University Application Personal Statement dilemma - Should I mention my jw past?

by will-be-apostate 38 Replies latest jw friends

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Yeah, you guys are right. Balaamsass2, yours is a positive experience indeed.

It's not like I don't have any other things to mention: I did a year petroleum engineering - that must be appealing, I help those who have difficulties learning math and chemistry in high school, I'm gonna do work shadowing at a dairy plant next week but that's all.

Snare, what did you include in your PS that made you stand out from the rest of the applicants?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It's called a PERSONAL statement, so make sure they remember you when they are done and 1000 applications have been read.

Mine started with me describing the incident that led to me applying for medicsl school. I ended the PS with a quote. Aa for the meat of it, I filled it with all the things I knew they have to see in a PS for it to go into the yes pile. Voluntary work and a reflection on it. Evidence of commitment to the topic. Mersonal reasons for wanting to do medicine. My extra curricular acitivities that indicate a balanced life style with skills that were positive for my degree.

In medicine, voluntary work is vital, so I named the doctors i worked under, where i worked, what i learned etc etc. I went and worked at international sports events, I worked for a charity, i shadowed doctors.

Explaining my youth and path to application aged 27 wasn't as easy. I did not discuss the Watchtower organisation at all. I focused on how well I had improved in academic ability from age 16 to the exams I took age 26. In the interview, I was asked why I had such a huge chasm of difference in ability. Can you imagine me trying to explain my desire to pioneer at aged 15 with contempt for Satan's system and the futile world of academia? How would I put into context the illustration a C.O. once gave when discussing education and careers, he compared any effort in this regard as "polishing the brass on a sinking ship." That perspective and illustration dominated so many desicions and feelings towards my schooling and career. The image I formed in my head when I heard that sentence, remains. I was wholly convinced armageddon was 'around the corner'.

So no...... I didn't go there, I said I didn't spply myself when younger.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was just talking to a professor who interviews applicants to a science-based program. He is just astonished that people mention religion in their application for the reasons mentioned in the OP.

Personally...I would not mention it in a written application. If you must explain a job gap or something like that, talk about volunteering for an international organization that provided training and opportunities to practice public speaking. They'll think you mean Toastmasters. lol.

Then during the interview, if their questions would make you seem awkward and evasive if you don't answer directly, say something like, "I was raised in a fundamentalist religion that focuses on public speaking as a major part of its ministry. As a scientific thinker, I did not believe the doctrine even then. When I was old enough to choose for myself, I left that group."

I don't see why you'd have to name what religion.

Don't linger on it too long--just provide a short explanation and then don't ruminate on it. Otherwise it's going to seem more important than it is.

Good luck.

• Simon
    Simon

I think if you need to mention it to explain a gap then you can do it in a way that you are slightly embarrassed but not ashamed of it.

No one has complete control of their upbringing and we are who we are and where we are. We don't need to be singing things from the rooftops but neither should we feel the need to be ashamed.

In my experience if you start with "this is slightly embarrassing but I was raised ..." people are normally sympathetic and there is a certain kudos to outgrowing your programming.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

snare I see your point. Regarding how personal the personal statement needs to be, that is my main concern. I've written it already but it sounds too plain and general, it's like a resumé. I have no engaging life story that led me to choose chemical engineering.

@Rebel8, simon: I will rather mention that I am a freelance web designer, at least they will know I have programming skills which translates into problem solving capabilities.

• blondie
    blondie

It can be a problem for more than jws. I worked with an ex-priest whose background was in guidance counseling. For obvious reasons he was reluctant to reveal his status with the Catholic Church in a predominantly Catholic area (not the area he left the priesthood in). He did what you did, listing himself as a freelancer in the area of guidance counseling.

In the US it is against the law to ask someone's religious background for employment purposes.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

have you decided yet?

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Yes, I have. I didn't include it. I found other ways to point out my skills. Thank you for your help, I see now that it wasn't a good idea.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

What if they know Witnesses are tools..this could backfire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit