If You Can't Face A Witness Funeral Again..

by Englishman 23 Replies latest jw friends

• termite 35
    termite 35

Eman;well, everyone's said it all really-I know it's nice to respect your mother's wishes to have it in the KH ;but a eulogy is such a big part to miss out is'nt it? I think i'd like to insist on saying my piece;but if they won't 'let'... you,that's ample reason to do it elsewhere

MrMoe;did I read your post right?Did you go to your mothers funeral last week; or were you 'thinking' about it last week?I've lost my mother too-hugs to you sweetie-how are you feeling? XXX

• Farkel
    Farkel

Englishman,

I attended my father's funeral last September and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Although they wouldn't let me speak and never gave an actual eulogy, they did say some kind things about some. It was mostly how he "died faithful to Jehovah," though. I'm sure the society was happy to turn my father over to "Jehovah" as he was no longer able to serve their printing empire anymore.

It wasn't nearly the WT sales-pitch that I had expected and had seen in the past.

Perhaps JWs are getting a little more civilized in their funerals. God knows, they've needed to for decades.

Farkel

• Englishman
    Englishman

Thanks, everyone, for all your comments.

I had never thought of a 2 part funeral, seems to be a possible solution to a tricky situation. I also like the idea of having some input into the witness part, asking the speaker to concentrate on the departed one rather than the dub commercial.

The reception is intriguing too, the idea of dubs munching on food paid for by an apostate and then refusing to speak to that person is hilarious.

One thing that has suddenly come to mind, is the idea that the 2 part funeral could be split into a proper one for the benefit of non JW's, and a seperate one with no coffin/casket present in the KH.

Englishman.

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

Hey Eman,

your post simply made me to change status from lurker to registered member.

Recently, my uncle, an elder for 40 yrs made me to promise him to make sure that none of his fellow elders gives his funeral talk.

Although not a custom in our area, probably I, being an elder myself, would do it. KH use is here also rather the exception.

So even faithful JW have their ideas about a decent funeral. He himself gave dozens of such talks and I can assure you they were definitely no commercials.

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit