. In other words, examine the scriptures closely with our interpretation in mind, in order to prove our interpretation, if you want to be a modern-day Beroean. No questioning involved.

Like you said, typical WT reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - spidermonkey on 4 August 2002 21:33:17

• JT
    JT

NEWWAY

is getting deep on us

great post

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

How could the early Christians avoid being led astray by apostates? By carefully studying the inspired writings and applying them in life.

Shouldn't they have said "the Watchtower" instead of the "inspired writings"? If they studied the Bible, they'd see what a mess they were involved in.

faithful ones were able to recognize and reject anything that did not conform to the pattern of truth they had been taught

Na! They could just call it New Light if it fit into what they wanted to believe.

some evidently preferred falsehoods over the truths of God's Word

So they joined the Jehovah's Witnesses.

So we need to be careful

Yes they do....be careful of big brother up in Brooklyn.

And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first-century Beroeans who examined the Scriptures closely!

Now, if I was still in the borg...I would never have noticed this contradiction. Light is wonderful.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Ha, ya just gotta LOVE all that word twisting...they've turned 'Be Like the Beroeans' into...

'Don't Be Like the Beroeans'....pathetic.

• ashling
    ashling

I haven't the energy, or the interest, to debate the WTS's manipulation of Scripture. Seems the wide world is far too compelling to allow WT drivel to occupy my gray matter on a permanent basis.

But with regards to their treatment of WTS victims, I have this to say: KARMA WILL WIN OUT! The vermin will get theirs one day. With any luck, it'll be soon.

Another thing: I pass by the local KH on the way to work every morning just after 7:00am. Whenever there's a car in the lot, I can't help but wonder what reply those people have been instructed to give should a householder inquire as to the WTS's current 'pedophile difficulties'. More to the point, how can anyone with an ounce of sense or compassion 'work' for an organization that supports and shelters the sexually violent. At every door they probably pray to Jah that no one's home....

• NewWay
    NewWay

JT: Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't have spent so much time getting 'deep' on these quotes were it not for the fact that such an expose might be of use to some members or even 'lurkers' here. At times the psychological manipulation of the WTS gets to me!

Kind regards.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

And instead of questioning God's Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first-century Beroeans who examined the Scriptures closely! (Acts 17:10,11) Then, let us act on what we learn, turning down false stories and clinging to the truth.

Sickening.

Of course, in reading the above, questioning the Society = "questioning God's Word".

Such pathetic losers! I CANNOT WAIT until the march on the Tower, Sept 27!!! I'll be there, on my bike, with banners!!! (I'm open to ideas on those, by the way).

-- Mike

Edited by - Michael3000 on 5 August 2002 11:54:50

• TR
    TR

Sometimes they have used the media to spread distorted information or even outright lies about the methods and motives of Jehovah's Witnesses................"

They don't print anything to back the statement up, because there is nothing they can print. You think they would if they could, but there's nothing. The WTS won't go there because whatever they print would be shot down immediately with FACTS. They have enough problems as it is with the crap they print being shot down with FACTS.

Typical WTS bluster and bullshit.

TR

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks Stevie: I appreciate you for posting this latest round of Watctower material. It shows once again they they are in a battle of image rather than concern for the victims of molesdtation in their midst. Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit