Animation graphics in the text field

by SEAKEN2001 33 Replies latest jw friends

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I know some of you are not going to appreciate this and it probably won't start a movement that will affect a change but it will make me feel better to rant.

I find it very distracting to have moving graphics in the field of text, where we are supposed to be reading. Perhaps many of you are used to listening to the radio while studying for a test, as I have often seen depicted on TV, presumably in humor. It may be humorous but it is not conducive to actual retention and meaningful meditation. No, I'm not talking about crossing your legs and humming with your fingers in lotus position. But I am of the school of thought that says reading should be comprehended and considered. All these moving pictures just distracts from your words. Even if you have typed some very well thought out words I won't read them because I will scroll down to get that damn animation off the screen.

Like I said, this is just a rant and I don't really expect any of you folks who delight in this type of nonsense to change your habits just so I can read the forum without distraction. I'm sure I just sound like some old fuddy-duddy who lacks the talents many of you display in juggling non-sensical animated cartoons and meaningful text. Maybe I should go to college to learn how to perfect this talent you all learned while studying and listening to heavy-metal music at the same time.

There should be some way of turning this animation off while reading. In the meantime, I will continue to miss all that fine writing you folks contribute here as long as you insist on littering the screen with rediculous animations. [Note: if the animations are in the profile area I can put up with it. But in the field of the forum text I scroll past it].

Ok, end of rant, for now.

Sean

• wasasister
    wasasister

I am neither "fuddy", nor "duddy", but I do see your point.

For a too-long period, I was forced to use slow-speed dial-up access, and the animation caused havoc with the download time. It's even worse in chat.

I think it's clever (usually, except for the sad little stick figure man who trips and spills his brains all over my screen), but do remember not everyone has broadband.

• Francois
    Francois

Not only that, but some animations cause some folks' screens to jump around and you can't read the text AT ALL.

FT

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

"I'm sure I just sound like some old fuddy-duddy....."

Hi Speak:

"Fuddy-Duddy"? Now that is an archaic term!

Notwithstanding the comments of my fellow posters above, I rather like the animation. I think it makes the post look friendlier and doesn't seem to hamper my retention abilities. But then, that's just me.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Hi Dutchie,

Of course, it is not a matter of liking or not liking the actual graphics. There is a place for moving pictures. But if you want to be read, that is if you really want people to read and listen to what you are saying, the moving pictures just get in the way. When we read we make our own pictures, in our own mind. When there is a pin-wheel spinning or some big eyes blinking on an off it distracts the mind from playing it's own movies. It just seems to me that there is a serious glut of readers today and pretty little pictures are more important than the words. When I say stuff like this I sometimes get rebuffed as a snob and high-sounding intellectual. In fact, I do love pictures, and moving pictures. But they are out of place on the printed page when the words should take the leading role. In some instances, such as with playful banter and surface level curiosities it can be just fine sorting through the clutter and the pics can even serve to add to this type of exchange. But when the words are meant to be assimalated and comprehended as food for thought these types of moving images are out place and only a distraction.

All of us seem to learn to tune certain things out. Some people seem to have no problem reading a novel and watching TV at the same time, or studying for an exam and listening to music. But I rarely find it condusive to deep thinking to have too many distractions. Especially when I am writing do I find it necessary to find a quiet place with few distractions. I know I am not the only one who feels this way and I know that there are many others who really don't care about what I call a distraction and have no problem with what I find irritating. I really just wanted to rant a bit and maybe get some sympathy. [g]

I now live in a world where the written word is old-fashioned and plain. I am completely happy with all text web-sites when my purpose is reading. But by far the majority of people making web-sites think that plain text is bad and would not be caught dead putting their name on it. At least there are still a few publishers who still use old-fashioned plain text, just good old words, to paint their pictures. I fear that someday no outlets will accept plain-text books since they won't be considered marketable. I hope that day never comes.

Sean, ranting a little more.

• Princess
    Princess

>>Rachel is furiously looking for animation to put in the text area just to bug her cousin Sean<<

What did you expect?

Rachel

"Consider the lilies of the goddamn field" -Ulysses Everett McGill

• Princess
    Princess

You mean like this?

Rachel

"Consider the lilies of the goddamn field" -Ulysses Everett McGill

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Speak, well I sympathize with you. I read your post with keen interest and I respect your outlook. I don't agree but I certainly can empathize with your feelings.

Princess is your cousin? Well, aren't you lucky to have such a nice cousin and such beautiful little red-haired cousins? Why, I respect you more just for these accomplishments!

Kind regards.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Oh My God, Princess. I can't believe you did that! And to a relative too! Poor Speak! Poor Speak!

Funny though.

• SYN
    SYN

Are you reading this?

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit