California Out of Water Soon

by Village Idiot 11 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Look closely at the figures below and see how much water California has left from its major source of water the Sierra Mountains:

My advice, not that any politician would take it, would be to eliminate most agriculture in the state. Almonds, Rice and Alfalfa, are all thirsty water guzzling crops that neither those in California nor the rest of the nation needs. Other vegetables, and California is the vegetable basket of the nation, could come from elsewhere if at all.

As a resident of that state I don't like how this is shaping up.

Any comments?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Eliminating those crops would be a financial hit to the state, but it may be the only way to go. Some of the farmers got together to work out voluntary rationing. Some are tearing out older trees that take more water in the hopes of salvaging some of their younger trees. You feel bad for some of them, It's problematic for the almonds and other trees, you can't just let them die and plant when the drought I'd over (if that ever happens) it takes years to get a producing tree.

In the meantime I am hand watering some things with reclaimed water, we are taking shorter showers, and plan to put fake grass in the one small area we have grass and replace any remaining spray heads with drip. And we have instituted a "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down" plan. Or, as they said once in GB, "spare your blushes, share your flushes".

I am aiming for 30% reduction.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Village Idiot California is a desert state like Nevada. I enjoy strawberries we get get from there in winter.and that's about it. Look into farm subsidies in the state and you will see the corruption I am sure the poor poor farmers there with their illegal Mexican workers making less than the minimum wage would agree.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Don't know what happened to the image above but here it is:

• John Aquila
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

LisaRose, one of the saddest things was my seeing avocado trees destroyed. That's one of my favorite fruits. I too am doing some voluntary reduction even though the owner, for now, pays for the water. I'm afraid of the drinking water being gone from one day to the next. When that goes it will go fast.

I've stockpiled about 40 days worth of drinking water, 20 if I cook with water. It's not really enough.

truthseeker 100, corruption will only make things worse here. They too will run out of water.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

truthseeker100, I too am doing some voluntary reduction even though the owner, for now, pays for the water. I'm afraid of the drinking water being gone from one day to the next. When that goes it will go fast.

I've stockpiled about 40 days worth of drinking water, 20 if I cook with water. It's not really enough.

I had no idea it was bad there!

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Village Idiot I have not been in the state of California in years. Back in the day it was a happening place but as I remember water was always scarce there. Tell us all about the lay of the land these days, in terms of politics, who is prospering and what ever? Living next to Lake Ontario I can't even imagine what it must be like to stockpile 40 days worth of drinking water.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

truthseeker100, we've had droughts here before but even when there was no drought our water situation was non-sustainable. Rains used to average 14 inches a year where I am but we've barely got 2 or 3.

We have a democrat for governor who seems worried about the situation but is not doing what I believe he should be doing - like building 20 or so desalination plants. We have well meaning fools like William Shatner who is trying to raise 30 billion dollars to send a pipe up north. In my opinion this sum of money should be spent on desalination plants not pipe dreams.

As for the 40 days worth of water that's not really much but I can't use regular buckets to store water. The chemicals in the plastic leaches into the water. Otherwise I would be filling up 55 gallon drums.

I'm basically stuck here without any prospect of escaping from California.

• kaik
    kaik

Drought will be a major problem for California and most of the Pacific West. However, there is a good chance that this summer in the west coast will be cooler than average, and with it the summer drought wont be as severe. For this water year that started in October 1, 2014 the average rainfall in California is on 55-70%, while year ago there were much lower.

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOWRKCLI.php

Couple weeks ago there was article that California maybe entering a period of above average rainfall in 2016-2020 before it experience multi-year drought yet again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit