crazy analogy question regarding Jesus' divinity [or lack of]

by TTWSYF 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Haha, I'm glad you guys enjoyed that.

Regardless of how much of an oversimplification or how out of context the analogy might be, it remains incomprehensible to me. But then, I've been an atheist for years (though still in the cult currently, and learned TTATT like 8 months ago - my life is fun) so I find that I have little patience for the sort of mental gymnastics it takes to make sense of something like this. Meanwhile there's so much about the universe that can be well understood and we can bask in it's beautiful and elegant simplicity.

In all honesty, I'm not really sure of the purpose of this thread (was the preist trying to explain things, or trying to demonstrate how absurd it all is?) so I'll leave you fine folks to it...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OneEyedJoe - "Was the preist trying to explain things, or trying to demonstrate how absurd it all is?"

A little from "Column A", a little from "Column B".

• Terry
    Terry

We could also scrutinize our definitions of such significant concepts as DIVINE.

Is everybody who is invisible and heavenly also DIVINE?

Whichever way you answer (Yes/No) you are filtering your opinion with a personal preference at the outset.

The scholar's test is to substitute one word in place of the other and see how the 'meaning' is affected.

"Wesley Walstrom married my mother and named me Terry Walstrom when I was born."

Let me make some substitutions.

"My Dad married Lillian Hybarger and named the author of this sentence when he was born."

Both sentences are true and the substitutions did not corrupt the meaning. More/Less information appears depending on the choices.

Words in the Bible are easily st-r-e-t-c-h-ed like an elastic band to fit poetic expressions, 'spiritualized' expressions, parabolic expressions, etc.

It becomes a matter of some considerable debate to state ABSOLUTELY one state of interpretation over another.

CONTEXT as to time and place is certainly vital. Who was speaking to whom and why?

For the supreme being in all the universe to be offended is puzzling.

How does one harm a being who possesses everything, including knowledge, power, eternity, and wisdom?

Being offended, for the Living God, is an act of psychological inferiority.

All the above is said to now say this:

Religious people who insist on using Scripture to prove/disprove various interpretations are kidding themselves.

If you play along, you are kidding yourself.

There is no THERE, there.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Apognophos - The analogy goes like this. God is the man who gets bit by the neighbors {Jesus's} dog {us humans}. God [the Father, more specifically] needs correction. Does a monkey {Angel Michael} satisfy the correction? I think no. Now, how is Jesus the neighbor? Colossians 1;16 says that allthings were created by Jesus for Jesus. So Jesus created all things that were created. The monkey and the dog are his.

Like I stated in the title CRAZY ANALOGY QUESTION, not NORMAL ANALOGY QUESTION.

Thank God I answered that one before I saw One Eyed Joe's comment. I had to stop writing for 10 minutes before writing again because I was laughing so hard! That;s a good one....until you look more closely. My analogy has legs...just saying

Sloppy Joe, are you related to One Eyed Joe? You guys are killing it!

The Truth Shall Set Us Free - For the Father loved the world so much that he sent his only begotten son to die for us. I didn't say that, the bible did. ps I like your name.

Terry - you mean that in an atom in my finger, there could be a whole little universe?!?

the truth will set you free TTWSYF

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Okay, I didn't realize that the neighbor was Jesus. So... the analogy is saying that Jesus is responsible for Adam's and Eve's disobedience, hence the need to sacrifice himself on Earth? I've never heard this suggested before.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Like I said. The analogy made me think. Not saying that I'm buying or selling it.

just saying I suppose

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

What Terry said!

Sometimes, Terry, you seem a little loooong in your posts, BUT I enjoy every one of them. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Not too many of them around anymore.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit