Growth From jw.org?

by EmptyInside 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• j dubb
    j dubb

I'm upset about those credit card machines at assemblies too. I remember in the Awake,in the Watching the World segment,they criticized the churches for doing that same thing.

I'm not phased as much about the credit card terminals. 97% of American currency only exists in digital form. Employers began refusing to issue paychecks a few years ago, only paying you on a debit card or direct deposit. People have now grown up having never written or handled a check. It was inevitable. I predict they will start accepting Paypal and Bitcoin next.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I look forward to JWFact' stats for the 'upsurge' after JW.org.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm not phased as much about the credit card terminals. 97% of American currency only exists in digital form. Employers began refusing to issue paychecks a few years ago, only paying you on a debit card or direct deposit. People have now grown up having never written or handled a check. It was inevitable. I predict they will start accepting Paypal and Bitcoin next.

I personally wouldn't have been phased by the credit card machines at assemblies and conventions IF I hadn't heard hundreds of times how greedy the churches of christendom were, and the presence of ATMs in some of their churches was presented as primary evidence of this. Actually, as a kid, I remember thinking to myself "is that really that bad? They're not forcing anyone to contribute, just making it more convenient for those that will anyway." But, no, again and again it was stressed that putting those machines in the church was akin to having the money changers in the temple. It put the emphasis on money, not on god and was often the very first thing that you see when you walk in.

What's the first thing you see when you walk into a convention/assembly hall now? A sister gaurding over a credit card machine. It's not so much the credit card machines, it's the hypocricy behind it. That was a big part of my resolving never to donate again, even while still asleep to TTATT.

Now, back on the main topic of the thread -

Since the WTS seems to be primarily emulating the Mormons these days (especially with jw.org clearly being inspired by lds.org) are there any meaningful growth stats to show how lds.org may have helped/hurt the mormons? Since they're a few years ahead with all that, that might provide some indication as to what effect jw.org will have. I did a couple searches, but wasn't able to find much information and don't have time to dive in too deep right now.

Personally, I think JW.org is primarily a tool to keep the R/F busy and keep up the facade of progress. There's constant mention that JW.org may be the fullfillment of Jesus' words that the good news will be preached in the entire inhabitted earth before the end. Obviously there's some significant holes in that logic, but since it's clearly designed to appeal to the 1st world, those in the 1st world take the internet foregranted and assume that it's available everywhere.

The statistics generated from the website are also great for their boasting of "Jehovah certainly is speeding up the work!" but comparing statistics generated from a website with real-world preaching stats is clearly flawed. I suspect a fair portion of the bible study requests are fake, or they'll lose interest by the time someone actually comes by. Of the ones that are 'real' I suspect a number are from ones that have some familiarity with the JWs, and are just looking for some basic information about the cult and will eventually lose interest. Many are probably immigrants looking for an easy way to learn the local language, and will drop the study once they've gotten what they need. Of those that are actually brought in by the web site, I suspect most will be of poor "quality" - poor, mentally unstable folks who will contribute only to the further dumbing-down of the cult, which will continue to help push thinking people out of the cult.

All in all, I'd bet jw.org will be a wash as far as generating growth, but it may be temporarily successful in distracting from the fact that it's 2014 and the WTS has yet to have a single prediction come true.

• steve2
    steve2

Sound observations joe! I agree with your 'take' on the credit card machines - especially their prominence at convention sites.

This really boils down to the organization's own oft-trumpeted condemnation of the churches of Christendom and their money-making ways and the organization positing itself as above all that. Well, they're not - nothing surprising about that - except their bald-headed hypocrisy.

• designs
    designs

Drove by my first KH with the new JW.ORG sign.....

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Well,according to my mother,lots of Bible studies and newly interested ones because of the promotion of the website. It is just growing,lol.

Why is that surprising? You expected them to say anything negative? if you read a paper in North Korea you would think you live in the most progressive and advanced country in the world. Thats how it works. Everythign is always good. Everything is always successfull. Take anything negative and sweep it under the rug and replace it with any positive news. The Watchtower society is a totalitarian religious regime, complete with a way to silence any dissenters.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The only real number IMHO that matter are the baptisms, which tell us how many actually dedicate their life to this silly little cult.

Unfortunately those only come out once a year so its kinda like watching paint dry.

Everything else is subject to inflation and speculation, as the OP's experience shows.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is a good reason for this growth. If the jokehovians are supposed to stream videos from the site while in field circus, each video stream counts as a visit. Obviously, to save battery life in the device, one would terminate the session after that door and start a new session upon getting to the next door--another visit. That alone would explain the increase in the number of visits the site is receiving. Plus, the number of visits from apostates seeking nothing more than to expose how blatantly stupid the religion is would count the same as a visit from someone who is seeking to join the religion.

Personally, I have found other sites far more productive. When I visit the jokehovian site, it is to note their blatant stupidity. When I visit APMEX, it is to check prices on items I intend to order, and frequently to buy items. Their global ranking is 15,000 (in the United Tyranny of Stupidity, it is in the lower 3,000's) by browsing sessions. But, the amount of value per session is far higher. I go there to check prices and to buy silver. There is almost never anything there to just make a mockery out of, or other videos to see how much worse it is through the whole site. And I am sure a lot of other people that visit the jokehovian site would visit several pages before deciding the religion is not for them. The jokehovians visit the site to do research on their talks or to prepare for calls, which involves visits to many pages.

Not to mention this forum. How many people get more information from here, regardless of page visits or browser sessions, than they get from the jokehovian site? Plenty. Just shows that mere page visits and browser sessions on your site mean nothing if people do not appreciate what the site has to offer or those using it are going door to door spreading it. How many people go door to door with devices trying to show people APMEX videos, from which they might stand to gain something of real value?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The only growth is in the area of GB Ego Development Program.

The growth of the GB's collective ego is through the roof!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit