WT Public Information-Position On Murder

by silentlambs 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Cygnus, I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

Are you saying that since JWs base their “Two Witnesses” law on the bible, that it is OK for them to use it, even when a serious offence has been committed and secular law demands further investigation?

What is your own opinion of the "Two Witnesses" law in regard to how it should be applied to serious offences (murder, rape, molestation, etc...)?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Even in the watchtower bible, the scripture states that two or three witnesses are needed to establish a matter.

A MATTER.

Not an ACT.

NO THEY DO NOT HAVE SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT IN ANY WAU SHAPE OR FORM, BECAUSE

when it is okay to disfellowship a smoker based on the two person two act rule then?

ONE of these rules at least is unscriptural.

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Hillary,

We did have a little period of hypersensitivity when the word "troll" was, IMHO, bandied about a little to readily. But in this case Alan and One aren't trying to shut Cygnus up, they're just disagreeing with him.

Cygnus,

Bill Bowen has already stated that he does not wish to discuss his acceptance or non-acceptance of specific JW doctrine. Bill posted the society's stated position on a serious sin other than molestation, and where the two witnesses rule fits in. I don't see how his non/acceptance of JW doctrine matters. Are you implying that if he accepts the two witnesses rule as scriptural, he shouldn't knock it? Then by the same token, if you find it unscriptural, should you defend it?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hmmm,

Thank you for your note, yes, I do appreciate what you are saying and I in no way am focusing on any individual in my comments.

Alan answered the question that Cygnus posed to Bill Bowen, imho accurately. I do however recognize and sympathise with what Cygnus has been attempting to do the past while in his posts, which if I have understood correctly is to widen the issues beyond the angry and frustrated WTS bash and to try to play the 'Devils Advocate'.

I think this is healthy and should not be interpreted in a reactionary way. I think if more 'Devil's Advocacy' was posed on the Board regarding these issues, then we will learn to understand our own experiences more fully, and subsequently be able to place the WTS in its correct place in our history as well as theological history. Perhaps we can then even learn to move on with our lives, and lay the past to rest.

It does seem sometimes that when someone raises a question, or in any way defends the WTS for any good that it may have done, they are leaped upon, their posts savaged and they are left bruised and battered. Anything WTS shaped whether it has merit or not, is attacked and this can hardly be described as a reasoned approach.

For all the ugliness and spitefulness that I saw as a JW, I also saw as many acts of genuine love and sincere kindness, and this is important to remember as it is one of the reasons that motivates JW's to defend its leaders with such vigor.

It rather reminds me of Bayne's words, which if I have remembered them correctly state,"Those who refuse the long drudgery of thought, and think with the heart rather than the head, are ever most fiercly dogmatic".

Frankly Hmmm, I see so much anger among XJW's, that I geniunely worry sometimes that a young, impressionable, disfunctional JW leaves the WTS and wallows in this atmosphere to the point that they want to take more direct action, than just the grammatical exchanges you see here.

Anyway, this is probably the end of a tired day speaking. I will re-read this in the morning and contradict myself if neccessary....lol

Take care Hmmm - HS

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Hillary,

Thank you. You summed up my motives well.

Elsewhere,

: Are you saying that since JWs base their “Two Witnesses” law on the bible, that it is OK for them to use it, even when a serious offence has been committed and secular law demands further investigation?

I am not saying it is "OK." There are a lot of things about JWism that I disagree with. Also there are many things in state law enforcement that I also disagree with. However, I get very uncomfortable when people are told how they MUST handle certain matters.

This is not to say that I support elders who have tried to keep JWs from going to the police. However, as far as the congregation goes, I see no reason to reform the internal protocol which demands two witnesses to an alleged sin.

I think some accusations against JWs are rather absurd ("a child molestor is knocking at your door!"). And I think that the Society's current position is reasonable. The faults and errors and misapplications of local congregations appointing men to positions of responsibility or allowing them to go door to door alone is not the Society's fault.

• AlanF
    AlanF

To Cygnus:

:: Bill's analogy is valid because it parodies how the Society handles a murder case as opposed to a molestation case. It does this by showing the ridiculousness of handling a murder case by the same principles and rules as it does a molestation case.

: That was my point. Stealing, fraud and other crimes are also DFing offences, but every case is handled slightly different.

What does that have to do with your actual comments? Bill gave his analogy; I commented "perfect". You said:

::: I entirely disagree. The comparison is invalid for the reason that murder, for most murderers, is generally not a compelling addiction or a behavior that is acted upon often and repeatedly. Also, the testimony of a dead person is basically sound (the act was indeed committed as someone is dead). It is far more difficult to corroborate an alleged molestation.

You're not making sense.

: I understand where Bill is coming from but I think he was simply trying to sensationalize the issue.

He's certainly trying to sensationalize the issue, but that's because the media and the public only respond to sensationalism. If you have a better way to bring public attention to the way JWs mishandle -- just as the Catholic Church has done -- have grossly mishandled, child molestation cases in the past, then tell him how to do it. Do you think that the media's handling of the Church's sins has been less than sensational? I don't. Nevertheless, everyone with more than half a brain understands that a certain amount of hyperbole is needed to get the ball rolling when apathy reigns supreme. Most people are more interested in a hockey game than in the crimes committed against molestation victims, until a sensational bit of news intrudes on their consciousness via "Hey! This could have been my kid!" Finally, nothing that Bill has said is wrong; he has merely concentrated on the more sensational aspects of the Society's neglect.

:: The Society has two serious problems in its application of the two-witnesses rule: (1) the rule is ancient and outmoded;

: I don't disagree, however, the BIBLE has it as a rule, both in the Old and the New testaments. My question was, should the JWs divert from a clear biblical directive because Caesar says so?

Of course! They deviate from "clear biblical directive" constantly, whenever it suits their needs, so why would they slavishly adhere to an obviously outmoded rule? The answer is clear: the Society's leaders want to protect certain molesters in their ranks.

Not just "Caesar", but common sense should dictate when to deviate from a strict interpretation of a biblical rule. Suppose you see a child run out of an elder's house naked. You note that the child's genital area is bleeding. Should you now apply the "two-witnesses" rule and say, "Well, I'm the only one who saw this kid run out of the house, so there's nothing I can do", and then walk away? I think not. A little common sense should tell you that the kid is also a witness to the crime.

Next consider a more realistic situation. Suppose that same kid ends up at the police station and is checked by medical personnel for evidence of rape. Semen is found in the child's vagina and rectum, and her flesh is torn by the entry of a large object. The child accuses her father of raping her. Police take a DNA sample and it matches the DNA of the semen found in the child. The father is put in prison. Now the elders must decide whether to disfellowship the man. Should they do it? Why or why not? You tell me, using the Bible as a guide.

:: (2) it does not strictly follow the rule.

: You give the example of two elders spying on a brother who spends the night at a known homosexual's house.

That's right, but there are others. A common one, given by several elders I talked to about the "two-witnesses" rule, is smoking. A person can be DF'd if two people testify that each observed the person smoking, even though neither witness saw the same act of smoking.

: That is far different from the accusation of one child against someone who otherwise has a good reputation in the congregation.

No it isn't. It comes under the umbrella of strong circumstantial evidence. The Society certainly violates its "two-witnesses" policy by allowing for strong circumstantial evidence. Here is what the Flock book states, under the heading "What kind of evidence is acceptable?":

"There must be two or three eyewitnesses, not just persons repeating what they have heard; no action can be taken if there is only one witness. (Deut. 19:15; John 8:17)

Confession (admission of wrongdoing), either written or oral, may be accepted as conclusive proof without other corroborating evidence. (Josh. 7:19)

Strong circumstantial evidence, such as pregnancy or evidence (testified to by at least two witnesses) that the accused stayed all night in the same house with a person of the opposite sex (or in the same house with a known homosexual) under improper circumstances, is acceptable.

The testimony of youths may be considered; it is up to the elders to determine if the testimony has the ring of truth.

The testimony of unbelievers may also be considered, but it must be carefully weighed.

If there are two or three witnesses to the same kind of wrongdoing but each one is witness to a separate incident, their testimony can be considered.

Such evidence may be used to establish guilt, but it is preferable to have two witnesses to the same occurrence of wrongdoing."

The above quotation contains three bolded statements where the Society allows that the "two-witnesses" rule is not applicable at all, or is not strictly applicable. How then, can you claim that they consistently apply this rule?

There are at least two situations where the "two-witnesses" rule is a poor means of establishing guilt. One is where a single victim makes an accusation; the other is where multiple victims make accusations of separate molestation events. In both cases elders are incompetent to establish guilt or innocence. That's why Bowen is saying that the elders should bow out and simply tell the victim or her guardians to contact police. The Society, in contrast, is telling elders that they must first establish guilt or innocence, and then if guilt is established, they might then suggest that the police contacted. Do you see why this whole policy is atrociously stupid?

Professionals have stated repeatedly that the probability of false accusations by a child in the above two situations is very low. Since elders are incompetent to evaluate such evidence, it follows that they must be required by the Society to advise that police or children's services authorities be contacted. The same goes for when multiple children accuse a man of molesting them.

Now suppose the police gather enough evidence to convict the accused person. Should elders then second-guess the police and determine whether the person is really guilty of molestation? In the Fitzwater case, which was mentioned on Dateline and about which Laurie Fitzwater has posted on this board, the Society was aware of 17 counts of molestation, and yet they refused to disfellowship the molester because of the two-witnesses rule. Isn't that an example of gross, self-serving hypocrisy, given what the Flock book says? You better believe it! It also proves that the Society's claims that witnesses to two or more separate events of molestation are sufficient to establish guilt are false. Now why do you think the Society is lying to the public about this?

: I haven't much to comment on regarding your speculation that high-level JWs are molesters themselves.

It's not speculation. Several Watchtower officials have told me in no uncertain terms that Greenlees raped a little boy and that's why he was forced to resign from the GB.

:: I'm beginning to wonder, Cygnus, if you're not longing for that warm old fuzzy nothingness that comprises the JW world, a world where real thinking is not desired or welcomed.

: On the contrary, Alan. On this board I see a gang mentality and a lot of people who will jump on the bandwagon as long as it is anti-Watchtower. I have no love for the Watchtower at all,

Ah, I see. But how does that relate to the fact that you're not exactly presenting logical, well-thought-out rejoinders to various posters, but are writing nearly incoherent things that don't reflect reality? You sound exactly like the JWs who are using illogical, emotional arguments to defend their organization on other online forums. Do you think that illogical, emotional arguments that ignore facts will somehow turn that perceived "gang mentality" around and convince people that Watchtower has magically become full of good motives?

You may wonder at the highly emotional responses of some to the molestation issue. But you don't have kids, and you've not had the parental hormones kick in that drive parents even to sacrifice their lives for their kids. This is exactly the problem with the Society's policies: they're not formulated by people with an emotional investment in children, but by old, childless men whose investment (they think) is in heaven. They simply don't care, and don't care to understand, the importance of this issue.

: but it seems like nobody wants to ask Bill Bowen or anyone else any tough questions.

Nonsense. You go right ahead and formulate some logical, unemotional, fact-filled questions and see what happens. If you're sincere, you'll start by dealing with the facts I've presented above.

In a later post you said:

: I think some accusations against JWs are rather absurd ("a child molestor is knocking at your door!").

This is not absurd at all. Most people assume that an organization that deliberately sends representatives to peoples' doors will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the representatives are not criminals, and are otherwise "safe". Whether most organizations that send representatives to doors do this or not is irrelevant; the issue with respect to JWs has now reached the public eye and as a result, the Society will be forced to clean up its act or face the collapse of its touted preaching work. Thus, even though a bit of hyperbole is involved, it has served its purpose of alerting the public to a serious problem among the JWs.

: And I think that the Society's current position is reasonable.

It's more reasonable than it was five years ago, but it still has a ways to go. In fact, the Society needs to go the extra mile to clean up decades of neglect and of its creating the bad attitudes that are still popping up in how elders handle molestation cases. And of course, we know very well that the Society's published statements do not necessarily accurately reflect what they privately instruct elders to do. In fact, some of the recently published statements are outright lies.

: The faults and errors and misapplications of local congregations appointing men to positions of responsibility or allowing them to go door to door alone is not the Society's fault.

When you put it that way, you're right. But you're ignoring the reality that published policy statements are sometimes not what the Society itself tells elders to follow. For example, J. R. Brown recently told the media that a known molester is not allowed to go door to door alone. No one I know had ever heard of that policy, so I contacted a number of practicing elders. They never heard of it either. Then I contacted the Society's Department of Public Disinformation. Brown happened to be away, but the guy I talked to never heard of the rule either, and said he'd get back to me in a few days after Brown got back. Then I contacted someone in the Service Department. It was one of the state Service Desk people, and he never heard of this policy either. Then I contacted a top Service Department official, who refused to tell me if he knew of such a policy or not. Obviously he didn't, but suspected that if he confirmed it, he'd be putting his neck on the line. A few days later I contacted DPI again and talked to the same guy I talked to before. By this time he had gotten to Brown and gotten a sort of answer: what Brown really meant when he told the media that molesters can't go door to door alone was that elders should have enough common sense not to allow them to do so. I said, "So Brown was wrong in claiming that this is an actual policy." He confirmed this. So it's pretty obvious that Brown deliberately misled several reporters, and the Society is continuing to do so.

So, Cygnus, given demonstrated lying like this by Watchtower spokesmen, why would you believe anything they say at all? Isn't it painfully clear that these men are lying, self-serving hypocrites?

Hillary, I appreciate your comments. Nevertheless, see above. Playing devil's advocate is great, but must be done logically, unemotionally and with solid facts -- especially in a volatile forum and especially when a sensitive issue is the focus. The act of posing logical, objective arguments acts greatly to defuse the emotionalism of "the gang", but using bad arguments merely inflames it.

AlanF

• hannibal
    hannibal

Attention Parents!

Take your children to the Police!

If there is an alligation,take them to the athority!

Its your resposiblity!

Intimadation happens in all avenues of life.

If i worked for a imployer and found out something

that the ceo was doing illegially, and he told me

if you go the the police I'LL FIRE YOU! or even worse.

I may think to my self 'were else will i go' , 'i make

a good living, i'm comfortable', etc..IT IS STILL

MY RESPOSIBILTY!

Parents, dont let intimation allow you from doing the right

thing, also, any organiation that would use such

intimadation is evil to the core and should be exsposed!

Bill Bowen has gone a long way towards that and should

be commended, Thank You, Bill!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

The MAIN PROBLEM with WTS policy is that it is designed to protect WTS and not the members.

With regard to Child Abuse they claim they must adhere to a 2 witness law as outlined in the Bible. BUT they do not adhere to this same law in cases of smoking, immorality, saluting the flag etc., these other disfellowshipping offenses are much easier to get df'd for them Child abuse or even murder. If your a single man and you stay the night at a single sisters house, whether you sleep on the coach or stay up talking you can be DF'd if your car is seen there all night. Elders have spent countless nights following around mates of different JW's to see how long their car is at a certain place. It's soo easy to df someone if they have sex with a consenting adult, BUT WHY IS IT SO difficult to df someone if they RAPE A CHILD!!!!! THIS IS INSANE!!! They are HIDING behind a biblical command which was not given to PROTECT PEDOPHILES and CRIMINALS. This has been hideously twisted to suit their needs, this rule can be broken on ANY other basis, but they hold true to in on Child Abuse which is the LEAST LIKELY crime to have any witnesses too it!!!!

If they are going to use the 2 Witness rule where do they decide to quit using the Bibles rules. Because if they're going to keep to the Biblical laws strictly then they should stone someone they find guilty!!!!! Do we see them Stoning people????? No why? BECAUSE IT IS AGAINST THE LAW!!!! so what right do they have to BREAK THE LAW regarding CHILD ABUSE. They just pick and choose which laws they want to follow depending on what is gonna save THEIR (WTS)'s NECKS!!!!!

To illustrate according to the old testament if two single people slept together ALL that was required of them was to get married. They were not punished or dealt with judicially and no announcement was made!!! Yet today if two people that are engaged have sex before they're married they can both be publicly reproved or disfellowshiped, clearly NOT FOLLOWING Biblical LAW.

Also ones found guilty of immorality should be stoned!!!! But once again we don't see that happening, WHY? Because they PICK AND CHOOSE what they want to uphold. Therefore they have NO RIGHT TO PICK OUT IF THE BLUE SOME LAW THEY CHOOSE WHEN THE CONSEQUENCE OF SAID LAW PROTECTS PEDOPHILES!!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Alan,

Hillary, I appreciate your comments. Nevertheless, see above. Playing devil's advocate is great, but must be done logically, unemotionally and with solid facts -- especially in a volatile forum and especially when a sensitive issue is the focus. The act of posing logical, objective arguments acts greatly to defuse the emotionalism of "the gang", but using bad arguments merely inflames it.

I too appreciate your thoughts and reasoning on this matter. It *is* a very volatile subject and *very* hard to keep enflamed emotions from dictating the path of our thought processes. I could not agree more with you that rationality both in argument and presentation of argument is required on all fronts.

No decision this serious in its implications should be reached on the basis of emotion. That is why the Law always seeks to establish precedents not on raw emotion, but clinical academia - it is safer that way. The alternatives to this are a metaphoric group lynching, and judgment by the mob.

I have to say however I do not see Cygnus, at least in this post as enflaming the issue. He is presenting a differing view, one that I think you know that I vehemently disagree with, but which *needs* to be examined. His arguments may indeed be thoroughly flawed, but they do represent the sentiments of most JW's. and certainly reflect the thinking of a group of men who influence the directions, and subsequently the lives of millions of people.

What has become clear in this matter, as discussed *because* Cygnus asked his question of Bill, is the following :

1) The WTS follows a Biblical Hebrew scriptual precedent in the establishing the guilt of any wrongdoing among its adherents.

2) They do not aplly this principle in a consistent manner when it interferes with their ultimate goals.

3) The use of this Biblical principle has proved to be singularly unable to cope with the complexities of C21st life and as such is not adequate to protect the lives and welfare of its adherents.

4) The GB, though having been informed long ago of the inadequacy of using such archaic principles to establish its legal groundwork, have chosen to ignore all counsel, and refused to apologize for the damage caused by the use of such principles.

The GB may indeed be trying to protect some, who are very close to themselves, perhaps even related to one another, from prosecution for the very crimes that we are now discussing.

I agree entirely Alan, I am sure you know this, with the basis of your argument, but we must allow those with differing views to present those views without fear of verbal assaults and reprisals, Sometimes this Board does not allow that of people, and can subsequently frighten away those who may bring much of value to this whole issue, and yes, I do have someone in mind as I write this. Of course their arguments may be flawed and even provocative, but all the more reason to approach this subject with dignity and rationality, as you have in your post above.

Erica’s crucifix was commented on as a reason which JW’s will dismiss the value of her testimony. "She was wearing a crucifix - she must be wrong". It might sound a little like, "He is a JW he must be wrong".

As to the matter of molesters being accompanied as they go from door to door. At an elders school I attended in Europe in 1997, if I remember correctly, the elders were indeed instructed verbally not to allow molesters to visit homes unaccompanied, and were only to be accompanied by grown men. I checked the notation in my elders book to see if I had imagined the statement, and it *is* noted.

Maybe Brown slid in on his oily rag by citing European policy, which as you know can differ greatly with US policy on such matters.

Best to you Alan - HS

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Briefly, we are talking about what JW elders ought to do within the congregation. Should the accused be investigated or not? This investigation has nothing to do with the criminality of the matter. It has to do with whether congregation judicial action will take place.

I also do not believe the Society's position is for a JW to completely ignore evidence of a molestation, nor for the elders to tell people to be quiet and cover it up. Certainly some elders have done this, but is that the current policy from HQ?

If it is (and surely you know more about this than I do Alan) then I am leading this into a fruitless discussion. Make no mistake - I am not defending the Watchtower. However, the elders' primary responsibility is to the congregation and not the law. That is the JW perspective, right or wrong.

I would be interested to know what congregational censures or punishments you would be willing to place on a man who was accused of two Witness kids of molesting them but was found not guilty in a court of law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit