My neighbor is a return visit. Should I say something?

by Zoos 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoos
    Zoos

I stayed home sick from work the other day and noticed a car group pull up to my neighbor's house. She's a stay-at-home mom. I decided it was time to retrieve something from my truck to see if I could recognize the visiting sisters. I didn't. I thought to walk over and say hi... I didn't. (I DID have a stomach virus - didn't want to pass it on.)

I have since thought to say something to her and her husband about my history with that group. I haven't yet. Not sure if it's my place to stick my nose in it. On one hand I'm sure she's bored to tears all day and loves the visits. Talk about a nicety all wrapped up in a turd.

Should I arm the woman with knowledge or just give a general warning? Eh... I guess that would depend on what her intentions are. Not sure how to handle.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

How well do you know your neighbor? Do you regularly talk with her?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I would at the very least give her some verifiable information (even anonymously) which she could present to the Witnesses on their next visit. Just remember, (with all due respect) most people who are visited by JW's,

a) know little or nothing about the Bible, and b) know virtually nothing about JW.ORG's draconian and unscriptural practices and teachings!

Therefore, they can be prime candidates for cultifying!!

Give her the help she needs, before she gets drawn into the middle of the spider's web!

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I think telling her about your experience would be a very good idea and perhaps also tell her what to expect in terms of love-bombing and not really giving you the 'meat' until she is very truly entwined. Talking about the potential impact of being recruited on her marriage based on any observations you have from your time may also be helpful.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I would weigh this up carefully, after all it is happening on your doorstep. You don't want bad relationships with your nieghbours. I would sugesst to her to look up jwfacts.com in conjunction with jw.org. She may find it useful to look at both sites and compare.

I think that just telling her about a website can be less intrusive and if she wants to ask you about your experience you can be more personal at a later stage.

Kate xx

• TheListener
    TheListener

Most return visits end up going nowhere. Hopefully your neighbor will naturally fizzle out as a return visit. I think you have to be careful how much you say because if she becomes a witness you may end up with an unfriendly neighbor.

I've thought about giving a return visit the link to jwfacts but then I also wondered if the return visit asks the dubs visiting them some of the issues they read about and get answers that satisfy them (even if they're crap answers) it may speed up their indoctrination instead of stopping it.

Imho I would just mention to the neighbor that you saw the witnesses the other day at her door while you were home sick and wondered what's up. You will probably be able to tell right away what she really thinks about the dubs.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I've thought about giving a return visit the link to jwfacts but then I also wondered if the return visit asks the dubs visiting them some of the issues they read about and get answers that satisfy them (even if they're crap answers) it may speed up their indoctrination instead of stopping it.- TheListener

I think this is highly unlikely, they will see the comparisons between the sites and know WT is a cult. If they have been love bombed they won't even read jwfacts.com. Recruitment is an emotional process, if the householder is not emotionally invested they will respond to what jwfacts.com says. If they are already friends with the JWs the householder will not entertain anything else, it's too late then.

Kate xx

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hey Zoos (uh no Biblical Jesus reference intended there )... maybe just start a casual convo with her about noticing the JWs came to her house and ask her opinion... then go from there. I think if she's interested then definitely give her the jwfacts.com website for her research and ask her if she is aware of some of the key (nasty) doctrines.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I'd talk to your neighbour but in the third person, like "I know a few of those JWs, they have some strange ideas. Did you know they shun family members if they leave? Weird huh!" Then I would leave it at that, any more and you may seem to be the weird one.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

you'll do more harm than good

just let them get tired of JW's coming around all by themselves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit