CREATIVE "DAYS" - What do JWs believe?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The essence of the problem is that Bible chronology adds up to 40?? BC for Adam's creation. I once went through it scripture by scripture from Jesus back to Adam, did all the sums. That can't budge, as far as the Bible is concerned WT has to be welded to that belief, there is no wiggle room.

The idea that the first human was created C 6000 years ago is so at odds with a mountain of irrefutable evidence pointing aching distances into the past that it is an unsustainable position. The solution is that nothing is said. They never print a position that states their real beliefs. They hedge and spin and don't tackle the problem.

The position is impossible, their alternatives include:

a. Re-publish the aprox Bible date of Adam's creation and be even more of a joke.

b. Go down the Adam is an allegory route and try and explain Jesus having seen it as fact.

c. Do nothing and hope it goes away.

I think that this is a single unanswerable question that would convince any reasonably thinking person that WT don’t have a clue as to what the Bible Really Teaches. The whole edifice of chronology is without foundation, fiction. They have no claim to have anything approaching truth.

If there is a flaw in this logic please explain it to me.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I agree, Slidin. They're definitely going with (c) for a few different subjects -- their old statements on certain banned forms of sex would be another example of deciding not to talk about something anymore and hoping it goes away.

P.S.: Please check your PMs, Hotdogs.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Slidin Fast - "b. Go down the Adam is an allegory route and try and explain Jesus having seen it as fact."

I've always found it odd that fundy Christians use Jesus' reference as "proof" that he viewed Adam as a literal historic figure, whereas in the rest of the Gospels, Jesus taught almost exclusively through the use of parables, i.e. allegories...

• undercover
    undercover

All JWs know is exactly what the WTS tells them, "We are NOT creationists. We do NOT believe in a literal 24 hour day creation". And they all feel good about being intellectually superior to fundie nut job creationists, not realizing that they are are, um, fundamentally, creationists themselves. The difference between 10,000 and 50,000 is miniscule when compared to 13.8 billion...

• Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Awake 2003 - 22 Sept - Pages 18-21

Science Was My Religion

"Furthermore, a creative day as understood by the ancients can mean an epoch of extended duration, in much the same way as the terms “period” and “era” are used by science in describing earth history. Thus, the Bible is not at odds with scientific findings. It indicates that the creative days lasted aeons. It does not support the conclusion of creationists who believe that those days were each 24 hours in length"

Awake 2006 - September - Pages 18-20

Does Science Contradict the Genesis Account?

"Contrary to the claims of some Fundamentalists, Genesis does not teach that the universe, including the earth and all living things on it, was created in a short period of time in the relatively recent past. Rather, the description in Genesis of the creation of the universe and the appearance of life on earth harmonizes with many recent scientific discoveries."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit