HOW A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS participated in one of the great art FRAUDS of the 20th century

by Terry 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The only rule in art is " That it works"....sometimes you have to emblish art, just a little to make " it work"

• Terry
    Terry

Wow, I found the Mother Lode here on Kinkaide:

Thomas Kinkade Art Scandal Continues to Unfold

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:39 0

(Before It's News)

I recently saw this on the Huffpost. I have been active in the Los Gatos Patch discussing why the Kinkade estate would need a restraining order to protect the "Thomas Kinkade Studios' proprietary painting techniques". I smelled a skunk at the time and have always felt that Kinkade's work had that painting factory look to them.

HuffPost Arts

Our Favorite Reader Reactions To Thomas Kinkade's Life And Work

Posted: 05/11/2012 1:35 pm Updated: 05/11/2012 1:35 pm

Edward Goodwin: My mother-in-law was on a business trip to South Korea about 15 years ago, she was invited to join a group of Americans staying in the same hotel to visit the "Thomas Kinkade factory." That's what it is called. She knew who he was, of course. She went along thinking that it was a building he had been commissioned to decorate, or something of that nature. It wasn't. It is the factory that produces Thomas Kinkade art. Mr Kinkade would create a template very much like a paint-by numbers set. Each color or mixture of colors would have an alpha-numeric code to prevent translation mix-ups. These codes would be printed on the template. The template would be printed on specially treated canvas and would roll down an assembly line. Young ladies, hired for their ability to paint lightly, yet rapidly, would sit along the conveyor belt. One woman did only clouds, another, only bushes, another, only tree trunks, another, brightly lit windows, and so on until the finished painting reached the end of the conveyor belt. Mr Kinkade never met the young women who actually painted his paintings. They were paid $45.00 dollars a day for a 14 hour day for paintings that Mr Kinkade would sell for ten grand. Why were they worth that much? Because Mr Kinkade "painted" his signature on to them when they arrived in America. Nice work…if you can get it.

So Kinkade was selling painting done by others in an assembly line for over 15 years and as his own originals for over $10,000 each. I foresee a huge lawsuit against the Kinkade estate for misrepresentation of product and hopefully criminal charges against corporate members who knew what was going on.

It would appear that the Thomas Kincade factory is still painting after he is gone. You can buy original Kinkade paintings, without the $10,000 signature, below for as little as $5.

http://artforestpainting.en.alibaba.com/search/product?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=thomas%20kinkade%20oil%20painting

I cannot believe that the Kinkade Company would have allowed this to go on unless they were in fact using these very paintings to defraud customers and charge upwards of $10k for these copies. Otherwise they would have screamed bloody murder to protect "Thomas Kinkade Studios' proprietary painting techniques". Their silence in this matter says it all, GUILTY!!

More and more evidence is mounting to support the claims that Kinkade and his companies sold mass produced oil paintings made in South Korea and/or China and sold them as Kindake originals. This is criminal activity and all parties involved could face substantial prison time if brought to trial. It is clearly time for the California State Attorney General's Office to look into this massive art fraud perpetrated by Windermere Holdings LLC and Pacific Metro LLC, also known as The Thomas Kinkade Company.

a PHOTO of Kinkaide's alleged "Last Will"

• sir82
    sir82

Unless you are an professional expert with decades of experience, NEVER buy "art" as an investment.

Buy what you like, for what you can afford. End. Of. Story.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The four Davids, by Michael Cartellone ( drummer in my favourite band LYNYRD SKYNYRD)

Anyway his four davids are " origional" and real art. Check it out on you tube.

• Terry
    Terry

I was in Art over 40 years. From 1974 to 1992 I was in the Art BUSINESS.

The stories I could tell would make a book. (One few would read :)

I can only give my experience and opinion based on hobnobbing with the lah-dee-dahs in that world.

The art world is divided by buyers who know art intimately and knowledgably separated by an enormous gulf on the

other end by people who "Don't know anything about art, but who know what they like."

Most of the fraud is perpetrated on people who gleefully "don't know anything about art."

But--not entirely!

I met more frauds, crooks, flim-flam artists than genuine artists.

Many of those were ACTUAL artists!

The problem comes down to how easy it is for certain people to dupe others.

There is considerable money to be made (or ONCE WAS) from the "know-nothings"who are easy marks.

I knew of a reputable dealer who bought 250 pieces of blank, hand-made, acid-free etching paper from Salvador Dali's personal

rep with only Dali's SIGNATURE on them.

Why?

The dealer could get a talented atelier to run off lithos of Dali's earlier paintings . . . AS lithos and sell them as limited editions signed

by the Master himself!

Incidentally, the master artists use actual flat-stone litho and not printing press style dot-matrix lithographs.

I once answered an ad for this 'reputable dealer' who promised me a 15% commission if I could sell the "original" Dali lithos.

I asked if I could take a sample of the work with me for a few days before I accepted the job.

The dealer agreed.

I showed them to an actor (and Dali expert) Alan Rich.

Rich stared at the signatures for about ten seconds without blinking.

He immediately spat out the words, "Pathetic forgery!"

As it turned out, Dali's art agent was the fraud having faked the signature after Dali (his client) had

gone entirely senile and reneged on paying money owed. This was his form of self-justice!

Ahhh the stories I could tell!

I was working in an Art Gallery (Billy Hork Galleries) in Beverly Hills for awhile.

Celebrities came in often.

I sold a set of paintings (triptych) to Donald Sutherland who returned them a week later saying,

"The voices told me they aren't right." Do I know if he was shitin' me? No.

Jon Voigt and I had a long chat the day after he was a presenter on the Academy Awards.

Voigt is the same height as I am and, at the time, was pretty darned skinny in person. He was a very

affable and natural person without any pretenses.

I sold Ron Howard a miniature of a scrawny bird painted by an Amish painter. He and his wife were together.

I said something which made him laugh. His wife giggled.

John Travolta and Marilu Henner came in together one evening. Travolta was eating ice cream. He was followed by about

fifty people pretending they were NOT following him!

Yes--I kid you not. These were people acting too-cool-to-be-excited about movie stars, but who WERE excited enough

to be following them everywhere they went!

I asked Travolta if he and Marilu wanted to go out the back way.

He grinned and told me, "Nah--we're having fun with it."

for my staircase."

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Terry:- "art is the spider on the wall"

If said by me, its not art.

But as Piccasso said it, its art.

Terry check out Michael Cartellone ( the skynyrd drummer) " 4 Davids"on you tube. Their is a difference betwwen fraud and origional art.

• tinker
    tinker

I had a set of JW Greeting Cards with Margeret Keene images and scriptures inside re Get Well, Have a Nice Day, ect. All the Big Eyed children playing in the New Order. Big Eyed sea creatures and lions, tigers and bears, all Big Eyes. I loved them so much I never sent them to anybody thinking one day I would frame them....hum, wonder where I put those?

• Terry
    Terry

When you lead a person who wants to buy original art into buying mass produced art, you are on the threshold of fraud

unless you explain carefully exactly what it is they will own.

Where most people got ripped off by art was this way.

1. Being told the art "would appreciate" and become worth "more" the longer the buyer held on to it. This is not a claim

which any art dealer can make factually. This is easily provable. I had many a buyer ask me if we (the Art Gallery itself)

would buy back the art in the future. I explained why the answer was "no." I carefully described the phenomena this way:

"If anybody knew for certain this art would go up in value--why in the world would we let go of it in the first place?

We are in the RETAIL art business. The gamble is yours. We buy low and sell high. We don't buy after art becomes high."

2. Failure to explain definitively what ORIGINAL actually means.

A multiple image etching or litho pulled one at a time in an atelier is virtually hand-made duplicates of the image itself (contained in the

etching plate by scratches done by the artist--OR--on the litho stone drawn by crayon by the artist.) Each and every MULTIPLE is an original because---

the images don't BECOME ART until they transfer to paper, are examined and proofed by the artist and signed/numbered as an edition.

3. Failure to explain what LIMITED EDITION will mean for a PARTICULAR studio and a PARTICULAR run of art image.

Example: a Ltd Ed of 250 etchings which is truly LIMITED will result in that etching plate being SCRATCHED and DEFACED at the end of the edition so

no FURTHER images can be pulled. However . . . the artist may well ALSO photograph the etching and reproduce it as a photo-litho edition as well.

4. Just because a painting is painted does not gurantee ANY value whatsover. Value is imputed by the market. It can be ASSIGNED a virtual VALUE, but

that is merely an ASKING price. When art is INSURED, the replacement value is what is considered. This can be manipulated by an out-sized RETAIL price. The actual "value" is the materials (wood frame, canvas, stretcher bar, nails, liner, etc.)

5. Just because an artist dies it does NOT mean the VALUE of any purchased artwork by that artist GOES UP AUTOMATICALLY in VALUE.

When I worked at TRIANGLE INDUSTRIES Art company, we had artists who designed "original paintings."

The names of the artists were fabricated along with extensive and colorfully dramatic biographies. The company certified

with concocted "certificates of authenticity" purporting to guarentee the reality of the art, the artist and the limit. ALL OF IT WAS BOGUS!

When Norman Rockwell died--the market for his artwork CRASHED and BURNED. Why? All the collectors wanted to SELL! There were

no buyers---only sellers!

• Terry
    Terry

Terry check out Michael Cartellone ( the skynyrd drummer) " 4 Davids"on you tube. There is a difference betwwen fraud and origional art.

Carellone has made it crystal clear what his intention was/is and that leaves nobody in doubt who painted what or why.

Here is an interesting philosophical question I would pose.

"What if he created four songs which duplicated (as closely as the painting) the work and style of 4 actual songwriters?"

Would the world of music be as generous and forgiving?

Would copying Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Johnny Cash, and Billy Joel go down as 'original' and artistic? Or--would it simply

be seen as a gimmick and a cover-version?

Did you know that in California, each time you sell an original piece of Art, a cut (percentage) of the sale price must go to the

ARTIST (original)? The legal theory is regarded as the same as an originator of a musical creation. THE ARTIST WHO ORIGINATES

is embodied within the INTRINSIC value itself.

• Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit