Why Jehovah Does Not Want An Effective Preaching Work

by konceptual99 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    My guess is, the preaching work is over.
  • pixel
    pixel

Clearly, we should not expect world conditions to become so bad before “the great tribulation” that people would be forced to believe that the end is near.

Wow! this is a 360-degree change of mind from":

"… U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson said in 1960: "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in 15 years from today [or, by 1975], this world is going to be too dangerous to live in."-Awake! 1968 Oct 8

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    they will move the goal posts in which world conditions will suit their pathetic attempt to justify they have it right about the "end". A few years back you can read the usual drivel about the world being a cesspit and mankind would come close to destroying the planet, simple fact is that the Earth's population have never had it so good, advances in medicine and science see people living far longer and healthier lives.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Clearly, we should not expect world conditions to become so bad before “the great tribulation” that people would be forced to believe that the end is near.
    Wow! this is a 360-degree change of mind from":
    "… U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson said in 1960: "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in 15 years from today [or, by 1975], this world is going to be too dangerous to live in."-Awake! 1968 Oct 8

Yes Pixel, it's a remarkable change of stance made even more bizarre by the fact the current doctrine is that people will only realise their fate and become "faint out of fear" once the GT has started and Jehovah is about to execute his purge of humanity.

I have had numerous conversations with friends and relatives about the preaching work, who will survive, who will be destroyed etc. In a couple of cases I have gone so far as to say it's a waste of time. The problem is that the mental blindness simply prevents those still in to see the ridiculous nature of the whole situation.

Even if you ignore everything the WT actually says about the need to essentially be a Witness (in fact it's now pretty much accepting not just Jesus but the GB) to have some assurance of getting through and go down the "we don't know, God is final judge, he will show love and justice...blah...blah....blah" route you simply then are faced with the situation that it is better for people not to get called on.

The whole thing is completely illogical and I am ashamed I bought into it for so long.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

But wait, God's plan falls apart even more when you consider what many JWs claim. At Armageddon, the idea is that "then they will know that I am Jehovah!". WTF? Ok. Imagine you are just an average person and fire starts raining from the sky, the earth splits open, lightning, thunder, etc. - i.e. another Michael Bay movie.

Between the time that you see it and the time that every atom of your being is separated from every other atom of your being, is your last thought going to be "Darn. I should have listened to those people that came to my door. I guess they were right after all. Oh, well. Well played, God. My bad...". Or, is it going to be "Holy Crap! WWIII is starting! Who did we piss off?" or "Asteroids!" or "Terrorists!" or something more in the forefront of the average mind?

Wait, it gets better as I have had JWs say that "Jehovah" would make it clear that it is him causing the destruction so there is no confusion. Wow! Ok. Maybe God should make himself clearly known before Armageddon and stop playing an eternal game of hide-and-seek. Maybe more people would believe.

If the goal is to save as many people as possible, I think a brain-dead ferret could come up with a better plan.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The goal isn't actually to "save as many as possible".

It's to publicly demonstrate what "side" they're on; to be "on record" as having "done your part".

x

Fundaglicals who oppose gay marriage are doing it for the same reason; they want the End Times to come (and as far as they're concerned, gay marriage will definitely help usher that in, because how could it not???), but they want to be "on record" as having opposed the things that supposedly will bring about the Apocalypse, so they can't be accused of "aiding and abetting".

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I just want to bring this post BTTT, because it is in my opinion one of the best this year.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    On a forum filled with some truly wonderful threads with posts from members with far more significant credentials as exposers of WT junk than myself, your comment is very humbly received CL.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

A lot of war = The end

No wars = The end

This is just wishful thinking on their part. They can see their is no urgency to the preaching work on the part of the rank and file, and that is costing them money because no placements, no donations. They are trying to do anything they can to motivate people but they are like the boy who cried wolf, people have heard ot all before, it gets harder and harder to get people scared.

And I dont buy it that people will go flocking into the religion if conditions are bad enough. Most people dont know what they teach anyway.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

This is simply brilliant, thanks!

On a side note, am I wrong in recalling that the message about the Great Tribulation used to be far more harrowing? I seem to remember a distinct message of doom and gloom back in the 70's and 80's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit