My Muslim friend's and the Koran.

by new hope and happiness 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

In another thread i raised the point " There are moderate Muslims but their is no moderate Islam"

Now i must face the fact i have Muslim friends who say they believe the Koran.

Well i have asked these Muslim friends, if they have investigated the origins of the Koran. They have answerd " YES"

Now my Muslim friends are not liers.

My reply has been, but Islam considers it blasphemy, punnishable by death, to investigate the origin of the Koran.

Yes my Muslim friends are like J.Ws they are meant to believe without doubt, or discussion.

Now i assume my Muslim friends are moderate, and dont believe the book was written before the beginning of time by Allah himself.

So my moderate Muslim friends claim to have investigated the Koran, i assume has been done without depth.

My question is if my moderate Muslim friends are not a threat to defending our civilizationto against Islam, why should i require of them a more indepth and truthful answer to their study of the " Koran"?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NH&H -My question is if my moderate Muslim friends are not a threat to defending our civilizationto against Islam, why should i require of them a more indepth and truthful answer to their study of the " Koran"?

What makes you think you NEED to quiz them? No one person can answer for a host of individuals............same as the JWs really, all different, just share the same delusion.

Perhaps I'm being a little dim here....................it comes with age

I am a little confused.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@nhah

Be very, very careful.

Your moderate muslim friends might tell one of their more 'zealous' friends all about their chats with you.

If I were you, I'd forget all about it and just smile, nod politely, and change the subject.

Your health and life are worth more than any muslim's beliefs.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

No that is a fair question Punk.

One of my friends started saying " peace be upon his name" in conversation, so the subject came up.

On anothet ocassion it was about " Pork" Just harmless conversation that bought " belives up"

I myself am a " vegie" but i eat fish. ( hypocrite to many veggies) we label to much)

But i have also been with a Muslim friend who kindly invited me to a home . They were reading the Koran as a group. The next time i saw him i felt it fair to ask him about his knowledge on the Koran.

Now as for myself i dont like discussing religion. But i have a child and as a parent i allow him to associate with other kids. I also feel this responsibility extends to what other patents teach children.

In linköping where i live we have had issues with Islamic exstremisam, as we have with those who promote equality between the sexes.

I am comfortable with my child being with same sex families. I am not comfortable with my child associating with parents who take " Holy Books" as the word of God.

In my community, i have seen teenage children embrassing " Islam" in a negative way.

My boy is nine and is friends with children whose older brothers attitude to religion worries me. The parents of the family do not share the older childrens view point. I think the parents should be aware that their teenage child is taking on views which are opposed to the good of our community.

When my boy associated with a young child whose brother was in a gang i stopped the friendship. Glad i did his elder brother was involved in a shooting.( and i am not saying i did the right thing, stopping the association,)

Punk the main thesis of Mein Kampf is simple, the main thread of raising a child is harder. Right or wrong i question ( quix) what the attitude of parents to my boy is. ( Sorry i do sound hard and judgemental)

But fact is if my kid is with J.Ws children i am aware of the parents attitue to my kid. ( that's why i could respect we did not knock on those doors for " goodies or tricks on Halloween"

When people claim to worship a book that " marks" me for death it is sensible to investigate the strength of that friendship.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Now as for myself i dont like discussing religion.

Probably the best way.

No matter how you bring your kids up they'll do what the hell they want.

I tried to bring my kids up to be decent citizens and failed miserably.

You can lead a horse to water and all that stuff........

• designs
    designs

I worked with a Iranian man who was raised Muslim and only celebrated Ramadan in word not deed. He knew of the fear the religion holds on people. He had family in Iran and his letters home had to be very simple- hi mom how's it going stuff because under the theocratic regime letters were censored.

• humbled
    humbled

Be very, very careful Your moderate muslim friends might tell one of their more 'zealous' friends all about their chats with you.

If I were you, I'd forget all about it and just smile, nod politely. and change the subject.

Your health and life are worth more than any muslim's belief.--LUHE

Didn't we hate this about the Borg---the fear of reasonable discussion with friends? The mistrust that governs repressive religion requires a measure of our own complicity, doesn't it?

How can anyone on the board who is terrified of Islam simply smile, nod politely and change the subject? And if it turns out to be the preferred way to deal with our dread of living under a caliphate, how is it that born-in muslims are condemned for not complaining of ISIS militants or sharia law?

Of all people, the ex-dubs can share our cautionary tale of the insidious effects of a "peaceful" religion that violates conscience, family relations, love, spiritual privacy, genuine neighborliness, women's rights, educational opportunities--you name it.

In other words, if we haven't fully realized the value of our freedom as ex-JWs, then now is the time to reflect on it. We can mine the threads on this forum for excepts of the thorny problems we face when we try to reconcile old writings with present realities.

We are fairly safe in doing it now, too. When a Muslim is our friend they have already had the bravery to violate the Quran by befriending us, right? And we are NOT living in Saudi Arabia, right? So talk about the experience you had as a "Christian Witness of Jehovah"---I almost guarantee it will open the door to discussion.

• Heaven
    Heaven

A former Muslim colleague of mine said that scripture needed to be taken into context and viewed with an eye for the times. What was written back then is not necessarily valid in our present day. He is definitely 'a moderate Muslim'. And a great guy... he looked after his sick mother in law until her death.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Seriously, nhah, screw humbled. He/she can stick their advice right where the sun don't shine.

Although most muslims are peaceful and decent people they can be very volatile - Salman Rushdie went into hiding for writing the seemingly harmless and dull-as-ditchwater 'Satanic Verses'.

I'm advising you right now to leave this matter with your muslim friends well alone. Save it for JWN.

Please.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Hunböed:-

Why did you respond to " loveandhateexams" post in such a rude way?

It was a post with genuine love and concern for my well being.

Your post seemed an attack on " loveandhateexams" as an individual.

Sorry Humbled, but i think on debating sites we all have different minds.

it's a complete and utter mystery to me why we can't make a point without trashing other peoples point of view.

Now i am doing the same to you Humbled.....sorry.

When i post i imagine we are debating sharing an ice- cream on a hot summers day ( ok i know this will never happen)

Back to my O.P....which was?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit