um... help please from any medical types

by lauralisa 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

This is a bit off topic, but I hope someone might give me a little insight on a delicate matter here.

My significant other has applied for life insurance, and of course must have the obligatory "home visit" where they take his blood pressure, blood sample, pee sample, etc.

We are barely making ends meet as it is, and are trying to sign him up a a non-smoker. (He's gonna quit, anytime now. I swear.) But... he does smoke and nicotine does run through his veins. It will cost almost double for him to buy a term-life policy if he's a nicotine-addict, and... well, you know the rest.

Anyway. I have some "clean" urine from a co-worker, and it's in the freezer. I know what temp it has to be, etc; BUT... the guy peed into the bottle in the middle of the day, and it's supposed to be a "first thing in the morning" sample.

1. Can they tell if it's been frozen and unthawed?
    2. Will it completely hose the sample if it's not after "fasting"?
    3. Are we gonna get arrested for insurance fraud?
    4. HELP!!!!!!!

thanks in advance,

lauralisa

• Southland
    Southland

Having worked for an insurance company, I suggest you think very, very carefully before proceeding with your plan.

The whole purpose of having life insurance is to protect your family. If your significant other gets caught committing fraud, not only will you not get your policy issued, but the insurance company will report the fraud using a special code to the clearinghouse that all insurance companies use (called MIB). It will be nearly impossible to ever get life insurance in the future.

I'm pretty certain that they are able to detect the nicotine in the blood sample they will draw from him, and so the "substitute the pee" plan might be all for naught.

I would suggest rather that you get life insurance at the smoker rate (pick a lower policy face amount if needed to save money) and after a certain amount of time passes where he has not smoked (usually one year or more), ask the insurance company to rerate the policy as a non-smoker. If they refuse, then get another policy with another company (waiting of course to have the new policy in hand before canceling the existing one).

* edited to change "husband" to "significant other"

Edited by - Southland on 24 June 2002 21:58:34

Edited by - Southland on 24 June 2002 22:1:38

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

What does one say to this? How does it look for lurkers to come to Simon's board and see members helping another member to commit possible insurance fraud.

<We are barely making ends meet as it is, >

I believe you. I know how it is. Perhaps you could consider skipping the insurance for now?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I wouldn't suggest committing insurance fraud. You might get the policy, but you'd be constantly under stress that something would happen and they would find out. A clear conscience is much less stressful.

Perhaps you could opt for term life insurance until your husband has quit and stayed off cigarettes for awhile. It's generally not too expensive, and the requirements aren't as stringent. Then, when he's kicked the habit, you can switch over to a regular policy.

• Scully
    Scully

I wouldn't recommend doing this. While I can appreciate your financial constraints, when something like this catches up to you, it isn't going to be pretty.

Perhaps if your SO gave up smoking, he'd be able to afford the higher premiums. Oh wait... if he did that, he wouldn't need to pay them....

Win-win situation there. :)

Love, Scully

• Kismet
    Kismet

Just curious as to how exactly do you go about asking a co-worker for their urine sample?

Kis

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Why doesn't he quit smoking for a week and drink Apple Pectin and pop some Golden Seal root? Also, there is a $30 3 hour "de-tox" tea you can take -- you buy it at any local "headshop" (pot supplies like pipes and stuff) and it will rid any chemical substances from his urine.

Moe

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Besides the Fraud issue, I agree maybe you should talk w. your significant other about the real need for life insurance at this time. I remember the years we were paying those premiums when we could barely buy groceries! Not really necessary until you have the $$ for it, or the job w. benefits. Take your time.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

To cease smoking is to "buy" with dividends ($$$ saved from not purchasing tobacco) "assurance," in statistical terms, of his longer life.

Sam

• COMF
    COMF

What does a carton of cigarettes sell for these days? More than the doubling of an insurance premium?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit