My Muslim friend's and the Koran.

by new hope and happiness 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Nice people doesn't mean their religion is nice or above critisism.

Perfectly stated!

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

People have the RIGHT to believe what they want to believe. I have Catholic friends, Protestant, Jewish and yes...Muslim. I don't care what they believe, nor do I expect them to try to justify their beliefs. In the end, I have chosen friends with whom I share common interests NOT common beliefs.

• humbled
    humbled

SOP,

I do agree in principle with you. But I know that Muslims currently are troubled by some of the attitudes that waft their way due to the actions of fellow Muslims. The 9/11 attack was a life changer for many Muslims even here in Arkansas.

If the Quran has mandates for rotten treatment of sinners and nonmuslims--violent repression etc. then it might be enlightened self interest and not a terrible thing for our Muslim friends to find non-threatening entry to topic that allow discussion.

You know, if Muslims are too afraid or are simply oblivious, they will not engage. But TTATT was relevant for you and me--so it may be for them.

We do not have to assault their religion--but it may be comforting to examine the various reasons we left the WTBTS --one reason being that we now can associate with Muslims without trying to convert them!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

This can become to controversial for my O.P...

But i love " Tommy Cooper" and his jokes were often at womens exspense.

Tommy Cooper: " My wife is a magigian- yesterday she turned our car into a tree"

Yes in the 1970s women driving a car in England was " women drivers"

So yes it is wrong a muslim woman was recently sentenced to 40 lashes for driving a car in a Muslim land.

But the sentence was over turned...due to the fact " individual muslims" stood up against the sentence.

Where were we and the treatment of women in England in the 40s 50s 60s 70s ect. Where were we as a cpuntry ( England) in supporting equality between the sexes in the 1990s...and why are our law books so good and without fault today?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sorry, humbled, I obviously didn't know that you had that problem.

I should sometimes think more before I type.

I really am sorry.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Oh yes, I agree with you humbled caution is the word here.

JWs can and do disfellowship, shun, and disinherit 'apostates'. This is bad but it's nothing compared to what some muslims do to apostates.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

As difficult a read as it is for the non-muslim, I have read the koran. I got it from an information table at the mall, Yes it was quite surreal as I thought it was a JW table at first. I was intrigued by all the similarities between it and the Old Testament. In many respects, they follow parallel paths up until Ishmael as far as lineage go. It is replete with directives against the infidel, but so is the Old Testament.

As may of the Jewish faith do not subscribe to the tenets of ancient Judaism, so, the moderate Muslim may not subscribe to the actual interpretation of the Koran. There is a defined conflict between the moderate and the radical. Those with whom I have spoken are similar to JW's in a certain respect, namely, that they find it difficult to speak against the radical side due to fear of reprisals. Sounds quite similar to many on this forum.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Why do the people you disagree with make great posts?

Because this board does not forbid individual expression.

Hello Islam i left J.W and and looking for a place i have less individual expression....

Lets respect " Allah" " and at least half the prisoners in prison in Pakistan. ( the other half are women)

Oh women and troucers in the K.H...women and " teaching" in the K.H.

Lets not forget where we came from....

• cofty
    cofty

This forum has been racist of late - BOTR

Muslims come from a wide variety of racial origins. I detest Islam - everybody who cares about human rights ought to detest Islam. I am NOT a racist.

For a lawyer you seem to struggle with clear thinking.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The Koran contains 6,360 verses, collected in 114 suras, or chapters I think both " Cofty and Band on the Run" will agree thats a lot of legal blah, blah.

May i add on a legal point the Koran states that if someone needs witnessses for a legal matter, he has to find TWO men. " but if two men cannot be found, then one man snd two women"

So as a laywer i would say Islan views women as half the value as a man.

What value are women given in J.W land?

What value were women given in England in the 1940s, 50s 60s 70s 80s ect ...

My moderate muslim friends seem to have equal respect between husband and wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit