which book says it?

by sowhatnow 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

my mom seems to railroad me into a debate at least once a week.

anyway long story short,

she says 'there is no where in the literture that the wt writers claimed that a specfic year it was going to be armageddon.

well i thought there was, and id like to print it or show it to her, i have some older books but not many.

so, is there? i told her that the wt claimed that 1975 was going to be the end, she said no, they said that was the beginning of the tribulation.

wow, she forgot about the most recent article ablout that already!

anyway help anyone?

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

sorry for my mis spelling im tired

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/failed-1914-predictions.php

one thing to keep in mind. JWs for many years will promote ideas that are not ever put in print. 1975 is the best example. If you lived through 1975 you know that talk after talk around the world promoted that 1975 was going to be the year. They never actually printed that statement though. JWs then can go back and say that it never happened because it wasn't in print, especially those that didn't live through it. You're embarking on a pointless journey in my opinion. No matter what you show her, she will have a retort or excuse.

• Listener
    Listener

If your mother thaught and still thinks that the GT started in 1975 I'd give up talking to her about anything related to JWs.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

The WT did state the preaching work would wrap up by the end of the 20th century. That's supposed so be one of the things that marks the start of the great tribulation and all that other end of the world shit.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

somehow i can be talking to my mother about a tossed salad and somehow she ends up preachng at me.

i dont bring anything about religion up and yet she 'spins' it in that direction. shes 72. shes done no research even using the jw publications.

shes so coufused she makes me chucle, things paul said she claims jesus said. and shes so sure, but she wont look it up.

• Magnum
    Magnum

See "The Nations Shall Know that I Am Jehovah" - How? page 216, paragraph 9. It says "Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin." I think the book was published in 1971. It clearly states that the end would come before the twentieth century was over. There are many other similar printed statements.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that the date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures, it will prove; Firstly, that at that date the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, Thy Kingdom come, will obtain full, universal control, and that it will then be set up, or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions." (The Time Is At Hand, 1888, p. 76, 77)

"Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878, and that the 'battle of the great day of God Almighty (Rev. 16:14) which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced. The gathering of the armies is plainly visible from the standpoint of God's word." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, The Time Is At Hand, 1889 Ed., p. 101. The 1915 Edition of this texts changed "A.D. 1914" to read 'A.D. 1915')

1889: "In the coming 26 years [1914/1915] , all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved." (C.T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 98-99, 1889)

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."-Matt. 24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15

--

"Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfilment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time." Awake! 1974 Nov 8 p.11

"Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end." Kingdom Ministry May 1974 p.3 How Are You Using Your Life?

-

1953: "After almost six thousand years of human sorrow, suffering and death, at last permanent relief is near at hand and will be realized within this generation." (New Heavens And A New Earth; 1953; p. 7)

-

1968 "The immediate future is certain to be filled with climatic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these last days will undergo fulfilment resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ's glorious 1000 year reign!" (Watchtower, 5/1/1968, p.272)

-

1968 "'Adam Created At Close Of 'Sixth Day' Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then ? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the Sabbath-like thousand-year reign of Christ....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.'(Watchtower, Aug. 15, 1968, p499)

-

Ironically, WT makes this comment, not realizing they are condemning themselves:

1968: "True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end" to the world, even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them.'' (Awake, Oct. 8, 1968)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Great post Shirley I too first thought about the "Time at hand'' book...Also the first Revelation climax printing stated the end would come before the 20th century was over as well as a 1989 wt

• Splash
    Splash

Before you show her anything ask her what difference it would make to her - what would she do differently.

When she says it would make no difference, just tell her that she has given up thinking for herself so there's no point in showing her anything or discussing anything.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit