Before you open that door....

by Bona Dea 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's great stuff Bona Dea, but if you have any hope of getting it read, break it into small, one topic-at-a-time pieces. It is interesting to people, but it isn't that interesting to people, know what I mean? One shocking tidbit at a time, please.

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

WOW!

Excellent work!

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Your idea is great!

Perhaps the first half of your points could fit in one page with average font size and single spacing.

A lot of people will be inclined to read it if it was like a one page flyer.

Of course at the bottom of the page, you could list the various web-sites for those who

want more information on the chronology and failed predictions, as well as SilentLambs.org

WatchtowerInformationService.org and Freeminds.org.

Quoting the Watchtower is an excellent way to help people see what they wouldn't be told right

away, especially the part of how the WTS looks down upon higher education and independent

thinking.

When you do get a final draft finished,

do you mind if I make copies?

Thanks, YoursChelbie

Edited by - YoursChelbie on 18 July 2002 11:52:58

• Bleep
    Bleep

Bleepy weepy here again... It is so easy to point the finger at the locusts (jws)? Try to elaberate more on that Bang. Maybe you can help prove my point of being a witness to all the badness in the world.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Higher Education

According to Jacques Santer, president of the European Commission, 20 percent of young people in the European Union are unemployed. Hence, for that age group, much depends upon one question, How do I get a job that will make my life secure? Many believe that this goal can be best achieved through higher education, which, as The Sunday Times of London comments, gives students "a significant advantage in the jobs market."

In Germany, for instance, "the desire for education and academic status is as great as ever," reports the Nassauische Neue Presse. This despite the fact that living as a student for the duration of a university course in that country costs, on the average, about $55,000.

Young people who take education seriously and who desire job security are to be commended. And someone with skills and qualifications often has the edge when seeking employment. But does higher education always offer job security? One student said: "I knew from the very beginning that my course of study would not lead to a clearly defined professional activity and would not offer security." Her case is not unusual. In one recent year, the number of unemployed university graduates in Germany reached an all-time high.

In France, according to one newspaper, young people attend universities because a high school diploma is of little value in the face of high youth unemployment. However, many university students accept that at the end of their studies, they "will be no better off with a degree in their pocket." The Independent reports that in Britain "the stresses of academic life are taking a terrible toll on students." It is reported that far from helping students to cope with the insecurity of life, university life at times leads to such problems as depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.

Often, learning a trade or getting practical training in some field of production enables one to obtain secure employment more readily than does having a university degree.

Are

• larc
    larc

Bleep, It is all a matter odds. The odds of making more money and/or having a satisfying career are better with a college education. On average the lifetime income of a college graduate is much higher than a high school graduate. Furthermore, a college graduate generally has more options throughout their life. Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, there are some people who have been very successful without a college education, and I can name a few: the Wright brothers, Thomas Edison, Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's), and William Anderson (former pres. of NCR corp.) Nontheless, most people are better of with a college degree.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Bona

I wish that I had had your post before I opened the door in 1963. For my wife, who was suffering from Post Partum Depression at the time, the JWs were like a life buoy thrown to a drowning person. How wonderful not to have to think for yourself anymore! She wanted it all to be true. If I had had your post, I would never have let them in the door. We managed to keep our marriage together, but it was an extremely painful process for both of us. The children (6) all became JWs and all except one married JWs. Of the five who married JWs, four are divorced. All are out of the JWs now except one. He would be out, but doesn't want to go through the divorce which would certainly result if he left. My wife is a full time Pioneer and believes she is one of the 144,000. Managing family relations with the 5 who are out remains an interesting challenge since all of our children still live in the city. If you fail to become a JW, your husband will be advised to divorce you since you would be an obstruction to his "spiritual growth".Good luck!

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Bleep.....It seems you take a familiar response to information like Bona provided. Just because a person calls to account JW beliefs doesn't mean they have shut their eyes to the problems/ challenges of living in this world. Yet one usually gets that from Witnesses. When I continued to seek and receive 'outside' help for a problem, I was told, by an elder, ' You can't expect to have a lah-lah life in this system '. Lah-lah life? I just wanted a bit of REPREIVE from a miserable condition. All and all, I too am familiar with the encompassing dynamic of fear. It will close our mind, heart, and soul, and will leave us intolerant of anybody or anything that might rock us out of denial...respectively, SloBoy

• Bleep
    Bleep

SloBoy says, and I am sorry I am turning into quote person like most people here,"I just wanted a bit of REPREIVE from a miserable condition". That condition will pass away in the new system of things with all greed. It is ok to seek a good education. But you should know that the degree that you may be after is being given only after you spend 30 to 50 thousand dollars. Alot of money just to teach someone a skill. The college sure is greedy and a profitable business.

• SYN
    SYN
    It is ok to seek a good education.

Well, your Society doesn't think so. In fact, your Society considers it a much better move to pursue a career in Pioneering or Bethel, both of which are options which will leave you squarely without money in your twilight years. What a LOVING Organization it is, too!

[SYN], of the Quote Person Class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit