2 Faced JWs and Thanksgiving

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, these same people would say that it's wrong to celebrate Christmas but ok to give gifts the day before or after.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“SafeAtHome”: “I know they would bring up pagan connections with Christmas and Easter, but what would be the argument about Thanksgiving or Mother's Day or Father's Day...days that don't have a religious celebration connected with them.”

The real truth is that the GB of the WTS doesn’t so much care about religious or pagan origins of things, but what they do have a problem with is anything – such as a person’s birthday or Mother’s/Father’s Day – that they see as elevating an individual on a pedestal, even for one day. No, the GB would rather everyone do that for themselves every day. (I’m just waiting till they come out with GB bobbleheads for their followers to put on their car dashboards.)

• minimus
    minimus

Only the gb can put themselves on a pedestal because only they are the fds.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

As the UBM, I was a convenient excuse for having Thanksgiving a big dinner. I bought the bird, and I prepared it and the pumpkin pies (though she did the dressing, potatoes, side dishes etc.). Just don't utter the "T" word, and don't invite the relatives.

As usual, they are willing to "partake" of the superficial holiday trappings, so long as they deny any and all spiritual meaning for the occasion. They can be the most sort of worldly people during the holidays!

• minimus
    minimus

To any of my JW friends out there, don't forget, after the dinner, you still have a meeting to go to.

• kairos
    kairos

It's not OK to have Thanksgiving, but being a member of the UN for ten years gets a PASS?

That makes sense...

Stupid Watchtower.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thanksgiving has been a conflicted holiday. I remember having turkey at my brother's house then going to school or work and people would ask "How was your Thanksgiving Holiday?" I'd think, "did I celebrate Thanksgiving?" What a ridiculous waste of energy.

An elder's wife texted me if I had plans today. I said yes, my friends are cooking (only 1 remaining JW, the host), all I have to do is bring wine. She actually said everybody was busy today so they are "doing it on Saturday." Okaaay. And the CO is coming over on Friday. Okaaay.

Everyone does what they want.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They have nothing to be thankful for.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Witness...you have an excellent point. Never thought of that.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Minimus, they aren't celebrating Christmas...it just happens to be Family Day! Presents for everyone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit