Are first world countries to blame for the bulk of third world squalor?

by tootired2care 52 Replies latest social current

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Australia is a rich country but has many people who live in squalor because they have no desire to get out of it

Exactly! That's the issue. Is a rich man responsible for the situation of a poor man that lives across town? I'm going to say no to that.

When I drive home everyday, i pass by several housing projects where it's clear that most that live there, spend their days sitting on the porch doing nothing, or wasting time walking around doing nothing useful. Who is at fault for their situation?

On the other hand i see entire families arriving in the country from some asian countries who within a couple of years, are fully integrated with their own business and pursuing education in America. Who is responsible for their situation?

• humbled
    humbled

If one is born in despair it is hard to have a vision of hope, redvip2000.

As a previous poster mentioned, the squalor of Native American reservations does not reflect the culture that they had before their decimation and removal.

They have a culture now--but it too often has become one of violence and substance abuse.

Have you ever lived in a broken community? I have lived in a community that has been breaking down for the past 40 years. The grandparents of the young men and women having babies here were hard working, pretty solid folks. There has been a breach in the culture--I have watched it--been involved in it-I raised 7 children around it. The young are struggling and failing to a great extent. The people on the margins of a technological society need strong families to make it--when the vision breaks down it is hard to repair.

When you get to know the back story of some, it is not so easy to write them off.

also--about housing projects-Sometimes it is hard to assess what you see(And of course, I don't know what YOU, redvip are seeing at all) But the poor always have had more street presence than the middle class.

My daughter had a photo essay that was the cover story published two months ago in the Washington Post about the housing project she lives in. It's also on line. It doesn't take a "position" on who is responsible. But it gives more texture to the discussion were have here.

Type in "Darcy Courteau Washington Post" " the Faces of Carver Langston"

Edit: To gather my posts on this topic--yes, there is a lot of responsiblity among the "haves" for the situation of the "have nots" that result from their invasive and extractive use of the land and the people (sometimes in their own countries). But I am trying to say that it isn't as simple as some would have it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

tootired2care - "Are first world countries to blame for the bulk of third world squalor?"

Arguably, yes.

They are also "to blame" for much of the efforts to alleviate third world squalor, with the latter steadily outweighing the former more and more, IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit