No words

by mikeypants 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

so, I'm visiting family this week who are all jws. Yesterday, it started with one of them talking about a CO giving her some points on time keeping for service. She is now writing a letter before she drives to service, so she can count her drive time. My reaction, so freaking lame. We aren't trying to preach to others using our time to the fullest, we are finding ways to "cheat" hours. I mean, really. Does God really give a crap if you drive to service and count your time? Who comes up with these arbitrary numbers and rules? It's so stupid! And everyone just goes with it.

my second item. A friend made a comment about not being able to find the Daniel book on jw.org anymore. His wife said, "maybe it's because they are changing it". Everyone said," oh yeah, that must be it" and moved on. Not one question of why the hell is it being changed... Just complete acceptance in the org. Sickening and sad.

that is all.

• Fulano2
    Fulano2

Yes, the bloody hours, and weird that this CO gives that kind of advice. in The Netherlands we also had discussions about counting the time of a 20 minuten coffee break or not. Ridiculous.

They accept any change, that's why it's so difficult to discuss with them. I stopped having contact with my familiy, always used to and up in a dispute.

• XkhanX
    XkhanX

Same here. immediately after the FS meeting ends, I notice some pioneers starts to call up their Bible students or RV, chat a little with them,ask if they are at home., or any small talk. Deep down, we know they are starting to count time. Why does the preaching work deteriorate to merely counting hours instead of making your hours count. Does the true God look at your time sheet, I mean really???

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So when the annual report boasts about "100billion million bazzillion hours were spent in teaching people the truth of gods word" , we can all do quick calculations to work out that the REAL time was 100th of that amount!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

we are finding ways to "cheat" hours.

That's been done for as long as there was hour reporting. Pioneering, we'd immediately do a couple of persistent 'not homes' or a RV nearby or give a tract to some unsuspecting passerby, then we'd have started the clock. We could then drive miles to the territory, not stressing because of having already started our time. We could count our coffee break if we left a mag or tract with the assistant. All 'creative' hour counting.

I mean, really. Does God really give a crap if you drive to service and count your time?

Nope. But the Org. does.

A friend made a comment about not being able to find the Daniel book on jw.org anymore. His wife said, "maybe it's because they are changing it". Everyone said," oh yeah, that must be it" and moved on.

jw.org has publications back to 2000 (with one or two exceptions like the Insight volumes). The Daniel's Prophecy book is from 1999.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I don't understand how driving is considered preaching. I never understood the counting of time. It's rather useless to me. All that time spent walking, and driving is counted yet no one is 'preached' to during this. To me, the amount of time you spend at the door actually talking to someone is what should be counted if at all.

My Dad could never answer my questions on this. You could spend hours and hours driving and walking to peoples' homes and if no one is home, not one person will be 'preached' to yet the time is counted.

It makes zero sense to count this as it is 100% useless ... oh, unless your goal is REALLY to keep people busy so they think they are doing something important and to use it as a control mechanism.

• carla
    carla

The counting of time keeps them all on the hamster wheel doesn't it? no time to think of what really matters, keeps your mind occupied with how to cheat the system so to speak.

Their whole system is devised to keep a jw from thinking at all. Even their so called 'bible studies' are a no thinking zone. Go through the book(s) and regurgitate back what is said, "now you got it!" no questioning allowed, no real research and definitely no deep thinking!

• hoser
    hoser

When I was a pioneer I used to stress about time. I had to. Thats what it is all about. Putting in time.

When I go on service with pioneers it is a joke. It is easy to tell they are trying to count the maximum hours while doing the minimum amount of preaching.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This was why I hated going out at all, it just seemed so inefficient and futile. If preaching was so important why did we waste so much time doing everything but preaching? As a working mom my free time was precious, I wasn't going to waste my Saturday morning driving around and going on coffee breaks.

It was all about numbers on a time slip, not reaching hearts and minds, all for show. A scripture comes to mind, "having a FORM of godly devotion but proving false to its power".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thus the person who is called a "Star Pioneer".

You start by making an RV down here close to the KHall, then drive WAY up there to another. . . . WAY back down there to one. . . . then drive WAY over there to the far side of the territory. . . . . take a long break. . . . . and finish by driving to the otherside of the territory and back to the Hall.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit