Ladies - what's your favourite men's cologne?

by Beck_Melbourne 46 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Beck.

I wont insert my usual sarcastic comment into a thread of such earth shaking importance.

Nice to see you keeping up the incredibly high standard youve set yourself, excelling it even!

..." I like Polo Dakota...don't walk past me in a dark alley or you might get jumped"....

(notes "polo dakota")

(Muahaha)

Edited by - refiners fire on 26 June 2002 4:47:56

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Not speaking as a lady, but as a gay man. I usually wear Paul Sebastian [his signature fragrance]. I used to use Polo, Givenchy Gentlemen, and Aramis. But, I got tired of them. Several years ago a saleswoman at Macy's suggested PS [that's how the bottle looks, a rectangular one with his initials]. So, I tried it. Immediately I started getting compliments from men and women. Not a week goes by when I wear it that someone doesn't ask what it is. OK, maybe it's the reaction with my own personal body chemistry. So often that's the case. But, I do recommend at least getting some samples. PLUS, they have the all time, knock-down, drag-out, best gift promotions of ANY of the men's fragrance manufacturers. But, don't expect to find it any any but "better" department stores. However, I do believe that the discount "Perfumia" carries it.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I'm also fascinated with smells and memories.....this morning as I walked past my 14 yr old son he said to me 'mum, you smell like my primary school'. I looked at him un-impressed LOL...and then he leant over and smelt my neck and says 'yup...you smell like my first year at school'. So i thought about what he said and realised that I recently bought a bottle of an old perfume I used to like....Madam Roche...and he no doubt associated that scent to an 8 yr old memory...so that was kinda nice.

Tera - Oscar is another nice one...but I think Cool Waters is still the nicest I have smelt so far....I only hope that my ex doesn't get some...that's the only thing that would put me off it!

Haven't heard of Davida or Angel finnrot...who makes them?

Refiners - how come you didn't mention your 'love potion no: 9' cologne you wore to my house? Or was it Brute? LOL now that's old! What about Old Spice? eeeeekkkk!!

btw refiners it was Polo, Dakota

Edited by - beck_melbourne on 26 June 2002 4:58:8

• finnrot
    finnrot

Hey Beck, I was at Macys and the counter girl tried a bunch of samples on me, and the one I liked the best was Davida. I had never heard of it before, but a week later I was sitting in a theatre and I saw a commercial for it.

As far as Angel goes, a beautiful girl was visiting a co-worker and she smelled great. So I asked her what prefume she was wearing and she told me it was Angel. I told my daughters about it and they told me their mom wears Angel. I guess opposites do attract.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yeah Beck, that day i forgot to put underarm deodorant on... it was B.O.!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Can you get better than soap and leather?

Personally I think it's easy to overdo a scent - an understatement is far better.

I run with:
    Givenchy - Gentleman (although there's a new Givenchy out that is quite nice)
    Chanel - Antaeus (a little musky)
    Yves Saint Laurent - Jazz (not Live Jazz)

Body chemistry is vital, though, because it can completely change the tones, as I found out with Live Jazz.

For women's perfumes, I like quite a range, and different ones evoke different memories (often of past girlfriends ).
    I quite like Giorgio Armani - Gio, which is fruity

Edited by - LittleToe on 26 June 2002 6:1:24

• Prisca
    Prisca

My ex-fiance wore Live Jazz after I bought it for him - I associate that scent with him now. I don't have any favourites with men's scents, although I definitely prefer men that wear scent.

I wear Maroussia too, also Anais Anais, Cerrutti 1881 (love the smell) and also Allure, by Chanel.

Does anyone else keep their perfumes in the fridge in hot weather?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

See my rival thread!

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Jazz...yum yum

JWinSF....I remember Aramis...except I can't remember who used to wear it...I think maybe my little brother

finnrot....i highly recommend men seek a woman's opinion when buying their own cologne....the sales assistants can usually tell you what is the most popular brand purchased by men for themselves and what is popular purchased by women for men. I'll be keeping my eye out for those labels and will think of you

Prisca....have you tried the green bottle of Maroussia?? It's not as common as the red...but if you see it, try and tell me what you think. I prefer it to the red...its got a really crisp scent to it....so nice. I had some once....and still have the empty bottle LOL...can't get rid of it. I usually put an empty bottle in my undies drawer...does anyone else do that?? Probably not...why did I say that. And no i didn't know you should keep perfume in the fridge on hot days....mind you it gets very hot in Sydney I hear....us Mexicans don't suffer such extreme conditions LOL.

Beck

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Good topic Beck,

Men - my cologne

Pi by Givenchy

Women - my fav to smell... well, in the past (haven't smelt it in a while)

Estee - by Estee Lauder

I used to have a 10th grade English teacher who wore this. (I think I had a crush on her.)

I could smell this fragrance on a woman from 50 paces. It usually had the effect of making me kinda weak in my knees, it was so powerful.

It took me a while to get up the nerve to ask a lady who wore this fragrance, what it was. (I was afraid that she would think I was being too forward.)

When I found out, I went and bought some for my girlfriend. Same effect. Nice.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit