Those who vote, do you stay loyal to your party?

by EndofMysteries 15 Replies latest social current

• hassan73
    hassan73

Since I've been voting I vote Democratic, but pay very close attention to each candidate running for office and make an informed decision. I have to say I'm glad my voice is heard for so long I gave up my right to be heard by not voting.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Direct democracy has not been in the Western tradition with the exception of small cities and towns. The Western mode is representative democracy. When I view the ignorance and miseducation of the American public, I am very grateful for representative democracy. Our Constitution and our laws would have to change drastically. The Founders did not adore the rabble. Students for a Democratic Society used to tout what they termed "participatory democracy" during the sixties. I found it interesting b/c SDS lacked any democracy at all. Leaders emerged through shouting and being rude.

I would like to hear how direct democracy could be implemented today in large cities and at the state and federal level. Living in a small town for a while proved me that direct democracy may be a bad thing. I wonder if there has ever been such a political as direct democracy. TED talks take too much time to view. Reading is much faster.

Also, I believe direct democracy would end in mob rule. The minorities would be wiped out. More citizens participating in government, however, would be a great idea. I heard a sampling of potential voters who will not vote b/c of apathy and cynicism. A direct democracy might draw a dangerous crowd.

• designs
    designs

SDS got infiltrated by the government, a shame, peaceful means of protest turned into violent means to protest under these agents. My wife was SDS.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've crossed party lines to vote for a high public official with seniority in the Senate. Also, NYC deteriorated so much under a Democratic mayor that a Republican, Mayor Guiliani, was elected despite being a Republican. Mike Bloomberg was also elected as a Republican candidate. He was a Dem but changed parties to be elected. The regular Dems were fielding very poor candidates for mayor.

• Londo111
    Londo111

No party really represents me. In the US, there is only Republican and Republican-Lite. To be sure, the current president is the best Republican in that office for quite some time.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Band on the Run: Leaders emerged through shouting and being rude.

Haha! Sounds like the www !!!

Read the comments attached to any thoughtful essay on line, and the sheer bastardary of the posters makes you long for non-democracy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit