JW stand on Philosophy is inexcusable!

by Pinku 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

"Philosophy is doubt."- Michel de Montaigne

And that in a 'nut shell' is why the Governing Body and Jehovahs Witnesses in general fear any form of Philosophy.

• Pinku
    Pinku

OnTheWayOut

My conclusion is obviously beyond any doubt--doing good to others without any expectation of a reward in return. And this can never be misleading. Yet you use the terms such as misleading ....narrow view.... !

It's difficult to grasp your view! Yet I wish you all the good.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I know that philosophy is a lot of things. But my go to answer for its value is that it helps us make sure that we're asking the right questions.

Of course, in JW land - the questions are pre-supplied at the bottom of the page ...

• talesin
    talesin

My parents had a major freak-out when I told them I was studying philosophy. Seemed crazy to me. Seriously, WTF?

tal

• talesin
    talesin

OTWO - hey, that's one of the "20 Questions" in the well-known textbook. "Is there any such thing as real altruism? Or is feeling good the reward? Discuss"

And Pinku, I guess you kinda provide an example that would support the "no" part of the debate.

tal

• prologos
    prologos
    love of wisdom, wt fears it. They do not the ones they control to become wise to the situation they are in.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

1. What do you mean by Torah?

Some consider the first five books of the bible to be the only Torah; do you mean Torah as the totality of Jewish worldview?

Torah (/ˈtɔːrəˌˈtoʊrə/; Hebrew: תּוֹרָה, "Instruction, Teaching"), or the Pentateuch (/ˈpɛntəˌtuːk, -ˌtjuːk/), is the central reference of the religious Judaic tradition. It has a range of meanings. It can most specifically mean the first five books of the twenty-four books of the Tanakh, and it usually includes the rabbinic commentaries. The term Torah means instruction and offers a way of life for those who follow it; it can mean the continued narrative from Genesis to the end of the Tanakh, and it can even mean the totality of Jewish teaching, culture and practice.[1][need quotation to verify] Common to all these meanings, Torah consists of the foundational narrative of the Jews: their call into being by God, their trials and tribulations, and their covenant with their God, which involves following a way of life embodied in a set of moral and religious obligations and civil laws (halakha)

2. Are you suggesting that Paul's view was that sacrifices as described in the first five books were not from God?

The letter to Hebrews, if you take it at face value, would suggest otherwise.

• done4good
    done4good

As an anecdote, this is a direct quote I received from a, (very intelligent), JW friend in an email two years ago:

"A 19th-century German poet said “Philosophy and religion are irreconcilable.” Philosophy is based on human experience and puts human interests foremost. True religion is based upon divine revelation. First and foremost, it revolves around the interests of our Creator, not around the 'topics that are of greatest concern to man'".

This quote exists nowhere other than WT literature to my knowledge, and true to WT form, does not cite the source. The context behind her quoting this to me was an exchange we had that raised her cognitive dissonance to levels she obviously could not handle.

JWs don't even understand what philosophy is, even the intelligent ones.

d4g

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Philosophy is the study of the general and fundamental nature of reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason,mind, and language.

-- Wikipedia

My definition: Analyzing reality without all the superstitious bullshit.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Interesting post Pinku.

Back in 2006, I was browsing the Feb 15th WT of that year. The article referenced an author named Professor John K. Roth and his text "Holocaust Politics". So I imported the book from the USA. Well was I surprised to learn on the inside cover that the author is a Professor of Philosophy!

I then realised that the WTS can be two faced when it suits them. It suits them rather a lot nowadays!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit