The Electric Church Turns On!

by Atlantis 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The Electric Church Turns On. (Awake 1981, March 22, pp.5-8)

The Watchtower Society knows very well how much money can be made by Television Preaching. Please note the figures the Watchtower published back in 1981 in this Awake magazine. It is now October 2014, which makes this article almost 34 years old. The amount of money that can be made by todays standards by televangelists could make the figures from 1981 look pale.

The very same jokers who claimed the Watchtower never got in bed with the United Nations also said, that the Watchtower would never become televangelists! Yeah right!

. Quotes from the article, and the entire article is below:

The Electric Church Turns On

The Electric Church consists of TV preachers who buy their own air time and use it to get contributions with which they buy more air time, and so on. Of course, most TV stations are leery of selling time to a preacher who is only going to dun their viewers, so the preachers have elaborate ways of avoiding the appearance of asking for funds over the air.

What are some of these? They encourage their viewers to write in for a free pin or “prayer key,” at which point the viewers are put on a computerized mailing list, and then the hard sell begins. Or they offer a televised “counseling service,” and those who call for help are later contacted by mail. Computerized mailing has made the Electric Church a very profitable business. How profitable? Here are some typical figures:

Oral Roberts, former Pentecostal faith-healer, now somewhat toned down as a Methodist, $60,000,000 a year.

Jerry Falwell, Lynchburg, Virginia, Baptist with a strong political message, over $50,000,000 a year.

Pat Robertson started the first popular religious guest interview show and now has his own network broadcasting from his new $20,000,000 headquarters. His Christian Broadcasting Network took in $70,000,000 last year.

Jim Bakker, formerly associated with Robertson, has started his own guest show, and his network grosses $53,000,000 a year.

Rex Humbard, with his “Cathedral of Tomorrow” and its spectacular stage, takes in $25,000,000 or so.

The list goes on and on. All told, the top start of the Electric Church are able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to buy air time every year. Where do they get it? . Most of the people who watch the Electric Church are not rich. Benjamin L. Armstrong, who coined the term “Electric Church,” explains: “As part of the Electric Church concept, the listener is conditioned to give.” Most of those millions of dollars come to the Electric Preachers $25 or $50 at a time. Jerry Falwell, for example, may get 10,000 letters in a typical day’s mail, over half of which contain contributions.

Could Jesus Christ really approve of a religion that promises people easy salvation—no torture stake, no self-denial—for just a monthly check to somebody’s “worldwide TV ministry”? . Rather, it looks as if the Electric Church is a 20th-century example of what the apostle Paul warned Timothy about when he said: “For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”—2 Tim. 4:3, 4. . Why are people willing to give millions of dollars to support the Electric Church? Because they are being told what they want to hear. They are assured that God will answer their prayers. They do not have to deny themselves or ‘bear a cross’ or do the work Christ did, but they are “saved” and God loves them—just as long as they keep those checks coming in.

. scan 20001.

.scan 30001

. scan40001.

. scan 50001.

Atlantis!

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Thank you Atlantis. I was wondering if the WT had published an article on condemning Tele-evangelists and... You nailed it. Looks like every time they come up with something new, they are contradicting themselves- to make themselves look like what they actually are...asses!

HT.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I remember those articles well. the gb is such a bunch of ipocrities . Its a pattern with them that they always end up doing what they condemn

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Hairtrigger:

I totally agree! Thank you!

-----------------------------

wannaexit:

Thank you!

I remember them to! There are lots of Watchtower and Awake articles which condemn televangelists, and the Watchtower doesn't mind calling them every name in the book. All associated with Christendom of course!

Atlantis

• 4thgen
    4thgen

I know this is a repeat of what I commented on another thread, but I just can't help myself....I love the ccomment they wrote "Does that sound like eternal life can be yours by dialing channel 21?" Page 7. Hypocrites!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"The theology of the electric church is simplistic and self-gratifying"

You mean like JW TV!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"The theology of the electric church is simplistic and self-gratifying"

You mean like JW TV!

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

WOW! Great post Atlantis!!!

pg 7 par. 1 SAYS IT ALL!

"The need to constantly raise money for big projects like ""cathedrals"" (new assembly hall/kingdom hall fund) followed by desperate pleas to the faithful for more money (monthly pledge) to finish gods work!!!"

BOOM!!! EAT YOUR OWN WORDS YOU F&@$?#G DIRTY CULT!!!

They brazenly speak against donations for building churches, but they then have the hypocritical audacity to do the same exact thing!!!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Show these statements to the next JW who calls at your door ..........and his/her eyes will glaze over....blank stare.

smiddy

• designs
    designs

Nice find.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit