How does forum moderation work?

by Simon 18 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

We've had a few comments lately that show that people don't seem to fully comprehend the way moderation works or the point of it.

If someone point something that other people don't like or agree with then that is a difference of opinion. Live with it.

If someone posts something that is crude, insulting, contains bad language etc. then it violates the posting guildelines and can and should be removed.

Now, sometimes we won't immediately notice a post that should be removed. If that is the case then there are two choices - people can either alert us to the issue (a PM is good) or they can quote the post and make comments on the topic, thus drawing attention to the content even more. These will typically contain complaints such as:

"Why is this allowed ?!?!"

Now if we delete the unwanted content (as people surely want) then we also have to delete the comments about it which otherwise make no sense out of context and also mean that, duh, the content is still there, just against someone elses name. After we do that though, what do we get?

"Why have things been removed ?!?!"

Really? I wish people would decide what they want - going back in time and preventing a post being made is not an option.

Either things are posted and allowed (live with it) or they are removed (live with it). We're not going to have complaints to have things removed and then complaints when they are.

We can't both retain AND remove something. If some just want to have a go at us for something someone else posted and then have a go at us for removing it then maybe they have a different agenda which is why they are unhappy whatever happens. Maybe those people should question what their motives are inposting what they do.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Understood, thanks Simon. I pm'd you and made comments to the poster. You dealt with it well. Great job. Kate xx

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Hey you can't please everybody Simon. I say don't sweat it and do what you think is best.

I appreciate this forum and have enjoyed having it available.

-TE

• suavojr
    suavojr

Dealing with people is not an easy task. Just remember people, 'we are slaves of the words we say or type" so think twice before posting and we should all be fine.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All too true--offend no one, please no one.

• Simon
    Simon

I think I've mastered the 'please no one' part :D

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We appreciate your work Simon!

Thankyou for both creating and maintaining this forum!

• rosyray
    rosyray

I am still relatively new to being a more active participant, so I am still learning how everything works around here. Just wanted to chime in and also say

Thank you Simon for "creating and maintaining this forum!"

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This is an excellent forum. The rules are very clear and sensible. Moderating takes time. When you deal with the public, in any capacity, there will always be trouble-makers seeking attention.

You can take a horse to water - but it will always stink!

Please keep up the good work Simon.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have never had a problem with how this site is run. I could never have the patience and goodwill Simon and others show. I would only volunteer to be a mod if there was an annihilate button!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit