Steven Hassan was cut from Dateline

by DevonMcBride 37 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I received the following e-mail from Steven Hassan. It seems that he landed on the cutting floor at Dateline

Devon

I got a telephone call from the producer of Dateline telling me that my
    interview had to be cut (so there is no longer any cult /mind control angle
    to the story). This is particularly infuriating since I met with the
    producer and the executive producer a year ago and received personal
    assurances that I would be the ³cult expert² when I brought them the story.
    Of course, they also promised that they would run the story in timely way.
    With 9/11 everything got pushed back, I was told.

Another example of how media betrayal. Anyway, I hope the story helps alert
    people to the horror of the Watchtower Society policies and the courage of
    people like Bill Bowen at silentlambs.org.

Steve Hassan

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Oh man that sucks. I was really hoping THAT part of the segment would NOT get cut. Steve's expertise is so important to this whole issue.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Did Steven say why he was cut? CAn we find out why............

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not to minimise hassan, but it might be better, because it allows the program to focus on one idea instead of bringing in a second one as well. People will be able to see more clearly the wt pedo issue, without the cult issue. That's my theory, anyway.

SS

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

media betrayal?..sounds like, "if they dont accept my view everyone else is wrong"- this cat needs to get over himself.

• Xander
    Xander

Cause Dateline got a big, fat check from the WTBTS and so are re-editing the interviews to create a pro-WTBTS piece?

Calm down, people. I'm sure if Dateline felt his part was critical to the story, they would have kept it. They do this for a living, remember?

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Well that sucks!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I remind this board that just to get on PRIME TIME TV is a HUGE feet.

These press people are interested in one angle - ratings and they will jerk you around - I know and so do others on this board. NBC needs their (not your's, their) story to be interesting to them and their audience.

Yes this story will not be as great as YOU may think BUT you are getting press and I assure you, OTHER people watching this show will be stunned.

There are many other things on the go folks. You are way ahead of just 2 years ago.

Be patient.

hawk

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

That really a shame. Steven's input would be welcome. If you want more info on his new book, etc., check this out:
    http://www.freeminds.org/sales/releasing_the_bonds.htm
    Randy

Net Soup!
    http://www.freeminds.org

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

I hope that I'm wrong, BUT I get the feeling that Dateline is going to be as big a disappointment as was Sixty Minutes.

First, the .... delay ... .

Then, televised during Book Study times for half of North America.

Now, we learn that the airtime has been "sliced and diced" to 1/2 of what had been indicated, with Hassan deleted entirely.

Look closely at Dateline's ad:

Dateline NBC investigates allegations that Jehovah's Witness members have covered up cases of child molestation in the Church. Dateline Correspondent John Larson talked to former and current Jehovah's Witnesses who say that Church elders protected the alleged molesters and kept secrets that might have put children at risk.
    From the first time I read this, I have suspected that NBC was going to edit this Program in such a way that blame is shifted away from the WTS, and placed on the backs of a "few irresponsible local Elder Bodies". I wouldn't be surprised if NBC even has included material showing that the WTS has given such Elders "proper instructions and training", such that the WTS comes out of this with "clean hands".

When an organization arrogates to itself un-Scriptural powers and authorities and then threatens people who do not submit to it with un-Scriptural punishment, then that organization becomes a racket. --Fred Franz (1943)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit