Aren't Watchtower literature trolleys and stands illegal?

by jwfacts 31 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In many places it is illegal to set up a stand and sell things in public without council approval. So why is it that JWs can set up their trolleys in busy public areas without being asked to move on?

I saw this article this morning about Muslims being asked to stop handing out leaflets in Parramatta, because it is illegal.

However, the Parramatta Dawah group had recently been told to stop handing out pamphlets and proselytising in malls and parks.

It is understood complaints had been made to the local council and police have asked the group to move on.

A Parramatta City Council spokesman said they regularly receive reports of people handing out pamphlets in public areas, which is a breach of the Local Government Act, and rangers issue fines. He stressed that it was not specific to any religious group.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/members-of-street-dawah-preaching-group-feature-heavily-in-sydneys-counterterrorism-raids-20140927-10myuk.html#ixzz3EZ9G5KKs

Yet JWs have been handing out leaflets outside the trainstation there for years, and now have trolleys set up as well.

If people started making complaints to the council (or relevant government body in your country), do you think that JWs could be forced to give up their new preaching method, or at least reduce the number of places they are seen?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

BTTT. I'm surprised there are no comments. If a concerted effort was made to call and make sure no laws JWs were not illegally setting up it could help reduce their current visibility.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I have not seen them here, but I agree that those setting up should be called on it if it is illegal for others. I can imagine those WTBTS lawyers drooling at that one. I wonder if they will "stand behind" the Muslims in this case?

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I don't think they are illegal where I live. I see them on the corner of the state capital building and there are lots of cops around.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

There is no such thing as an invisible JW

• steve2
    steve2

In my locality, all stalls at the weekend market where there is an (ineffective) JW literature trolley, need to be registered.

It is "policed" rigorously.

Therefore, the JW trolley is registered.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

To me trolly "witnessing" just cheapens the reputation/image of JW's. They are like the organ grinders with the cute little monkeys. (Just make sure you report your hours brothers)

just saying

eyeuse2badub

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I believe the effectiveness of the literature carts is to allow pioneers to count their hours more easily than going D2D.

Doc

• prologos
    prologos

dont give them ideas, they might bring back the loud speaker mode, and the videos and the carts combined.

may be carts could be equipped with a motion sensor to trigger 'the spiel'. It would work because

There is can be no motion detected from the time-counting 'guards'

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

In the UK they get permission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit