Genesis...contradictory?

by Preston 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewWay
    NewWay

I see Genesis 1 as a resume of the creative 'days', and Genesis 2 as giving a more detailed account starting somewhere in the sixth 'day', so I see no contradiction. Genesis 1 says that God made male and female in 'day' six (general). Genesis 2 says (quite reasonably to me, in the same sixth 'day') that Adam was created first then after some time Eve was made (specific). If I pick up a book that I'm interested in reading I would look for a short overall description to see if it whets my appetite. Suppose the introduction to that book states that in 2001 Mr Jones the baker made a couple of award-winning cakes. I make the assumption (for whatever reason) that those cakes were made at the same time for one specific competition, but it turns out on reading the rest of the book that each of those cakes was made six months apart for different competitions. Does that make the introduction and the body of the book contradictory? No, both cakes were made in the same year as stated in the introduction, but the more detailed account in the body of the book shows they were made at different times of the year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit