Do as we say not as we do.. (or spiritual hypocrites to those in the trade.)

by Dis-Member 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yep, it turned out much better for you than if you had been a lazy born-in like me :-) I coasted through the religion until my 30s before waking up when it finally became enough of an inconvenience to be a JW and I decided I ought to make sure it was the truth.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I coasted through the religion until my 30s before waking up when it finally became enough of an inconvenience to be a JW

That's 25-30 years sooner than I woke up.

Some of us are just mule-headed stubborn.

Doc

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I coasted through the religion until my 30s before waking up when it finally became enough of an inconvenience to be a JW and I decided I ought to make sure it was the truth.

What were your conclusions Apognophos?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wow. Only 3 years wasted as a JW. Good for you for waking up and leaving. You are some smart fellow.

LL

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

What were your conclusions Apognophos?

Well, once I ended up on JWfacts somehow, it became clear pretty quickly that it couldn't be the truth. I think the death knell for the "truth" was reading about the organ transplant flip-flop. I'd never heard anything about this before. I could come up with apologetics for lots of other things on the site, and many of them I already knew about, but I couldn't conceive of God letting his organization ban something (with clearly specious reasoning, I might add) in 1967, and then lift the ban in 1980 (specifically taking back their earlier reasoning in the process) only after some JWs had no doubt died from needing an organ transplant.

I think it's impossible to for anyone to reasonably defend this as something that God would allow to happen, and of course the Society didn't apologize in any way for going from banning it to making it a conscience matter. Not only did they make it a conscience matter, which was reminiscent of what happened when they made blood fractions a conscience matter ("We can't admit this is actually okay after all these years without getting in big trouble, so we'll just say that mayyybe it's okay and there's nothing specifically prohibiting it"), but they also kicked one of the legs out from under the no-blood teaching when they acknowledged that an organ being transplanted into someone is not the same as eating that organ.

Anyway, the hardest part was working up the courage to do the research, which took about a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit