SL Protesters Storm Convention!

by silentlambs 24 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Group protests Jehovah's Witnesses

by Jeff St. John

Herald staff writer

Several protesters picketed the Jehovah's Witnesses district convention Friday at the Tri-Cities Coliseum, calling attention to an Othello child rape and molestation case they say taints the church. Protesters with the Silent Lambs organization said the case of odriguez, who was raped as a child by Manuel Beliz, a Jehovah's Witnesses elder in her Othello congregations, points to the church's cover-ups of sexual abuse. "This is in support of odriguez," said protester Richard Rawe, of . "It's to inform parents and children about what they can do when they're attacked."

Jehovah's Witnesses representatives at the Zealous Kingdom Proclaimers convention, which will draw an estimated 5,600 people each wee d for five wee ds in July and August, declined to respond to the protesters' allegations directly. "Ou esponse is to direct the public's attention to the Web page, www.jw-media.org, where the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society have addressed these issues in great detail," said Eddie Rubbs, news representative. Manuel Beliz was sentenced to 11 years in prison last September on child rape and molestation charges involving Rodriguez when she was a child. In January, Rodriguez brought a civil lawsuit against the Othello Jehovah's Witnesses, Beliz and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, the , N.Y.-based umbrella organization of the church, alleging a cover-up of the sexual abuse. Rawe and his wife have been protesting the church since 1977, when they were banned from the church.

• comforter
    comforter

i like bowen's flair for overstatement. Protesters "storm" the convention is a little melodramatic, don't ya think?

Comforter

• Farkel
    Farkel

: i like bowen's flair for overstatement. Protesters "storm" the convention is a little melodramatic, don't ya think?

It's not nearly as bad as speaking about yourself in the third person, dummy.

Farkel

• comforter
    comforter

Fark

I have treied to explain the third person thingy that seems to bother you x's in this place. But you just don't get it. It is really simple. Anybody with a little common sense could figure it out. Oops! Sorry, fark.

Comfort

• Farkel
    Farkel

comforter,

: have treied to explain the third person thingy that seems to bother you x's in this place.

Well, therein lies the problem. If you "tried" you didn't accomplish your objective, did you?

: But you just don't get it.

See my comment above.

: It is really simple.

Then why couldn't you do it?

: Anybody with a little common sense could figure it out.

Anybody with a little common sense wouldn't talk about themselves in the third person.

: Oops! Sorry, fark.

No problem. That's ok. I have space in my life for idiotic rejoinders that fall flat.

Farkel

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Comforter.

Bill Bowen did not make any statements in this article.

This article was written by the Herald staff writer Jeff St John.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

If you knew Richard Rawe you would know that it was a 'storm.' He is a one man tornado in all matters anti WT. According to Richard the protesters had quite an audience. He also told us that at the lunch break any who stopped to listen to the protest were approached by attendants and asked what congregation they were from, their name, etc. Made quite an impact I hear. So maybe they were only a few, but because of their impact they created quite a stir, much like a summer storm (which they also got in Tri-cities last night I hear).

Mrs R

• Farkel
    Farkel

mrs. Rocky,

Richard Rawe is quite the guy, isn't he? I lived in the Pacific Northwest for several years but never got the chance to meet him.

: He also told us that at the lunch break any who stopped to listen to the protest were approached by attendants and asked what congregation they were from, their name, etc.

A minor point-of-order here. I hope you don't mind my slight correction:

He also told us that at the lunch break any who stopped to listen to the protest were approached by attendants Watchtower Gestapo and asked what congregation they were from, their name, etc.

Farkel

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

You better believe Richard Rawe is a 'firestorm'!!! BWahahahah. Do you know if his lovely wife was there? (Frances I think her name is)

I've heard that also, individual JW's who have approached picketer/demonstatror/protester DO get asked who they are.

That is why on OUR signs we have in big letters a CELLPHONE NUMBER that they can call and talk to us. At the very least, you will get calls from various attendants!!!!

At a recent convention, one of the demonstrators told me that attendants had formed a 'blockade' of sorts so that the JW's couldn't see their signs. Watchtower, let me tell you right now, that is ILLEGAL. It is ILLEGAL to interfere in a lawful public demonstration...

and with any luck in teh next few weeks some dipf*ck young attendant will get his first arrest thanks to ME!!!

GO ON--- MAKE MY DAY!!!!

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Farkel, I most humbly accept your correction. Richard was concerned about getting roughed up by the attendants. But he came away unscathed, perhaps a little weary from the heat.

Dungbeetle, yes Frances was there. She was driving the air conditioned get away car.

By the way, did you all know that Richard was wearing a T-shirt that advertised the silentlambs website and phone number. It also had the universal no sign over something like WT abuse (stop WT abuse)...wish I could remember exactly what it said. Anyway, created quite a stir on the convention floor. Caused the convention to start late. He's not called "Richard the Rotweiller" for nothing!

Wish we could have seen it!

Mrs R

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit