What's your ethical guide?

by expatbrit 11 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Anyone who doesn't have some kind of warped mental state should be able to follow basic principles of honesty and should be able to treat others with love and compassion. We don't need a high control group to dictate to us basic moral and ethical standards.

I will admit that after becoming a JW, my attention was drawn to examples of decent behavior. Unfortunately, I didn't see much of it around at the Kingdom Hall, and especially with the shenanigans of the GB.

TR

• JAVA
    JAVA

DannyBear,

I will go one step further...Jw's easily excuse their individual immorality, predicated on these high control maxims. They can lie, cheat, revile and otherwise act like total jerks...as long as the actions do not violate any perceived or outright violation of corporate codes

I witnessed this behavior often, and the longer I was in, the more obvious it became. As we know, many JWs work in the service trades, and I was always amazed how Witnesses treated others Witnesses in this area. A JW would hire another JW, expecting to receive a rock-bottom price. The JW contractor cut corners wherever possible, many times doing shoddy work. Of course neither party was happy, sometimes taking the matter to the elders. In the end, it came down to he said versus he said, with rumors afloat in the congregation. As long as parties got a few hours in, and didn't trash the Tower, life continued on as usual in the brotherhood.

If they acted this way with each other, I don't think their behavior improved with "worldly" people, unless they were trying to impress by making a "good witness." I'm sure these things go on in other religious groups, but most other groups don't claim they are the only true religion.

---JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit