Left Behind

by gravedancer 65 Replies latest jw friends

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Xander,

You make a good point *biting his tongue :)

The only ones I know of are those mentioned in the bible. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul..etc....

Those other historians are both liars as that has been 'firmly' established ;)

Did the disciples exist? If Jesus didnt exist...who's to say the disciples did. All of them but John died as martyrs...how convenient for those lying Christians. *bastards

That whole new testament is some elaborate story ;)

Kind of like the wizard of oz...where Dorothy befriends the tin man, scarecrow and lion and they all travel together for 3 years.

What's even more kewl is how within the story...Dorothy tells stories to set examples for her new friends. Of course Dorothy was foretold by other stories...stories that comes from other authors.

This has to be the biggest hoax in history...because it has spanned some 3000-4000 years. What is really kewl about this hoax is that Jews and Muslims have also bought into it. *they both recognize Christ as a prophet who once walked the earth.

If you dont believe that...just ask the guy at this restaurant down my street. He is a muslim named *sounds like i' ee' sah' this is translated to be Jesus. I know this because his friends are always kidding him about it. Just yesterday...Abu asked me if I was still waiting on Jesus...LOL...he said that because he knows I'm a Christian and he was giving Iesa hell because he was making my food slowly.

*sorry about the tangent

I still cant really prove anything...but this is fun Xander <g>

Lizard

• Xander
    Xander
    ...but this is fun Xander

Well, you're from the land of Guinness, so you get a free break for that, but...not TOO much, ya hear?

Those other historians are both liars as that has been 'firmly' established

Well, there are only the two references, one IS from a rather...unreliable...source, and the other was obviously doctored, so...doesn't leave a lot of confidence.

What is really kewl about this hoax is that Jews and Muslims have also bought into it. *they both recognize Christ as a prophet who once walked the earth.

You know, I've often wondered if the Jews bought into Jesus as a 'prophet' BEFORE or AFTER they needed Western support. From all the readings I've done, it really doesn't look like this is a teaching they've had for very long.

As to the Muslims? I thought they believed pretty much EVERYONE who claimed to be a prophet was? (In the days of old, that is)

This has to be the biggest hoax in history

Well, it's not hard if you think about it. I mean, look at what the early church DID to members who opposed their teachings. Is it any wonder it has spread so far?

foretold by other stories...stories that comes from other authors

Of course, only christians are willing to accept that these foretold events have occurred already - no other religion does (even of those who do accept Jesus as a 'prophet' - none accept him as the 'messiah' except christianity).

And, I tell you what, *I'm* sure glad the son of god and the messiah came to earth already, cause boy, oh, boy, is the world a better place now than it was before he came.

Ah, well, I'm enjoying me stout, and it's late, perhaps we'll pick up tomorrow (unless these bastards we've hijacked the thread from come and try and take it back again!)

• Derrick
    Derrick

So I can be clear, are stated that the end of the world is not scriptural,

The first question is loaded in that we must clarify the meaning of "the end of the world" which has so many connotations for each religion. The end of this system of things is taught by Jehovah's Witnesses. Why they don't just refer to "this system" without the qualifier has always stumped me. This system of things is really meant by JWs to describe -- and correct me if I'm mistaken -- the present system of government and its materialistic infrastructure and therefore, the world "things" qualifies "this system" as connecting and intermingling politics and laws to taxpayer funded infrastructure in all forms. Thus "this system of things" is the driving force of this present world's influence on those practicing Christianity, because it requires citizens to adhere to government laws and requirements in order to legally have free use of the nation's physical infrastructure and resources. This creates a system that subtly influences and tempts Christians to veer away from pure Christian ideology, tenets and ethics. In little ways, Christians are asked to subtly compromise their beliefs in order to satisfy the requirements of being a good citizen of the State. Perfectly ethical conduct that is approved by God is intermingled with nationalistic requirements, especially in times of war, in order for Christians to keep from breaking "Caesar's laws" and it is increasingly difficult to fully serve God and "Caesar" (the government and its authorized institutions). Of course the Christian cannot serve two masters the Bible tells us, but in seeking to serve God we are instructed in the book of Romans to obey the authorities. However, other parts of the Bible clearly warn that our obedience to the authorities is not without question, and that we cannot obey the government if it tells us to violate God's laws.

The end of this planet either as a whole or the wiping out of its surface area through fire, nuclear conflagration, massive volcanic activity or atmospheric disturbances is "the end of the world" for many born again Christians and others in the evangelical Christian movements. However, the Bible on several occasions states that the Earth will last forever. This is not a sarcastic statement with a hidden meaning such as the actual mass of this planet will last forever while the entire surface area is destroyed. However, the book of Revelation seems to contradict other areas of the Bible in the implication of Earth's destruction, and a full study of the Bible as a whole is required to understand the context and symbolism specific to Revelation.

or that LaHaye's (the Dispensational view) is not biblical?

The "left behind" concept is based on scriptures that are, IMO, wrenched out of context. The movies raise more problems and contradictions than they solve. One born again Christian, some time ago, explained to me that God (who they claim is Christ himself) will rapture faithful Christians into Heaven, test those who aren't faithful enough by leaving them behind to get one last chance to prove their faithfulness to God, take those left behind through a grueling process of tribulation and worldwide destruction, create a literal new Earth (new surface area or new planet down to the core was not specified), then materialize the raptured Christians in Heaven back to Earth's surface to restore the planet to paradise over 1,000 years. Then after the 1,000 years, Earth would permanently get wiped out (I presume down to the core, so nothing was left, kind of like what happened to Alderon in the first Star Wars), and Christians would return to Heaven. Why the interim 1,000 years? I didn't get a clear answer. Perhaps a born again Christian in the house can explain the whole thing -- tribulation to end of 1,000 year reign of Christ -- for those like myself who just don't get it?

Derrick

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

To get back to what this thread was orginally supposed to be about....

LEFT BEHIND SERIES. I recently read all 10 books back to back. Finished the 10th and newest (The Remnant) which was just released July 1. Enjoyed them very much. It's an interesting fictionalized account based on Revelation with a lot of conjecture. It's best to start with the first book (LEFT BEHIND) and go straight through. Lots of people have this series so if someone wants to read all of them, they can probably borrow them like I did. There will be two more released; one in June 2003 and one in June 2004 which will be the last. For someone not familiar with Revelation, it could cause one to pick up the Bible and look for themselves. Which is good IMHO.

Trot

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Derrick,

The Dispensationalists (LaHaye, Lindsey, etc.) get the 1,000 period from Revelation 20:6...THis is a verse ripped out of context in a highly symbolic book. Personally, to me the 1,000 years here refers to a long time in the new earth & new heavens spoken of by Peter.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Derrick,

If you would like a balanced treatment on the end times please see the following

http://www.faithdefenders.com/sermons/prophecy.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit