Do JW's count BBs and Chat Rooms as Service Time?

by alliwannadoislive 13 Replies latest jw friends

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

Out of interest, i've just posted the following at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/flame1/messages which is frequented by a number of active JWs.

General Discussion - Do Jehovah's Witnesses count time here ? Previous | Next
    To: ALL (1 of 1)
    It's a genuine question - do Jehovah's Witnesses count the time they spend posting on bulletin boards or in chat rooms as service time ? I guess it completely fits in with the definition of witnessing to non-baptised individuals about Jehovah's Kingdom.

For the uninitiated - this would be time counted as having been in field service and therefore go towards being counted as 'time spent preaching' for the service year.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Were I still a JW, and there were non-baptized individuals or inactive JWs on a BB, I would definitely count every second, from the moment I logged on until I cleared the last cookie.

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

yes amazing ... and were you one of the naughties who gave a fictional account on your service report ? i can go check ....

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Yes we count time..like I am doing now.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I used to count time when "witnessing" over the computer. Although when I did it it was pre internet. I had a Prodigy account and used to enjoy some of the discussions. It was the only time I enjoyed my fs time.

Actually, the discussions forced me to attempt to validate what I believe....which was the beginning of the end of my faith.

• jack2
    jack2

Well, there's a couple different ways of looking at it - the Net is a medium of communication, just like the phone or letter writing, or speaking in person. So even from the jw point of view - though the WTS has not really encouraged it and in fact would discourage it - why could it not be done? While the WTS would likely warn that using the Net might increase the likelihood of communicating with apostates, the simple fact is, when you phone someone or write a letter to them, or even call at their door, you have no idea what backround that person has. And while it is true that a person could easily disguise his/her true intentions on the Net, the same could be done through those other avenues too.

I would suppose that there are jw's who do indeed count time in this manner. Perhaps they have limited physical health and cannot engage in the door-door ministry. And the fact is, many people, jws included, are not really sold on the idea of making phone calls to people they don't know. They may feel that witnessing via the computer allows them to feel more at ease while still communcating with fellow humans, which is what the preaching work is supposed to be all about anyway.

• Tish
    Tish

Why didn't anyone tell me when I was a witness? I would have been to pioneer and everything, all without getting wet from the good old British weather!

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Wish I'd had the Internet back then...would've left Dubland much sooner!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hey, six of us pioneers counted every minute of the time we spent driving mindlessly back and forth in rural territory for back-calls and not-at-homes. "Oops, I just noticed that I had an rv next door to that house we were just at 30 miles away on the other side of town, guess we should go back, eh?"

Average literature sales/day: $1.00

Average gasoline/day: $10.00

Internet preaching is SO much more efficient, and EASIER too. Don't even have to get out of the car!

Do miss the vicious gossip, though. Eviscerated so many brothers and sisters while in car-groups that even Arnold Schwarzenegger would be proud.

LOL (with regrets),

Craig

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The smart dubs count everything.Incidentill wittnessing is still a time collecter for alot of dubs.See someone at the gas station you don`t know,mention something dublike. Bingo,you got time.Go to the liquor store,tell the cashier aging is an unatural process bla-bla bla,Bingo you got time.Go to a non dub funneral tell the non dubs,their departed is not in heaven but rotting in the ground,Bingo you got time.I`ve seen some pretty outragous things people do to get their time in...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit