Disgusting JW Funeral story

by PopeOfEruke 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I heard of a funeral held for a sister last week in a KH.

Her non-JW daughter-in-law write a poem for her, and wanted to read it at the service in the Kingdom Hall. The D-I-L had studied many years ago but was never baptized.

However, BECAUSE SHE WAS WEARING SLACKS, she was refused to read it from the platform and had to read it from her seat in the audience.

How low can you go? This story upset me so much, I just can't believe how lucky I am to be free of them. This religion is really no better than the Taliban.

Sad Popee

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thank you for your thoughts. It saddens me to hear of these things, yet I am not surprised.

A funeral is a sad event anyway. People need to grieve, to make expression of their love.

But JW's control all. I could not attend my dear paternal grandmother's funeral. The rest of the family thought we were the worse bunch of people on the earth. It certainly does nothing to bring a better understanding to outsiders.

My mother has pre-planned everything. She will be cremated, with no need for anyone to be there, and by that she means "her wayward" daughters. So be it.

Love and Light,

Karen/Sentinel

• myself
    myself

It is very sad. They picked a situation in which they could humiliate another victim. In contrast, I attended a funeral for a njw and they took the time to honor her accomplishments, her love for her family, & friends, and her dedication to her profession (nursing). This funeral in no way idolized this beautiful woman. Anyone who wanted to share stories or memories were free to do so from the platform or from the floor, whichever place made the person more comfortable. I have never attended such a beautiful service. This woman's life was cut short and she deserved such a memorable service.

• blondie
    blondie

At least they didn't make her leave the KH because she had slacks on (sorry Karen, I didn't see your post). Anyway, women are not allowed on the sacred stage unless they are giving a talk, a demonstration, or are vacuuming the carpet.

I decided not to have my funeral at the KH (assuming they will let me). And no canned WTS talk either by some brother who can't remember my name. If any JWs want to attend, they have to check their proselytizing at the door. If anyone wants to say a kind word, I say go for it. People all have their own way to mourn.

• LB
    LB

Yep those memorials aren't for the family, just another chance to give a witness.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

This is the norm at the KH. Sisters NEVER read from the podium (unless filling in for a brother) and do not have any parts on the platform unless properly attired.

I do not understand the indignant "surprise" at this. Women do not serve as priests in the Catholic Church, that is the rule. What Catholic would be surprised at the rule being enforced?

IW

• patio34
    patio34

Karen/Sentinel, I'm so sorry for the salt in the wound the JWs seem to love causing. It sometimes seems they relish "making a stand for the truth," no matter whether it's necessary and if it causes pain. As the WT has pointed out in the past, a people acts like the God they worship.

Pat

• metatron
    metatron

total bs

I personally went to a non denominational funeral conducted by a Catholic

nun. She led the whole thing.

metatron

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Metatron,

Was the Nun serving as a Priest and recognized as such? I think the term "non-denominational" is relevant here.

Women do not serve as Priests in the Catholic Church.

IW

Edited by - IslandWoman on 16 June 2002 20:40:29

• Sabine
    Sabine

Reminds me of a story related by R. Franz in his book, where F. Franz gave a funneral talk for a family member in a kingdom hall. He started by saying, in a very loud voice "Isn't it grand to be alive?!!" His point being, slave as much as you can for Jah now, while you are alive. I thought this was just disgusting. Nothing personal about the deceased was mentioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit