UK Data Protection Act

by expatbrit 12 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

The address below (posted originally on H2O by ShariA) leads to a rather interesting page giving a suggested communique' to the WT to demand destruction of personal records that are being kept regarding yourself.

It is based upon the UK data protection act.

Anybody in the UK tried something like this? Did it work? What records does the society now keep on publishers, df'd and da'd. in blighty?

http://www.bigwig.net/knots/nightmares/data.htm

Also, I heard that congregations in the UK can no longer use the not a home forms (S8)provided by the society, as they contravene the above mentioned act. Can anyone confirm this?

Expatbrit

Edited by - expatbrit516 on 22 February 2001 19:11:52

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Expat,

I saw a letter posted on the web from the WTS in London and my parents confirmed some of the details. True, they don't use S8 forms. Publishers can make personal notes of interest and keep NH's on plain paper.

The congregation cannot fill out publisher record cards until the card has been signed by the publisher. I am not sure but I think the publisher has to be baptized. Otherwise unbaptized publisher's hours are grouped in a pool. I maybe wrong and the grouping of hours might be applied to minors i.e <18. They changed the rules about what gets written if someone is DF'd and I think they can't DF you unless you have signed your record card!

I only once saw anything that I found disturbing about a congregation member that was in writing. It was a letter from the congregation elders of a sister's former congregation. It informed the body of elders in my congregation of the number of times this sister had been DF'd. It was a pretty nasty letter. The PO must have circulated the letter and then gave it to me to read and file. I didn't know such things were filed, I destroyed the letter. I am sure the contents of the letter leaked to elder's wives and then to others. I wonder if the data protection act has curbed any of this sort of letter writing?

Thirdson

P.S. I just made Jr. member with this post!

Edited by - Thirdson on 22 February 2001 23:11:22

• Angharad
    Angharad

We've had some experience of this I'll get Simon to post the details later

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The DPA provides some new protection for anyone wanting to build a protective 'wall' between themselves and the Society who are now having to accomodate a whole new level of legislation.

This same legislation can be used for our own benefit. Withdraw consent from your local congregation/branch office/headquarters to hold information against you and you will effectively become a non-person.

It then becomes very difficult [not impossible] for action to be taken against you.

The following may prove interestin;

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following article appeared in The Herald on 19 January 2000. It was written by Sunila Jandial, of Shepherd & Wedderburn's Employment Law Unit.

Prepare for pitfalls of Data Protection Act
    TIME is running out for organ-isations which hold personal information about individuals but have yet to take appropriate steps to ensure their house is in order ahead of the Data Protection Act 1998 coming into force on March 1, 2000.

Although transitional provisions under the Act will mean that, in certain circumstances, full compliance will not be required until October, 2001, any company or organisation holding personal information about individuals should review its existing systems and procedures now to avoid contravening the new provisions.

The current law on data protection provides individuals with various rights and protections about their personal data. Under the new Act, existing provisions will be enhanced.

Generally, personal information about an individual should only be held or processed with that individual's consent, and the purposes for which it is held must be registered with the Data Protection Registrar. Information held must be accurate, up-to-date and not retained for longer than necessary.

Another change which is likely to have a significant impact is that the law will not only cover data held on computers but also in manual or paper form.

There are also new restrictions on transferring information abroad, and on the rights of individuals to access data held on them.

The 1998 Act introduces a new category of information called ''sensitive personal data'' which attracts a higher level of protection.

Such data is defined as inform-ation relating to racial or ethnicnorigins, political opinions, religious or other similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, commission or alleged commission of an offence, or proceedings or sentencing for any offence.

Many companies retain records of employees' sickness absence. This information would fall within the definition of sensitive personal data as relating to physical or mental health or condition.

If a company or organisation is holding information identified as being ''sensitive personal data,'' they must show that the individual concerned has given explicit consent to that information being held or processed. Alternatively, if they can show they have complied with one of the other conditions for holding this information; for example, the information has been made public by the individual or the holding or processing of the information is necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual who has not given consent, then they do not need to show they have the individual's explicit consent.

Companies should ensure all employees who deal with personal information are aware of the provisions of the Data Protection Act and the restrictions which apply. This could be achieved by offering some form of training.

In addition, organisations should carry out an audit of the information they hold to ensure they are complying with the Act. Any audit should include not only a review of information held but should also ensure consent has been obtained, where necessary, from the individuals concerned.

It would also be advisable for companies to have in place some form of policy to which their employees can refer if they have queries about any issue relating to data protection.

The danger of not addressing this issue of compliance with the law has been clearly highlighted in a recent case where an employee of Grampian Police was prosecuted for allowing improper access to the police computer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicolaou

http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• mark menser
    mark menser

I live in the UK and on one change of congregation the letter the elders sent contained some stuff which really upset me. It went on about supposed marriage problems even though my wife or myself never mentioned anything about our marriage to anyone and we both felt that what they had written was simply speculation. Just because I was not regular at meetings because of work pressures does not mean there are any marriage problems does it?

In future I would seriously consider trying to stop them from sending any info to the next congregation - other than perhaps the card. Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it? I am sure what they wrote last time was illegal under the data protection act.

I also signed the card. It is interesting that as far as I remember the UK card just authorizes them to keep a record of the field service data, whereas a card I signed in another EU country had a clause saying something like "plus any other info that the elders might find necesarry for my spiritual welfare" - that could be stretched to the limit and I don't believe it can be legal - especially when you consider the damage this info causes.

This has really affected me personally and I would be greatful for any ideas.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Mark,

If you move, get a friend to write to your old congregation requesting your record cards. It all depends on how dilligent your old secretary is at varifying the address of the supposed new secretary. Nowadays it is easy to create an authentic looking letterhead for a fake congregation. I have heard that some have done this and then quietly disappeared from JWdom.

Thirdson

P.S. Whereabouts in the UK are you located, if you can say.

• Simon
    Simon

We were having a lot of rumours and stuff being spread about us (by elders) so to try and get to the bototm of things I sent a letter asking for information about me under the data protection act:

Dear Brother
    As is my right under the Data Protection Act I would like to request:
    (a) Whether personal data relating to me or any member of my family is being held or processed.
    (b) A description of the data held, the purpose for which it is being held or processed and the recipients or classes of recipients to whom the information may be disclosed; and
    (c) A copy of the information held by the Data Controller and the source of that information.
    I would remind you that under the terms of the Data Protection Act, you have 40 days from the receipt of this letter to comply with my request.
    Please not that this is not a letter of disassociation and no attempt should be made to treat it as one. I am simply concerned about certain un-truths recently circulated about me within the congregation that have apparently originated from local elders and am determined to take some form of action on this matter to resolve the situation.

I didn't get any response from this initially, I guess they thought I wasn't serious - they also ignored another letter I sent at the same time making specific complaints about the behavious of one of the local elders. So I sent this:

Further to my letter of October 1999 requesting disclosure of information held about me under the terms of the Data Protection Act, which I receive an acknowledgement of but no response to, I would like to remind you that you were legally obliged to answer my request within 40 days but have apparently decided to ignore the law on this matter.
    I feel I have given you more than sufficient time to deal with my request and am giving notice that if I do not receive a satisfactory response to my request within the next 7 days I will be raising a formal complaint with the Data Protection Registrar.
    I would remind you that this is not a letter of disassociation and no attempt should be made to treat it as one.

Now I got a response!
    What is strange though is that I got two...first, elders came round with my report card which they showed me and told me that it was all they had, nothing more. I said that was fine but could I have it in writing. Doing this really scared them for some reason and I got a letter several days later saying that they did not have to comply with the data protection act until October 2001 (I assume because their records are papar based).
    Now, why would they do that unless they were lying and did actually have some records? Why not be happy to write saying that they did not have any?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Simon,

Of course they were lying. What you got in letter form was typical legalease from the Watchtower laywers. After you frigthened them and asked for a written reply the elders contacted the legal desk at Mill Hill. They advised what is done in such cases. It will be fun come October. They will have to have destroyed all the written information or hand it over. Guess what they will do?

Typical of the WTS, they don't comply with a law until absolutely necessary. They don't report sex offenders in US States where clergy requirement to report is not mandated. They don't set policies that go beyond the law. Which makes me wonder, at the Watchtower factories do they comply with local laws regarding pollution? I bet they don't set a standard that meets the strictist law and make it a rule in countries where laws are lax. I bet the Watchtower is no better than US companies that set up factories in Mexico to take advantage of lax laws on pollution. Does the Watchtower recycle waste product even if it more costly than dumping trash?

Prove me wrong, but the Watchtower org's policy is one of use the law to its own end and forget the rest because they are above the law.

Thirdson
    Thirdson

• nelly136
    nelly136

umm whats this report card thingy?
    I dont ever remember signing one of those either as a publisher or when I was dissed,
    nelly

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The Report Card Thingy

When a person is approved to be a publisher he/she can report their FS hours, placements, RV's etc. The congregation secretary fills out a pre-printed card with the publisher's details. It contains:

Name
    Address/telephone number
    Date of birth
    Date baptized
    Pioneer check box
    Annointed/Other Sheep Check boxes
    A table of months with a similar grid to the FS report form to record monthly hours, magazines placed etc.

When the elders get together to talk about you they will get this card out because this is the measure of your spirituality. (They will analyse the report card like this:

"Hmmmmm, does 9 hours a month and records 2 Bible studies. One must be with the kids so take away 4. That leaves 5 hours of which 4 is with the other study leaving 1 hour a month knocking doors. Not good enough!!!! Lets do a shepherding call."

Since it is an official form and subject to the Data Protection act the new forms (I Believe) have a publisher signature line. By signing it the publisher gives permission to the congregation to hold this information about them.

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit