Will I Die?

by professor 16 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

My doctor recently told me that my blood pressure is normal, but at the higher end of normal. I should lower my cholesterol level via diet and exercise. Fine.

Recently I applied for a job that allows me to further my education during the week but will still provide for my family. A plus! Plus it is more of a physical job than the desk jobs I have been holding for the last few years which is another big plus!

I applied for the job and was accepted as long as I can pass a drug test (no problem) and a physical exam. Great!

I show up for the nurse, pee in a cup, and I'm ready to take the physical examination. The exam consists of lifting and stepping up and down on a platform. I help people move all the time so no problem. Right?

So then she takes my blood pressure. After that she looks at me in HORROR and says we cannot continue. If I were to take the physical I "WOULD DIE!" (blood pressure is 153/101). She said I should not even be walking around with such a high blood pressure and I need to see my doctor TODAY and get on heart medication as soon as possible. Then she says "I'm not trying to SCARE YOU!"

Is this serious? Am I going to die any minute? Or is this lady off her rocker? I called my doctor and he was not alarmed as this lady was, but wants to see me next Tuesday. What do you think?

• terafera
    terafera

Ugh, Proffessor, I'm sorry! What an idiot that nurse was. First of all, she should never have used the word 'die'!!

I had high blood pressure when I was little and it was as high as you mentioned. It does sound a bit high, but NO you will not die from it!

As long as your doctor knows, I am sure he will see to it that you get on meds, IF you need them.

Who has more knowledge on the subject...a nurse or doctor? I have kidney problems and once a nurse told me, 'yeah you better get a transplant now or you'll die young.' I almost fainted and told my doctor what she said....she doesnt work there anymore .

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Professor, I wouldn't worry too much. My blood pressure was much higher than that. I went to the doctor and am taking meds for it. I haven't died yet, unless somebody forgot to tell me.

Make sure your cholesterol is checked too. I get mine checked yearly and have also ran tests for different cancers. While my cholesterol is up, but not all the way to dangerous, I have been cleared of cancer each time.

Just see a good doctor and have it taken care of before it gets to a lethal level.

I also have to agree with tera, that nurse was an idiot!

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Thursday I had a physical. My doctor ordered an EKG, an echogram and I had to wear a holter monitor for a day and keep a diary. Why? Because my blood pressure is sky high and my heart beats so hard you can see my shirt move.

However, my nurses didn't say anything about dying. In fact they were all very excited to see me for further exams.

• professor
    professor

Thanks. I dunno. I was kind of stressed because I had a half hour drive to my appointment which turned into 45 minutes because of traffic and I was afraid I might be late. I know stress can raise blood pressure higher than normal. Plus the nurse had a heart condition of her own which she had treated, so it was more personal to her. She was just trying to help, but I swear I felt I was going to have a heart attack on the way home after hearing that I might DIE!

-professor

Edited by - professor on 15 June 2002 4:52:19

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

I don't think you'll die, old buddy. Many things could have caused your blood pressure to go up at that moment (excitement of the new job, anxiety of the physical, etc.). I'm not saying you don't have high blood pressure; you should get a complete cardiac work-up (enzymes, EKG if you haven't already). There are many safe "blood pressure" meds out there that will stabilize your BP if diet and exercise doesn't work. Don't sweat it. Millions of people in this country(even some in their 20's) that take medication for their blood pressure. Talk to your doctor...

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Was there something about the nurse that got your blood pressure up? Are you sure nothing else went UP?

Guest 77

• barry
    barry

I allways had high blood pressure when i went to the doctor about the 140/80 level and then i decided to have it taken away from the doctor and the average went down to 110/75 its called white collar blood pressure or sumthin because the doctors frighten most people Barry

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Is this serious? Am I going to die any minute? Or is this lady off her rocker?

You have a problem but you should be able to manage it. Fish oil capsules (Omega3) may help you. They are available over the counter and cheap. They should burn up some of that cholesterol and perhaps help you to lose weight as well. And by all means take whatever blood pressure medication the doctor prescribes. You should be able to get that job and the exercise will be good for you as well.

Joseph

• COMF
    COMF

Yours is kinda high, prof, but not in the deadly range. Needs to be brought down with diet and exercise and, if still needed, some blood pressure medication. Sometimes it's as simple as quitting smoking, cutting down on alcohol consumption, or getting out for an hour's stroll three or more times a week.

My blood pressure was hovering around 170/116 when this happened, though, so take note.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=5732&site=3

(edited to correct the bp figures)

Edited by - COMF on 15 June 2002 9:4:37

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit