How many born ins actually stay?

by lostinthought 35 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Wing Commander, I also grew up in a south central PA circuit. And I know folks who have become Utz (am I right?) delivery men. It takes no skill, though the days are long. So sad for otherwise intelligent people.

I was in PA circuit #5. Maybe I know you...

Anyhow, my best friend growing up is living in a trailer. She was so smart. Her husband is a €ick, jw style. She pioneers and works part time. My other very good friend married a JW who was not so rabid. She works and they own a home, but they're still in. Neither have children, waiting for the New System, I guess.

Another friend I grew up with is still officially in, but basically has nothing to do with it, so faded, I guess.

I just feel like there was so much more they could've done with their lives.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was born-in/never baptized.

After graduating high school I moved away to go to college. I had to get away from it. I knew I couldn't be a JW.

I was never officially a JW but have had to deal with this crap all of my life as my parents were in this and some other family are still in. Of course these other family members don't really talk to us unless they absolutely have to.

Edited to add: My 2 brothers are also not JWs. They were never baptized.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

In my family, I am out along with my little brother. My older brother is still in. 1/3 born in success rate.

My ex elder dad stopped going 15 years ago also, that might alter the stats...

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

most of the born-ins i know stay in, i'd say its like 90%.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Franz in COC said it was 2/3 leave. Both the Pew report and Watchtower statistics agree with that figure.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The reason for such variation in our personal experiences might simply be that groups, like water, have cohesion. You can't spill less than a drop of water. Similarly, if everyone in a group stays in, they exert a hold on each other to stay in the religion. If more than one person in the group leaves, this could create a tipping point, because cohesion works both ways -- the water being spilled wants to draw more water with it, and the water that stays wants to hold onto the water that's spilling.

The end result might be that groups tend towards one extreme or the other -- most members leaving, or almost none leaving. Some members at the edge of every group will never follow the movement of the rest of the members because they also connect to other family/friends in the religion who are staying in and holding them in place, so one would not expect to see 100% leaving or staying in any arbitrary-defined group despite the law of cohesion.

I don't know if the math for this model would support my theory, I'm just thinking out loud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit