Why dont U.S. JW's Celelbrate Thanksgiving

by stan101 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan101
    stan101

I remeber the old young people ask book had an entry that explained why each holiday was bad. I was searching for it today on jw.org and it looks like the new young people ask has ommited that section. Im just curiouse why Jw's dont celebrate the holiday.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Its a national holiday. JW's try to stay separate from national/all holiday celebrations.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I say "try" because they are hypocrites. I remember having a big turkey dinner with an elder and his family. However it was a day or 2 later. Other years, i remember having turkey dinner on thanksgiving.

This was our first thanksgiving where we hosted. Went awesome. So full.

• blondie
    blondie

Because it is a national holiday like the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day and jws feel it violates neutrality.

*** rs p. 182 Holidays ***

Christians toward ceremonies commemorating events in a nation’s political history?

John 18:36: “Jesus answered [the Roman governor]: ‘My kingdom is no part of this world.’”

John 15:19: “If you [Jesus’ followers] were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you.”

1 John 5:19: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (Compare John 14:30; Revelation 13:1, 2; Daniel 2:44.)

*** sj Holidays and Celebrations ***National Holidays

Other holidays are somewhat different in nature. These are not so universally celebrated, but may be unique to a particular country. For example, there may be national days of thanksgiving. In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation’s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays. Though we respect the authorities in whatever country we may reside, for conscientious reasons we do not give them what we view as worshipful honors. We remain neutral toward all such celebrations. This is in keeping with Jesus’ words regarding his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.”—John 17:16.

• Marvin Shilmer
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

I love US Thanksgiving.

Food, football, and family (just do it with the ones you want - save your arguing for Christmas [or, for me, Festivus] ).

• stan101
    stan101

Thanks all for the posts so far. I Faded a decade ago and was just thinking about the fact that all families are getting together but for some reason jw's shy away from it, and I was unsure behind the reasoning why.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

JWs don't celebrate thanksgiving because they are mindless drones subservient to a mind-controlling cult out of New York.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sadly Jehovah's Witnesses live within a psychosis of fear.

A fear which was placed and created intensionally to uphold the power and prominence of the Watchtower Corporation's leaders.

• zeb
    zeb

would someone like to tell this Aussie what Thanksgiving is about please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit