Does What We Say Here Or In Person Really Help JWs To Get Out Of The Religion?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I would say there are a handful of sites that, once you start questioning, play a big part in educating and informing one on the other side of the "truth". jwfacts, this site, jwstruggle, 607v587.com, jwsurvey. Youtube is very good as well if you pick your posters. I personally really like apostachick and jwpodcast. I think reddit is good for some but I don't really use it.

For me the other sites are more secular like those debunking {EDIT} creationism (not evolution!), the Flood etc were also pivotal in helping me get over my mental reasoning blocks.

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

Yes I'd say so.

I'm born in and baptized.

I started reading 2 months ago searching for questions.

Now I know that it is all a lie, I always had my suspicions but finding solid evidence helps!

• pronomono
    pronomono

Yes! This site helped me immensely. In the order of help, Ray Franz's two books were the most influential, followed by JWFacts, and then you guys. No offense, but from years of mental conditioning I just didn't trust you but I was willing to peer in with my guard up to do an honest investigation. Aside from the occasional troll, I found you to be legit and rational. Terry's massively long posts helped me out more than he'll ever know. (So thanks Terry for helping free my mind.)

Currently, I still have one foot in the door, but the rest of me is out. This year, I've only had to sit through three meetings and a one day assembly and no service. I haven't really received any pressure from the elders for this year. My fade is going strong, but I'm still waiting on the fallout from when the rest of my friends and family realize how bad (or good) it's become. The only one that knows is my wife, and she's been silently supportive, missing all the meetings and service I miss. I guess now it's been close to a year and a half since I've knocked on a door.

• cognitivedizzy
    cognitivedizzy
    I would have been a inner , if not for this website, now im a outter :P
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I do not believe websites like this create doubt in lurkers, but I do think it definitely helps people who already have doubts get out. Having doubts and beginning to realize what the truth about the watchtower is a very lonely place to be. Forums like this give much needed support that help you sort out the real truth and then eventually leave.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    I think what we say helps. This site, reddit, jwfacts, and Crisis of Conscience all helped me. I wouldn't have known about Crisis of Conscience if it wasn't for this site and others. Now I'm trying to research more and hone my skills as far as socratic questioning to help others.
  • bemused
    bemused

I hope so, although it's hard for me to say as a never-in. However I'd have thought that at the least sites like this must persuade some potential recruits not to join. People are so used to doing Google searches now before committing to something, that some must come across sites like this and be put off joining as a result.

It must be a real problem for the WT when recruiting. Do they try to persuade potential recruits not to look at the internet? It would be like a hotel trying to get you to book a holiday with them but saying whatever you do, don't look at Trip Adviser!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

One needs only to count how often we see, "Long time lurker, first time poster..."

hell YEAH our comments on this board reach elders; and help them escape! This board helped the living eff out of me.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I would have to say the evidence certainly suggests that sites like theses are having an effect on Wt ability to recruit and retain members. The statistical data taken from year books by jwfacts, shows a dramatic decline since the advent of the internet. I sort of can't help but think if Wt now has regrets about not jumping on the internet band wagon sooner, than they have, and even then is it enough. Their history is history now, and cannot be changed. I think they have to have more pro sites on the net, and just by the shear volume drown out or certainly make it harder for apostate sites to be found by Google searches. But then on saying that, it would then make it easier for the apostate to then question the validity of the witness Web site. Damned if they do and Damned if they don't. It's just a shame that most of the R&F haven't got a clue that the real issue of recruitment isn't about knocking on doors, but that the real battle is raging on the internet. I could speculate that some could have suspicions of where the problem lies. In my own case (although I must admit I did have issues with the Org and hadn't been happy in the religion for some years) I never intended to go to apostate web sites. It all started off with a question, and I thought to myself well if the information is so good from the F&DS then why haven't they provided any statistical data to back their claims up. I earnestly looked for weeks in the society publications for this information. After finding nothing but a series of bible quotations, I google searched it. With in seconds I had an answer, and discovered that it was for good reason that no statistical data had been provided.

I can give another example I know of that is similar to mine. There were a married couple who were studying with the witnesses for a couple of months. He had his own business while she had a responsible position in a government department. These were good, descent middle-upper middle class people that would of been an asset to any organisation they joined. I remember never seeing them again after they told me that they were discussing bible truth with a relative. Just recently I saw them in town and decided to ask them what happened. The reply was simple (1) the relative google JW (2) sex abuse. Sums it up really and I think WTBTS would be foolish if they didn't realize what was going on.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Of course the R&F have got no idea of the extent of the people who are walking out the door because of apostate web sites like this because most just choose to say nothing. Then there is the issue of dumb ass elders who can't even be bothered to find out why that one chose to walk out the door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit