Dateline---That was It?

by Lindy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

plmkrzy - I hardly think that was a fair comment. Ritual abuse does exist. 'Grooming children for sex' does exist. And your comment is comparable to someone visiting this site and not believing a certain post and then saying nothing here is to be taken seriously.

Dateline did an excellent job. If you're going to pick out posters on the Silentlambs site - pick one of the ones that say 'yer all apostates or this site is run by Satan'.

Please don't judge someone's experience from a single post.

hugs,
    Mimilly

• TexSham
    TexSham

"this rule MUST logically create a huge sex abuse problem"

This is the problem.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    If there are enough who speak up and demand to be acknowledged, the WTBTS and the JWs will be forced to look at what is happening. Those JWs with good hearts will hopefully be moved to action.

I whole heartedly agree with what Redhorsewoman said, and I would like to add to that if she doesn't mind.

I finally saw the episode of Dateline, with a few friends who are not nor have ever been JW's.
    I was pleased to see how Bill and Barbara and Erica handled themselves in thier interviews. I thought the show went over rather well. There was no exagerated retoric going on and they carried themselves well.

These are the testimonies of victims that will carry the most weight and be recognized. The more time spent focusing on the problems within the WTS with attitudes like these the better the chances will be of having enough of an effect on the WTS to bring about change in the right direction.
    As long as the real victims continue to be heard and not overshadowed and trumped by a flood of foolish retoric that does nothing but cause real victims to be discredited. That is also something that happens all the time and is very real.
    The quickest way to discredit real person is to surround him/her with wacko's so they aren't even seen anylonger. That happens all the time and that is a reality in the real world.
    If there was a way to keep that from happening I would.

[email protected]

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    One half hour is all it got and on top of everything the last thing said was that all these ones involved were looking at a possible disfellowshipping.

Good for you for wanting to "buck the concensus". But bear in mind that 30 minutes of airtime on what is currently the network that's #1 in the ratings, in PRIMETIME is quite a coup. And, the last thing said by Stone Phillips was that those facing expulsion (or who already have been expelled) were suing the WT and the local congregation elders. It was very well done, for mainstream media. Considering the tremendous amount of information that had to sifted through in order to get this story done in a timely fashion, the producers at Dateline did an admirable job. Whatever satifaction you're seeking concerning this issue isn't just going to fall in your lap - but this show was a great start!

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Plm,

As long as the real victims continue to be heard and not overshadowed and trumped by a flood of foolish retoric that does nothing but cause real victims to be discredited. That is also something that happens all the time and is very real.

The quickest way to discredit real person is to surround him/her with wacko's so they aren't even seen anylonger. That happens all the time and that is a reality in the real world. -plm

Agreed, that is the real world. Some of those "wacko's" were wacked by licensed therapists, helping religious persons, and even police. Some people don't know what exactly to believe as it all seems real in their mind.

Btw, some wacko's might be schizo, bi-polar, ect., and just have the dumb luck of being raped too.

If people are too ignorant to read the cognizant posts along with the "wacko's" on a tortuous worldwide situation - then I would assume that they're not only ignorant, but intolerant & closed minded as well. To them? They'll just have to find their own way out or stay a prisoner.

No matter what side of the argument you're on, there'll always be those on your side that you wish weren't. author unknown

The mention of "ritual abuse" is the killer. Many persons will throw out the whole account - ie, the girl was never even raped - if that's mentioned. Some don't stop to realize that part of the account could still have happened - she could have been raped. And I do see that at other parts of the victim's statement could be true - children sometimes are groomed for sex, are raped, and molesters can use guns to terrify easily. It works - my father's favorite was his Navy issue "bouie" long knife.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit